The Rockfox Amageza buggy project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Ok as I am warned by everyone in the family that I'm getting to old for intense bike riding I finally decided to go on 4 wheels. Yup, 4 wheels in this fashion is also 'Adventure Riding'  :biggrin:

As Mike and I did build a Formula Vee single seater we have a rough idea what this involve. (Or so we hope)  My initial plan was to go single seater but due to the limited (MSA) race events for this class in SA we had to go two seater.  SANORA/MSA  (The Donaldson series) are way to exclusive and expensive for normal privateers.  WOMSA, the 'other' motorsport group in SA do cater for SideBySides etc. I could not find the link to their 'Rulebook' on the site so will phone tomorrow.  Will report back as soon as I know.  Ultimately the car must be designed and built according to acceptable regulations.  Everyone refers to FIA (europe) or SCORE (america) regs.  Even Dakar (FIA/FIM) refers to SCORE to allow the American trucks (Robby Gordon type).  The FIA specify almost everything whereas SCORE do the same but without all the angles and dimensions.

Anything in the two seater (side by side) class are basically limited to the Polaris RZR which also requires a massive 'rebuild' to be competition legal w.r.t. roll cage etc etc. I had a long look at those at 2016 WC Baja.  Then do not even talk about cost and reliability. (Clutch and belt) There are a few locally designed and built cars but none that suit our criteria. They use 1600cc or 2l motors which fall outside the FIA/SCORE T3 light class which are limited to 1000cc and must have 'mudguards' etc etc.

Phase one:
Select a donor vehicle to use as evaluation platform. It will be much quicker and cheaper to start with a rolling chassis and work from there. (Like what the rich people do with a RZR.  We will stick to 2x4 for cost and complexity. (The Dakar winning Peugeot is 2x4  :) )

Pic 1.  G-Force Baleka buggy. R 145 000.00 with 2l Golf motor and Audi box. Pros: nice, fast reliable. Cons: single seat, open wheels, exposed fuel etc etc.

Pic 2. RZR with tube frame. K@k expensive and frame not FIA legal.

Pic 3. Tim Coronel 2015 Buggy. Single seat, Hyabusha motor. Only for the rich. (go and search the running cost on these (R 18 000 clutch every 10 000km)

Pic 4. Cheap Chinese buggy. OK, not so cheap. R 150 000 new (2015 price) K@k engine and unreliable CVT 'gearbox'  Rollcage TOTALLY not rally spec.  BUT at the right price it could be a perfect starting point. AND IT IS ROADWORTHY!!

Pic 5. Simple roll cage upgrade to FIA spec.

OK, the hunt is on. Looking for a donor car. OK, got one. Need some work on the motor (told you motor is crap) but otherwise in good condition.

Pic 6.  After an eventful day at Dirt n Dust (Or Dirt n Mud).  I think it will be an acceptable donor for the project.  Cant remember when last did I had so much fun without being scared.

Rest to follow.

Adie

Attachments

• tuberzr.jpg
    tuberzr.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,221
  • Buggy-01-28.jpg
    Buggy-01-28.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 1,234
  • Donor.jpg
    Donor.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 1,224