Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Rockfox Amageza buggy project  (Read 15998 times)

Offline WP

Re: The Rockfox Amageza buggy project
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2016, 12:30:40 pm »
Back from a hectic (halfway through) project.

We stripped the motor out of the ATOS that will be used as new drivetrain.  As mentioned before we will go 2 wheel drive only and limited slip diff/lockable option.

Ahe ATOS is from SMD. 120 000km running order drivetrain.  Car must have rolled as only one window not broken.  No 'straight' body panel remained.  If I had to buy a Motor, Grarbox, CV's, Driveshafts, radiator, loom etc etc it would cost probably 30% more.  We will take the parts I do not need to the scrap steel merchants. (I have no desire to start a scrapyard.) (Het alreeds te veel rommel op die plot)

Ok, motor out but still on subframe.  This will make measurements with respect to mounting points etc etc easier.  We will design a new subframe that use as much as possible of the existing frame.  The motor must be 'lifted out' with minimum work.  We will design new trailing arms to match the ATOS wheel hubs. (We will sell the existing motor, gearbox complete with side shafts and hubs.)  The shockabsorber mounting points will also be flexible for suspension tuning.

We are considering an aftermarket engine management system.  Diktator or Spitronics.  I have no experience with either of the two products so the choice will be based on price and ease of installation.  >:(

We will strip the original motor and drive train out this week. Would like to have the car driving again in 3 weeks.

Adie

Hi Adie

Een van my pelle is die plaaslike spitronics agent, hy sal vir jou baie informasie ens kan gee, laat weet my as jy sy nommer wil he.

Offline seankriel

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • I'm Living it!
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2016, 01:50:18 pm »
Addie

Is that a automatic or manual?

I was considering changing my Hajadu to a Atos automatic as adding the clutch pedal system to the very small foot space are would be a bit mad?

Can I came have a look please?

Sean - Amageza Start marshal!

No it is a manual.  Depending on how you look at it the space will not be a problem.  We had all the pedals for the Formula VEE in less than 350 x 350mm.  The gearchange will be via standard cables as the 'link' is now 'behind' the engine.

Feel free to contact me for a visit.  Oppie Plotte in Joostenberg.  Kyk op rockfox.co.za vir kontak nommers en padaanwysings.

Adie

Dankie Adie

I will pop in later in the week. Will give you a call before to confirm it's OK. My buggy is standing in my garage looking nice but standing is not what it was meant to do! I have to do a engine change some time as well. Seems you know what you're doing so maybee you can show,assit, or  we can work something out.

Chat soon!!

Sean
It's not what you know and it's not who you know. It's what you know about who you know.

Offline seankriel

• Pack Dog
  • I'm Living it!
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2016, 10:30:42 am »
DANKIE Oom Addie

Jy het my nuwe insperasie gegee vir my buggy!!

Ons maak n plan!!
It's not what you know and it's not who you know. It's what you know about who you know.

Offline Dirt Junkie

• I talk less and ride more than a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2016, 06:43:30 pm »
Interesting
2003 KTM 640 adv,  Aprilia RS 250, Yamaha YZ450F, 2014 KTM 690, 2010 KTM 690R, 2011 BMW F800GS, Yamaha XT600E , 2012 KTM 250 SX-F , KTM 400 EXC, Kawasaki  KLR650, Honda 125 estorm, 2012 KTM 300 XCW, 2008 KTM 690, 2006 BMW G650Xchallenge

Current:  2007 KTM 640 Adv, 2011 KTM 250 Xcw,  1979 Suzuki SB200

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2016, 11:31:00 pm »
Ok, after delay's setbacks etc. etc. I had some time to continue with the project.  The aim is to have the car on the road before Shutdown.

With the motor available and after more research we updated the frame to accommodate different engines. (All transverse).  We changed the frame design to ease fabrication as well as allow easy modification during evaluation and development. The front suspension will mounted via a bolt on 'subframe'.  This will allow us to make even major design changes without any cutting or welding.  The penalty will be less than 5kg. in total weight.  We estimate the complete frame with all gussets and braces to be less than 110kg.

All CAD sizes will now be validated in real life on the building table.  The frame will be built in stages to ensure the design is 'practical'.  Need to confirm comfort of seating position, shoulder clearance, forward visibility etc etc.

Pic 1 is the general idea to validate the 'looks' of the frame.  I will not design the body panels on CAD as I am self taught so don't know how  :-[

Pic 2 is the interference check if the front suspension at full travel and steering lock.  The offending tube will be moved to retain strength etc etc.

Adie

Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline seankriel

• Pack Dog
  • I'm Living it!
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2016, 11:07:56 am »
HI Adie

Is that buggie nearly ready? You have got about a month left for the test run. Show us some pics?

S

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2016, 11:59:13 am »
Sub!  :sip:

Offline Bazinga

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Nat-Su-Kow
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2016, 01:16:10 pm »
 :sip:

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #DTCBM
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2016, 01:24:37 pm »
Bliksem  :drif:
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado,Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
BMW 1200 GSA, 800GSA
http://www.addobackpackers.com

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2016, 07:18:17 pm »
Ok, did some preparation of the 'Project room'.  This space was earmarked for project related work from day one.  We just never got around getting it organized.  We decided to first get everything in place before the actual build will start.

One side will be used for the Buggy's and the other side will still be for bike projects.

The building table will be completed this week. Basically a super rigid 1.5m x 2.9m table with 4mm steel top where the locating clamps/parts can be bolted on to ensure everything is straight and flat.  Critical parts like the rear trailing arms, suspension points etc. will be assembled on a 'self aligning jig' (The stops, clamps etc will be located via laser cut lugs and tabs.)

Pic 1:  Cutting the build table frame, painting the new table/shelves, cleaning.
Pic 2:  Rockfox shipment for Italy, waiting for courier. Cleaning.
Pic 3:  Almost done, Pegboard with tools etc etc to do.
Pic 4:  check if other stuff can still fit.
Pic 5:  Halfway there

Pic 6:  Suspension in bottom out position
Pic 7: Suspension in full extend position.
Pic 8: Seat i want but WAAII too expensive for first prototype.

Ok, we ordered the sheet for the build table, will pick up tomorrow.  I could initially borrow a 38mm tube bender but now it might not happen.  so,
Pic 9: ** Sample from interweb ** out with the CAD and the design hat. Will do a simple JD2 ratchet type as start.  Will put hydraulics on later as we are probably going to use 50mm for the roll cage.

till later, got work to do.
Adie
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 07:22:38 pm by Weedkiller - Adie »
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline goblin

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2016, 08:30:35 pm »
sub

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2016, 11:27:35 pm »
Ok, Getting pressed for time now.

Basic tube bender design done.  Will double check everything tomorrow before the steel is ordered.  The hydraulic cylinder will be added later.  Will do initial tests with the standard ratchet power bar.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline seankriel

• Pack Dog
  • I'm Living it!
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2016, 11:01:01 am »
SJO!!

As jy nie n Tool het nie - moet nie een koop nie - Bou een! Ek like Meester Adie!!

Ek sal maar moet kom inpop as die build begin!

S

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2016, 05:56:56 pm »

Basic tube bender design done.  Will double check everything tomorrow before the steel is ordered.  The hydraulic cylinder will be added later.  Will do initial tests with the standard ratchet power bar.

Adie

Check die absoluut useless bender wat Anderdorff verkoop vir relatief cheap. Die enigste ding wat jy kan gebruik is die hydraulic silinder. Ek het een en het al die ander dele van die bender weg gebliksem. Ek wou nog altyd so 'n bender bou... sal seker een of ander dag daarby uitkom.
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Grey hound
  • #DTCBM
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2016, 06:21:18 pm »

Adie

Check die absoluut useless bender wat Anderdorff verkoop vir relatief cheap. Die enigste ding wat jy kan gebruik is die hydraulic silinder. Ek het een en het al die ander dele van die bender weg gebliksem. Ek wou nog altyd so 'n bender bou... sal seker een of ander dag daarby uitkom.

Ou Groenie Potgieter is terug  :peepwall: :imaposer:
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado,Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
BMW 1200 GSA, 800GSA
http://www.addobackpackers.com

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2016, 03:51:56 pm »
Steel arrived.  R 1 400.00 worth of steel for a R 15 000.00 bender. >:D

Now need to start machining.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline badballie

• Macum Amicum Est
  • Race Dog
  • www.bikersagainstdrugs.co.za
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2016, 04:43:05 pm »
Sub   :thumleft:
Cash, Gas or Ass............ no-one rides for free :-)

I did it because I can, I can because I want to and I want to because you said that I couldn't !!!!!!!

Offline seankriel

• Pack Dog
  • I'm Living it!
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2016, 05:52:35 pm »
Steel arrived.  R 1 400.00 worth of steel for a R 15 000.00 bender. >:D

Now need to start machining.

Adie

Will you build me one as well? Lol!! Ill need one next year for my Cruiser project. we will have to talk!

Nice!!

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2016, 09:15:36 am »
Aldie

Het jy meer inligting oor daai bike lift ... neem aan jy het hom gebou ?
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline jog t/a

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2016, 09:34:50 am »
Hi Adie

Maybe you know already but if not here goes. You get two Atos engine's  -

Improved one - cam belt sprocket on crank with round hole and key way - no worries

Its predecessor - Sprocket and crank had no key way and crank had to flat sides machine to accommodate sprocket - this one is prone to wear and then throws out timing and eats into crank and timing plate and ultimately the oil pump casing.
CTX 200 to 700 T/Alp