KOES AND OTHER PLEASANT PLACES

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRAVELTRAVEL

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Intro
I first heard about the Koës Pan Rally a few years ago.  Since then, I have always wanted to go but it somehow never materialized, either due to work commitments or just plain budget constraints. However this year, I decided that despite all of that, I would somehow make a plan and go.
After discussing the matter with Road Hog, WanderingWeeHen (WWH), Flossie, Shimbungu, Eduan and Chris (our small group of Bike Buddies), it was decided after a good few glasses of red-out-the-box (read papsak) that everyone was keen to go.
As usual it turned out that some couldn’t make it.  Eventually only WWH, Shimbungu and myself (GT) set off.
On Tuesday evening I was still fabricating and fitting aluminium support plates for WWH’s soft luggage on her XT. Shimbungu and I also had work to do our bikes.  Shimbungu buckled his front wheel about two weeks ago and had to have the rim replaced and respoked.  He only got the bike back two before. In the same incident he also broke the wind deflector and caused some damage to the electrical system. The wind deflector was put together like a puzzle and repaired with Q-bond. We gave up on the electrics as it only involved the indicators and tail light.
In my case I decided a few weeks ago to replace the rear wheel with a car rim and tyre (not having to lean the bike anymore) The mods to the wheel and the machining of the adaptor took longer than expected and on Wednesday evening at about 22h00 the last stud was only tightened. No chance to test anything! That was quite worrying but I had no choice. That completed my first Dark Side conversion.
Flossie (who lives across the road from me) was kind enough to get a braai going while the rest of us packed and tightened everything. Shimbungu crashed at my place (as he is notoriously late when we have to set off anywhere). On Thursday morning we completed the packing and the last tightening of straps as well as a whole spider’s web of straps and bungee cords to hold on WWH’s new Enduristan soft luggage (we could not properly figure out all the various straps and buckles at short notice).

Attachments

• 20160630_084620.jpg
    20160630_084620.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 444
  • 20160630_084633.jpg
    20160630_084633.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 475
  • 20160630_084637.jpg
    20160630_084637.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 435