Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM: Ready to let you down…..  (Read 27735 times)

Offline lecap

Re: KTM: Ready to let you down…..
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2016, 09:23:17 am »
I have two DR650SE.
The first one has done 140,000km. Engine never opened. On a 3,500km trip last October I had to top up half a litre of oil.
The second one needed a main bearing replaced after 40,000km.

My other 5 DR650SE I owned (mostly sold with a lot of kilometres) all ran without any issues.
Ganjora's DR650SE detonated its engine from a disassembling gear.

Hundreds of DR's out there run without ever giving trouble.
A few fail. Some catastrophically.

:-\

What now ??? Is Suzuki shite or not ???

I agree with maintenance being a major issue.

I simply do not ride unreliable bike  :thumleft:.

I sell them :ricky:

:laughing4:
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2016, 09:28:49 am »
Enige brand bike sal kak as jy hom deur jou gat trek.

Niks is fail proof nie.m Nie eers n Hilux nie.
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline Bappas

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2016, 09:39:04 am »
There is a similarety between KTM and Toyota owners. Any problems they have are swept under the carpet as isolated.

KTM nice bike! Had 4 al with problems galore! Nice Maybe  but definiatly not a good bike!!

And then the agents. Realy!!
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers...What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

Offline weskus

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vrek gewerk!!
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2016, 10:04:42 am »
Also owned quite a lot of different brands, then went on to DS with a Dakar which were 2month old at 4000km (which were aparently bulletproof) Gave me a lot of shit up to 48 000km, bought a 800BMW new, gave me shit from the first recall till the last and ate 8 sets of wheelbearings up to 38 000km before broken in half (not really, but like to call it that) Bought a 990 adventure then with 1000km on the clock, sitting at 40 000km now and NEVER gave me shit (a fuelfilter on a Lesotho trip needed cleaning and replace afterwards) service it every 5000km, done Amageza with it, touring Lesotho about 3 times in k@k 2 spoor and tracks, two-up trips through Nam almost everywhere, the best bike I ever owned.. I replaced the wheelbearing now as precaution, just a problem with rear tyres...
Vorige scooters : Suzuki TS 185, Honda CD 200, Suzuki PE 250, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha 495 IT, Kawasaki KLX 300, BMW F 650 GS Dakar, BMW F 800 GS, KDX200, KTM300, Suzuki GSXR1000, Honda CD200, tans KTM 990 Adv - toer,  KTM 300 XCW- funrides, KTM 1290 Superduke teerpad en Buff toe & Honda CX500 Custom - bar toe..

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2016, 10:07:50 am »

or do you always just give stupid opinions without reason?

You started with the stupid opinions.

Performance cars, bikes, anything can be reliable and are too, even though the components are more stressed than the non-performance ones.

Using performance as an excuse for something being unreliable is still a bullshit excuse.

Edit: Shorter lifespan due to higher performance does not equal unreliability - does not take a degree to understand that.
I dont know man. I gave reasons for my reasoning/opinion. You dont other than stating I am wrong.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline OFFROAD FANATICS

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2016, 10:24:06 am »

Its the same with ranger vs hilux.

I agree with you...I think when the 950 ktm Adventure was launched in 2003 it had more power than the new 2016 honda africa twin ....and that is just amazing. I never by the 1st new model in a motorcycle range because there are always some problems that need to be fixed! That is 13 years man!!!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 10:25:57 am by OFFROAD FANATICS »
KEEP THE MOMENTUM - 2017 KTM 350 XCF
KAKAF TOT MôRE - 2017 KTM 300 XCW
KAN TRUMP MOTORCYCLES  - 2014 KTM 1190 R
KEEN TO MOVE - 2013 KTM RC8R - THE ORIGINAL DNA

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2016, 11:05:51 am »
Also owned quite a lot of different brands, then went on to DS with a Dakar which were 2month old at 4000km (which were aparently bulletproof) Gave me a lot of shit up to 48 000km, bought a 800BMW new, gave me shit from the first recall till the last and ate 8 sets of wheelbearings up to 38 000km before broken in half (not really, but like to call it that) Bought a 990 adventure then with 1000km on the clock, sitting at 40 000km now and NEVER gave me shit (a fuelfilter on a Lesotho trip needed cleaning and replace afterwards) service it every 5000km, done Amageza with it, touring Lesotho about 3 times in k@k 2 spoor and tracks, two-up trips through Nam almost everywhere, the best bike I ever owned.. I replaced the wheelbearing now as precaution, just a problem with rear tyres...

I take it back. You highlighted two problems I have with my KTM more than the other bikes.

1. It gives me a smile on my face that can not be surgically removed. (Man!!! some of the other brand riders are just sour. Riding is sposed to be fun. Live!!!!)

2. Back Tyres!!!! I never get more than 3500km out of them.

Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Regis Laconi

• Enjoy The Freedom
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2016, 11:15:58 am »
I've been riding for 16 years.  Small bikes, big bikes old and new.  Off roads and road bikes.  I've never ever had a single problem with any of my bikes.  I bought a new 300 XCW and a new 690 Enduro.  Also not one single problem with them.  I bought my 990 Adventure R with 34 000 km on the clock and I've done 10 400 km in 3 months.  Not a single problem.  I'm hoping my luck holds...

Maybe some people just abuse their bikes or they buy bad second hand bikes.  My father told me when I was a laaitjie, If you look after your vehicle your vehicle will look after you.  Best advice I ever got.
Enjoy The Freedom...

Offline Master Beerkie

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Master Beerkie
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2016, 11:19:39 am »
950 has done 87,000km and the 620 (always flat taps) at 36,000km.
No kak whatsoever ‘cos Runner is my friend.
A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.

Presently: KH250, GT550, KLE500, 620 Duke, 950 Adv
Previously: TS185 (plaasbike), PE250, 420KDX, 450KDX, 600 Pantah, 1000 Jota (180°), XRV 750

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2016, 11:24:47 am »
 :sip:

bike reliability issues.....   what does that mean?

->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2016, 11:41:07 am »

bike reliability issues.....   what does that mean?

Pasop jy val in die selfde klas as ons met dooie onintersante bikes :peepwall: :lol8:
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8
2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE   2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE   TW200 Project Bike

As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet

Offline JohnB

« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2016, 11:53:17 am »
Just take a spare fuel pump wherever you go and you will be sorted ;) :thumleft:

True story. Only time I was left stranded..well kinda. I managed to limp home. Other than some known issues and some preventative maintenance, its a pretty cool scoot to own.

I feel the same way about Kawa. Killed a couple of them without any effort. Luck of the draw I guess
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2016, 12:01:26 pm »
Almost all motorcyclists are irrationally opinionated. I know I am, although the only brand that I am prone to put down, my opinion is more related to the type of machine, which is definitely not my cuppa tea, than their ability to make motorcycles.
I find for example the general condemnation of Chinese machines to be irrational given my own ownership of a Chinese bike for which I can find nothing but praise, and the similar experience of several friends. That's bearing in mind of course their price, and while realistically of course they may not be of quite the same quality as the 'mainstream' manufacturers their value definitely exceeds the cheap price in my opinion.
More irrational opinion:- I read on the forum a while back some advice given to someone who was asking about buying a Suzuki DR650. He was advised to shun it because they have an 'exploding' engine! An opinion no doubt based upon a single observation of a machine that may well have been abused or poorly maintained.
Contrast that with the testimonial of LeCap and a myriad of other owners.
For my sins I own a BMW 1150 GS (Oh, shudder!) One of my good riding buddies, otherwise a very nice and generally knowledgeable chap, just cannot resist any opportunity to decry the unreliability of all BMW's. The large final drive bearing for example 'always' fails within 20,000km. This remark was prompted when another friend had to replace his at around  100,000, and the fact that mine shows no sign of a problem at 114,000, plus numerous others that can boast of much higher figures, these are all 'exceptions'. In general they all pack up at around 20k. because someone who does a lot of them told him so.
Same when my fuel pump recently gave notice. I say gave notice because it didn't just pack up and leave me stranded, but gave audible advance warning. Once again my 13 year old unit had to be the exception, because he 'knows' that they all give out at the same ubiquitous 20,000.
As to KTM as a brand I can't comment from experience, but it stands to reason that when a manufacturer boasts that their engine is the lightest and most compact in it's class whilst delivering the highest power in it's class, then more maintenance and shorter component life is probably to be expected, but this is not the same thing as unreliability.
Everyone's experience will be different. for every horror story there will be many contrasting good reports, and I feel that all opinions, even qualified knowledgeable ones need to be carefully considered and seasoned with the proverbial pinch.

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2016, 12:18:52 pm »
I have had a lot of bikes over the 40 years. Never ever had a breakdown ever.
I suspect lack of hands on maintenance by the owners has got a lot to do how reliable a bike is.

Agree with this, no one manufacturer can afford to make a bad product anymore or they are done for. Do one get duds form time to time, yes one do, even Toyota does but on average you are more likely to get a good product form them. That being said it seems one is more likely to get a poor product from KTM, but again I think hands on maintenance is the key to any mechanical things longevity. 
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
Vrou se NC700.

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2016, 12:22:40 pm »
I gave up my last ride to trailer a buddy home......... YES you guessed it......... 990  ;D ;)
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2016, 12:23:30 pm »
More irrational opinion:- I read on the forum a while back some advice given to someone who was asking about buying a Suzuki DR650. He was advised to shun it because they have an 'exploding' engine! An opinion no doubt based upon a single observation of a machine that may well have been abused or poorly maintained.

that was me.
the bike was perfectly looked after and maintained as all my bike are.
there's also a number of other DR650's that have had exactly the same issue.
have a look on advrider,  and see the number of fails.
KLR's have doohickey issues,   Suzuki have gear issues,  both can cause an exploding motor.

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2016, 12:26:16 pm »
i did the search for you  ;)
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/dr650-3rd-gear-blowups.424132/
70 odd pages about the problem...

Offline Draadtang

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • KTM 950,KTM 450 SX,KTM 300 EXC
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2016, 11:55:34 am »
One of our riding buddies has sold his 690 and bought an XR650L for abovementioned reasons. May be a bit of a stretch to touch terra firma for him on his left or his right leg at any given time on the new bike but with an XRL you only gotta worry about the CDI breaking once.

And exhaust valves coming loose
In the spirit of adventure,open to all riders and carrying a massage of friendship between all men(Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the PARIS DAKAR)
Born in the 70,s grew up in the 80,s & got drunk in the 90,s

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2016, 12:10:57 pm »
My 1190 was the most unreliable vehicle I have ever used, and I spent a few years driving landfailure defenders.

I will buy another one, it was also the most fun vehicle I ever used. Much more fun than my modified Subaru.
I have yet to find a great performing vehicle of any kind that is very reliable.
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2016, 12:12:50 pm »

that was me.
the bike was perfectly looked after and maintained as all my bike are.
there's also a number of other DR650's that have had exactly the same issue.
have a look on advrider,  and see the number of fails.
KLR's have doohickey issues,   Suzuki have gear issues,  both can cause an exploding motor.

You forgot about the DR650 NSU screws that fall out also grenading the motor.
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...