Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM: Ready to let you down…..  (Read 29883 times)

Offline J-dog

Re: KTM: Ready to let you down…..
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2016, 12:30:33 pm »
I have owned a 300, 690, 950 and 990.

The 300 was reliable, except the happy button failed.

The 690 was unreliable due to electrical and EFI issues. Left me stranded on several occasions.

The 950 gave me endless shit ranging from fuel pump to battery to wheel bearings fucking out after 1000km. Let me stranded several times.

The 990 I sold after a few months because of the twitchy throttle. It was like having sex with a tourettes ADD sufferer.

Offline J-dog

« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2016, 12:34:51 pm »
Oh, forgot to mention. Most of the time that the KTM's spent in the workshop took anything from 2-12 weeks before fixed. Also forgot to mention the overheating on the 950, which seems to be a common problem. Time in the workshop - 2 months and still not fixed.  ???

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2016, 12:39:55 pm »
MiniDan has just had an eventful weekend on his 690, riding from Mosselbay to Elandsbay on Friday and back again on Monday.

Constant headlight fuses blowing, and keep in mind that his previous 690 was actually written off because of electrical failure, a burnt loom.

But, like someone mentioned here, these are such stupendous motorcycles to ride that you are prone to forgive them more. :thumleft:

Offline CG

• Puppy
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2016, 02:55:50 pm »
On the topic of KTM's I am new to the brand, so quick question. I have a 1190R and had the 1000km run in service done recently. I added 1200km subsequently. I noticed this weekend the oil level is on 1/4 after it was fulled up on service. What is the oil consumption like on these? I am worried and thinking I need to carriy extra oil on me.
Thanks

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2016, 03:01:14 pm »
On the topic of KTM's I am new to the brand, so quick question. I have a 1190R and had the 1000km run in service done recently. I added 1200km subsequently. I noticed this weekend the oil level is on 1/4 after it was fulled up on service. What is the oil consumption like on these? I am worried and thinking I need to carriy extra oil on me.
Thanks

Did you check the oil when engine was warm or cold?

Engine needs to be at operating temp to check oil. It WILL show a shortage when cold.

If you add oil when its cold, you will overfill it and it will blow out.

Offline CG

• Puppy
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2016, 03:19:20 pm »
Was checking at the required 1-2min after operating temp.

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2016, 03:51:54 pm »
aftermarket air filter in yet?
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Ortos

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • "Ride to Ride another day"
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2016, 04:44:43 pm »
Oh before I forget, why don't you tell us about the Problem that left you stranded next to the Road.

a KTM
He is asking KTM Owners for their Opinion.

Not yet.  He wonders what the outcome would be if he started a poll.  I wonder if he will.

The Poll will probably start first time......... >:D

........my Dad once said "if it has boobs or tires it`ll give you problems at some stage"
- Some people are like clouds, once they fuck-off it turns into a
  beautiful day!

Online Baches

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2016, 05:20:17 pm »
Ek ry al bike die laaste 30 jaar en het al alle brands gery. Ek het op die oomblik 'n 300 en 'n 690 en dis maklik die lekkerste fietse wat ek ooit gehad het. Enige fiets met 'n high performance engine sal jou een of ander tyd moeilikheid gee omdat jy die sewe soorte k...k uit hom uit ry. Well ek doen dit en sover hou alles. Service hom net gereeld en hy sal hou.
KTM 1290 Super Adventure R
KTM 500 EXC
KTM 690 Enduro R

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Vroom vroom vroom blah blah blah
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2016, 05:25:48 pm »
I read some interesting replies on my original post. I like to comment on some of these.
1. You bought an abused bike. I did my homework, not true.
2. Bike was not properly maintained. Bike was maintained by KTM, not only sticking to proposed schedule but extra services in between.
3. High performance machine, so risk of failure is high possibilty. Really? I see AMG and M power machines on breakdown trailers all the time.
4. From 2014 KTM solved a lot of the 690 issues. Ahhh. My personal favourite. Only took KTM 6 years to get it right.
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs 690 kaboem

"Choose a bike that will be the most fun in the challenging spots, not one that will be the most comfortable in the easy spots." Walter Colebatch

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2016, 05:42:01 pm »
I believe it is a combination of application, maintenance and owner (rather than the make of bike).

Using the bike to play in water, mud, dust and mountains every weekend, you are statistically bound to pick up more problems than the guy just using the same bike to commute on tar roads most of it's life (and who does not ride when it rains  :biggrin:).

Good maintenance is a no-brainer, but it should not be limited to just sending your bike to the dealer at the prescribed service intervals. There is a lot you can do in-between to keep your bike reliable (cleaning air filters, lubricating chains and switches, fastening loose bolts, fix chafing wires, etc.).

My bike has been ultimately reliable, but to another owner it might have given problems by now. I service my own bikes and in the process can pick up possible snags that might creep in in the foreseeable future e.g. tying a loose hanging wire, checking bolt tightness, checking wheel bearings and head bearings, opening and cleaning a switch that starts to feel "funny", etc.    That little bit of hands-on care can make a world of difference in the ultimate reliability of a bike.
I consider myself a pessimist. I am therefore always right...eventually.

Offline Nimmo

• Let your regrets not be the things you did not do.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2016, 06:05:46 pm »
I believe it is a combination of application, maintenance and owner (rather than the make of bike).

Using the bike to play in water, mud, dust and mountains every weekend, you are statistically bound to pick up more problems than the guy just using the same bike to commute on tar roads most of it's life (and who does not ride when it rains  :biggrin:).

Good maintenance is a no-brainer, but it should not be limited to just sending your bike to the dealer at the prescribed service intervals. There is a lot you can do in-between to keep your bike reliable (cleaning air filters, lubricating chains and switches, fastening loose bolts, fix chafing wires, etc.).

My bike has been ultimately reliable, but to another owner it might have given problems by now. I service my own bikes and in the process can pick up possible snags that might creep in in the foreseeable future e.g. tying a loose hanging wire, checking bolt tightness, checking wheel bearings and head bearings, opening and cleaning a switch that starts to feel "funny", etc.    That little bit of hands-on care can make a world of difference in the ultimate reliability of a bike.

At last - some sence  ;)
Well said  :thumleft:
CT110,XT250,CX500,R100RS,ZZR400,DR650RS,XT350,K100RS,R1100RS,R1100S,K1200RS,XT350,R1100GS,F650GS,F800GS,XL200,TW200, HP2, KTM 990  :amazon:
Sunset Chalets 082 493 8814

NIMMO’S Ride Reports

Offline Tampan

« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2016, 06:20:14 pm »
Hell, this sounds almost like the very recent, and extremely unpleasant experience with my Range Rover and the Land Rover agents in Bloemfontein.
Never owned a KTM, but since I now have first hand knowledge, I'll rather walk than come close to any Land Rover again, EVER!!! :dousing:

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2016, 09:35:44 pm »
How do you build a Land Rover? Start at the oil leak and work up.
Hijack off
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2016, 07:48:18 am »

Are you saying that, because they break more often, it is only KTM's that get ridden in water, mud, dust and mountains?
I can compare the many KTM's owned by a whole spectrum of friends and I can tell you now that even when taken care of, the 690 still gives problems.
There are some that reaches as high as even 50 000kms, but they are the exception. Look on this forum, and see the sort of kays 690 do. It is nothing.

Offline Regis Laconi

• Race Dog
  • Enjoy The Freedom
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2016, 07:52:20 am »
In my opinion maintanance is very important.  Some bikes need a bit more love than others.  My ZX 10's I only cleaned and changed the oil every 5 000 km.  And they last up to 100 000 km with not one single problem ever.  And Kawasaki is not the most reliable bike out there.

When I went over to KTM I heard all the horror stories from my friends.  So I went and bought a KTM.  I spend a lot of time on the bike.  Taking it apart, cleaning, checking and putting everything back together.  To me this is part of motorcycling, taking care of your bike.

I do believe that a KTM needs a little bit more love and attention than most bikes.
Enjoy The Freedom...

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2016, 08:57:13 am »
I read some interesting replies on my original post. I like to comment on some of these.
1. You bought an abused bike. I did my homework, not true.
2. Bike was not properly maintained. Bike was maintained by KTM, not only sticking to proposed schedule but extra services in between.
3. High performance machine, so risk of failure is high possibilty. Really? I see AMG and M power machines on breakdown trailers all the time.
4. From 2014 KTM solved a lot of the 690 issues. Ahhh. My personal favourite. Only took KTM 6 years to get it right.

There is your problem highlighted in bold Altie. They kept on fixing it till they broke it  :biggrin:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline ChrisMann

• Race Dog
  • Every day above ground is a good day.
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2016, 09:02:33 am »
Wait, whaat??

You only owned 2 x second hand KTM's which gave you problems and now one of the greatest motorcycle manufacturers are building unreliable bikes?

10 000km on a supermotard and 27 000km on a 690 are high mileage. They are racing machines...

What do you suggest we do with our memories of the amazing things we did on our KTM's? The years of adventure trips to normally unreachable places, the countless races we participated in and the crazy shit we did because someone said it can't be done?

Altie, here is an easy quest for you.
1. Which "unreliable" brand is the (by far) most represented in the cross country events like Dakar and Amageza?
2. Why is this brand the choice for riders when choosing a bike that need to withstand the worst punishment in an endurance race?

I owned 20 KTM's that gave less problems than the 2 you had. You're opinion is invalid.  :biggrin:

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 09:06:23 am by ChrisMann »
Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2016, 09:05:46 am »
A lot being said about lack of maintenance but what maintenance have you failed to do on a faulty electrical loom. That's just poor quality that no amount of maintenance can rectify.
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2016, 09:15:29 am »
Wait, whaat??

You only owned 2 x second hand KTM's which gave you problems and now one of the greatest motorcycle manufacturers are building unreliable bikes?

10 000km on a supermotard and 27 000km on a 690 are high mileage. They are racing machines...

What do you suggest we do with our memories of the amazing things we did on our KTM's? The years of adventure trips to normally unreachable places, the countless races we participated in and the crazy shit we did because someone said it can't be done?

Altie, here is an easy quest for you.
1. Which "unreliable" brand is the (by far) most represented in the cross country events like Dakar and Amageza?
2. Why is this brand the choice for riders when choosing a bike that need to withstand the worst punishment in an endurance race?

I owned 20 KTM's that gave less problems than the 2 you had. You're opinion is invalid.  :biggrin:

Looks like that's the issue.
On most bikes that's barely run in.

If I get a 690, by your explanation there, I'll have to get a new one once a year.
Makes sense that you have had 20 of them  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 09:16:44 am by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.