KTM: Ready to let you down…..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Altie7deLaan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
So here is a bold statement: KTM is one of the most unreliable brands of modern times: Am I suitably qualified to make such a statement? Well? Here is my facts….
I am 44 years old and have been riding bikes since I was 18 years old, for 20 years I have been riding road bikes only, and only then have I switched to dual purpose, and stick with it for the last six years.
In my riding time I have been through 25 odd bikes, the bikes spanning from 20 year old Honda CB750F2 with 100 000 abused kilometres to newer bikes. From this gross number of bikes I have owned, two were KTM`s and these two bikes are the only ones to have ever given me more trouble than riding pleasure.
Now, KTM HQ will probably like to stick their nose in here and point out that I have taken hold of 2nd hand machines that have been abused.
The first KTM was a 640 LC prestige motard that had 10 000km on the odo and was still under guarantee, with one previous owner. This bike used to cut out at intermittently at every second opportunity, even taking the bike to agents/several other suitably qualified technicians never solved the problem.
Then a couple of years went by, and after sampling various dual purpose bikes including Honda,BMW and Suzuki, my heart was aching for a KTM 690 enduro. C`mon. who can resist such a beautiful package with suspension, brakes and performance.
Yes, it is a 2009 model, previously owned. With 27 000km on it. Agent serviced. I have done 3 000km on this bike and it have left me stranded on the side of the road more times than I care to remember. I have more confidence in a Chinese scooter than with this bike.
OK, KTM will be the first to point out that I buy 2nd hand bikes and are not their target market. I can understand that. But I do want you, the 2nd hand buyer, to take note of the shortcomings, of the KTM brand. It is flawed. Seriously flawed.
Why was the Husqvarna 701 launched? To hide the inability of the 690 to run day in day out? Was it a marketing ploy to cover how bad the armour of the 690 is?  Yes, I am also so much aware of guys like Noah Horak who use KTM to travel long distance. If Noah wasn’t an electrical engineer with hands on knowledge to fix a bike, would he seriously consider circumnavigating the globe on a KTM?
At this point the BMW guys are probably eager to step in and reply how trustworthy their machines are, I have owned a couple of BMWs in my life and they are in every respect  as much as a Toyota, very reliable but not very desirable.
Which leaves us with the Japanese brands, the likes of the DR650 and Xr650 which no longer are allowed to grace our showroom floors as new bikes. It is a pity. Maybe not as exciting as a KTM 690, but then excitement is over rated when calling a buddy to come trailer you home.
Oh, before I forget this is not a desperate call on KTM to come offer to solve their problems. The inside of my garage will never see a KTM again, and I bet if we launched a poll right now to see how many new KTM`s have made its way back to the dealer on the back of a trailer, if will probably be outnumber the number of happy KTM customers.