Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Your TE610 fuel range and tank options  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Of maar net Gabriel
Your TE610 fuel range and tank options
« on: July 20, 2016, 10:40:08 am »
I'm really used to having a longer range on my bikes and the result is that I've ran out of petrol twice on my HUSKY without the fuel light coming on. Both times I was saved by opening the taps on both bottom sides of the tank. I'm not even sure exactly what they're for, but I just assume they're a sort of "reserve" like I had on my dirt bikes. Then I had to stand a while (assuming the fuel needs to run through the pipes?) before she would fire up again...

So a few questions, as this is all new to me:
1. I'm assuming that there's some sort of plug/wire/sensor that's not working or plugged out. I haven't lifted the tank to have a look, but will do do so when I get a gap.

2. Can anybody tell me if and how those taps are related?

3.  Both times I was on around 150 - 160 km and the bike took around 11 litres of fuel. Can that be right? Am I only getting 14km/litre? It seems very low for a 600 cc EFI single. Is it the "Power Up" mod that screws up the consumption this badly?

4. I've made an inquiry about the Safari tanks...

Response below:

Hi Gabriel,

I do not have stock of this tank so delivery will take 3 - 4 weeks. The tanks are available in Red, Black, White and Clear.  The price for the 25 Litre front tank is R11244,00 excluding VAT and ex Durban

Thank you & regards
Gavin Robertson
TWO Technologies cc
Phone   +27 (0)31 467 1717 - 8
Fax      +27 (0)31 467 4296
Cell      +27 (0)83 289 0461
eMail    sales@twotech.co.za

R 12 800 extends my fuel range from 160 km to 350 km, which is a decent (and almost required) distance for an adventure bike on trips

The tanks look good and I'm sure they're worth it, but the price is a bit steep.  :-\
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:44:04 am by Archangel »

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • President T7 fanclub
Re: Your TE610 fuel range and tank options
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 10:45:45 am »
Yip unfortunately only the carbed 610 from 2006 you could get a IMS which was way cheaper than Aqualine. Oh yes and my carb 610 once gave me 27 km/l. I think 14 is too low, you should be getting close to 20.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline BOER!

• is 'n GS neersletterende
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 10:46:06 am »
That tank looks good, especially a black one will look awesome.

But yes, R12000 is very steep.  Sho!

My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Everybody falls off. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 10:50:11 am »
Yip unfortunately only the carbed 610 from 2006 you could get a IMS which was way cheaper than Aqualine. Oh yes and my carb 610 once gave me 27 km/l. I think 14 is too low, you should be getting close to 20.

That's what I was expecting, so I was aiming for a range of around 200 km plus...  :xxbah:

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 10:52:37 am »
am bringing in a shipment of these, from Australia around 2nd week of September; manufacturer is an ex Safari tank designer, who then branched out on his own....

USUALLY around R2.5K - R3K, so very affordable...

www.nomadtanks.com.au

and I am also the SA Agent for CAMEL tanks, have stock at present at R6999 incl, nothing SPECIFIC for the 610, but they do make a tank for WR450 and CRF 250, so possible options...

scroll down to see CRF250 tank... http://www.camel-adv.com/articles.asp?ID=256

Cheers!
Chris & Team
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:54:52 am by zebra - Flying Brick »
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 10:54:56 am »
I'm still a newby on my 610 TE! :o

I've only done a 3 day ride in Swaziland recently. :biggrin:

Although I didn't measure the daily distances we covered, I reckon I do similar mileage than you. :'(

I have the power up module, JD Tuner and a 50mm gutted exhaust. :biggrin:

On my DR 650 SE, with similar fuel capacity, I once only did 146km on the main tank. All depends on the twist in the wrist! ;D

I have a few 5 liter cheep fuel tanks from Pioneer Plastics (Rotopax ripp offs.) They would be perfect with your luggage frames. Off Road Cycles and Flying Brick also stock them, with 2 different mounting options. :thumleft:

Xpat might sell his 630TE, and he has the Safari fitted. As far as I know it fits the 610. Speak to him if you wish to acquire one. :thumleft:

Straatkat and TK will be able to give you more specifics regarding capacity and consumption. :thumleft:

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:01:17 am by chopperpilot »
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 10:55:28 am »

I like the translucent ones, I want to see if there's fuel in the tank, as I've lost trust in the fuel light.  :P

am bringing in a shipment of these, from Australia around 2nd week of September; manufacturer is an ex Safari tank designer, who then branched out on his own....

www.nomadtanks.com.au

and I am also the SA Agent for CAMEL tanks, have stock at present at R6999 incl, nothing SPECIFIC for the 610, but they do make a tank for WR450 and CRF 250, so possible options...

scroll down to see CRF250 tank...

Cheers!
Chris & Team

Will definitely consider. Sal eendag daar inpop en kyk hoe dit lyk en of dit pas etc.  :thumleft:

[EDIT] I'm not a big fan of tanks fitted to the rear, seeing as these sub-frames are made of cheese and typically you'll be loading some luggage on the rear already.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:03:22 am by Archangel »

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 11:17:38 am »

I have a few 5 liter cheep fuel tanks from Pioneer Plastics (Rotopax ripp offs.) They would be perfect with your luggage frames. Off Road Cycles and Flying Brick also stock them, with 2 different mounting options.
we now can offer a 10L attachable fuel cell, in addition to the 5L. And a 20L.
Cheers
Chris & Team
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 11:22:35 am »

I like the translucent ones, I want to see if there's fuel in the tank, as I've lost trust in the fuel light.  :P

www.nomadtanks.com.au

scroll down to see CRF250 tank...

Cheers!
Chris & Team

Will definitely consider. Sal eendag daar inpop en kyk hoe dit lyk en of dit pas etc.  :thumleft:

[EDIT] I'm not a big fan of tanks fitted to the rear, seeing as these sub-frames are made of cheese and typically you'll be loading some luggage on the rear already.
fair comment, but I have a 450, with an 8L rear tank, luggage, and my own 93kg's...!
Absolutely no problem, though my Safari rear tank DOES hug the side of the bike, and I just made up a small sub-frame support, that ties together the two ENDS of the existing sub-frame - that 'triangulation' significantly strenghtens whats already there.
Cheers
Chris & Team
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:26:28 am by zebra - Flying Brick »

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 11:39:42 am »

fair comment, but I have a 450, with an 8L rear tank, luggage, and my own 93kg's...!
Absolutely no problem, though my Safari rear tank DOES hug the side of the bike, and I just made up a small sub-frame support, that ties together the two ENDS of the existing sub-frame - that 'triangulation' significantly strenghtens whats already there.
Cheers
Chris & Team

True, the soft luggage racks that I have mount on the bottom of the frame, making it stronger by triangulation, preventing the pivot action which kills the frame.  :thumleft:

Offline Xpat

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 11:46:47 am »
I have that 25l Safari on my TE630 (it fits EFI 610), but I'm not selling - at least hot yet, and even then it will go with the bike.

I am not sure what taps you are refering to, but I suspect that those are for the flow through hose, so that the petrol can get from one side of the tank to the other, where fuel pump sits. It definitely works like that on Safari - I cannot check the standard tank as I have given it to Big Dom.

Regarding consumption - after power upgrades Huskies tend to be thirsty, especially as they encourage you to twist the throttle. That said, if you made and performance upgrades, it would be probably worth having the fuel mixture checked on dyno and adjusted if necessary. I'm not sure how you do that on standard EFI - I have JD Tuner (kind of Power Commander but adjustable by knobs), and can adjust the mixture myself. I still keep it at the high performance mode - but I have quite a few performane upgrades (Power up Kit, Arrows with racing ECU, opeg airbox, JD Tuner).

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 11:53:21 am »
I have that 25l Safari on my TE630 (it fits EFI 610), but I'm not selling - at least hot yet, and even then it will go with the bike.

I am not sure what taps you are refering to, but I suspect that those are for the flow through hose, so that the petrol can get from one side of the tank to the other, where fuel pump sits. It definitely works like that on Safari - I cannot check the standard tank as I have given it to Big Dom.

That's what I thought, thanks.  :)

Regarding consumption - after power upgrades Huskies tend to be thirsty, especially as they encourage you to twist the throttle. That said, if you made and performance upgrades, it would be probably worth having the fuel mixture checked on dyno and adjusted if necessary. I'm not sure how you do that on standard EFI - I have JD Tuner (kind of Power Commander but adjustable by knobs), and can adjust the mixture myself. I still keep it at the high performance mode - but I have quite a few performane upgrades (Power up Kit, Arrows with racing ECU, opeg airbox, JD Tuner).

I don't know to what extent this has been done, so I'll try to figure out how they tuned it. What's your consumption on the 630?

Offline Xpat

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 12:03:02 pm »
I really don't know. I know it sound stupid, but I use Husky mostly for more technial rides like De Wildt or Lesotho, where with my big tank I do not worry too much about consumption. And when I ride Husky I ride to ride not to save fuel.

I would guestimate my consumption at 7l/100km.

You should check cafehusky.com - there is a wealth of information I'm sure including consumption figures.

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 12:08:33 pm »
I really don't know. I know it sound stupid, but I use Husky mostly for more technial rides like De Wildt or Lesotho, where with my big tank I do not worry too much about consumption. And when I ride Husky I ride to ride not to save fuel.

I would guestimate my consumption at 7l/100km.

You should check cafehusky.com - there is a wealth of information I'm sure including consumption figures.

Seems to be in the same range. Most of the fuel range info on Cafe Husky is related to the TR650, so I did my own post, but it's taking forever for the mods to approve my posts.  :patch:

[EDIT] Just found a thread posted by our very own Blazes asking the same question back in 2009. :ricky:

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 12:21:20 pm by Archangel »

Offline Xpat

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 12:32:22 pm »
I wouldn't consider 7l/100 km brutal consumption, provided you really ride it hard. 690 doesn't come that much less (over 6l for sure if pushed). Of course less powerfull engines like XT660 will take less, but mine is not that much less than 6 litres either (when pushed). But again, I have quite a few performance upgrades on it.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 12:38:04 pm »
I think you may find relevant info on consumption in these threads - just need to plough through them:

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te-610-with-jd-jetting-power-surge-6x.20950/page-2

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/jd-tuner-settings.21032/

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 02:32:05 pm »
I think you may find relevant info on consumption in these threads - just need to plough through them:

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te-610-with-jd-jetting-power-surge-6x.20950/page-2

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/jd-tuner-settings.21032/

I've gone through both, but it's a hassle to convert all the "miles per gallon" as posted by members of some ignorant nations that haven't changed over to metric yet...  ::)

Jokes aside, I just expected more. I suppose, in all fairness, it did include a ride to the Quarry, which meant about 15-20 minutes of flat taps ( > 120kmph) of tar riding and then about 90 minutes of dunes and dust, before clapping the tar home again.   :ricky:

Maybe a fairer indication could be derived by a more monotonous ride, simulating something of a longer distance trip. 

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 02:50:18 pm »
Cruise on a level stretch at 100km/h in 6th and see what you get  ;D
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 03:32:46 pm »

Sure, I'll do that... when I'm 60.  :pot:

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 04:42:40 pm »

Sure, I'll do that... when I'm 60.  :pot:
Then you should not be worrying about trivial things like km per liter  :biggrin:
J.R.R Tolkien