Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Botswana Adventure 2016  (Read 7603 times)

Offline Almero

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
Re: Botswana Adventure 2016
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 08:32:57 pm »
Thank you all for reading!

@Xpat I don't blame my crappy riding on my equipment, I blame it on my hangovers

@0012 The knee is ok, thanks for asking! Tore the ligament on the inside of the knee, not sure what its called. Wearing a robot knee guard thing for the next 6 weeks, luckily I can still walk without pain. Stairs are another story though.

Offline Mother

• Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
  • ...anything with an engine an 2wheels
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2016, 11:43:44 am »
nice video
mother ....only half a word ;-)

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 12:34:16 pm »
Really enjoyed this report.
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline jimjim

• Bike: MZ (all models)
  • I do nothing all day
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 03:27:06 pm »
Nice RR  :thumleft:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.  - W. C. Fields

Offline Skim

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 03:56:32 pm »
Dankie lekker saam gereis!
Skim

BMW R 1200 GS Adventure.

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2016, 09:50:48 am »
lekker man  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: vinnig herstel met die knieg
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline YamaV

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2016, 11:08:26 am »
lekker report Almero!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 12:50:33 pm »
Lekker RR - looks like something I need to do! I did the FR a few years ago - its back on the list of things to do again. And a Botaswana trip is in the planning.....

BTW - what Garmin product did you use?
And Xpat, what doo you use? I want to replace my ZUMO660.....
Hijack Off!!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline oldmannorman

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • suzuki TS250 ER
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 02:52:13 pm »
 :sip: Enjoyed your RR.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 03:13:55 pm »
Lekker RR - looks like something I need to do! I did the FR a few years ago - its back on the list of things to do again. And a Botaswana trip is in the planning.....

Hijack Off!!

For this kind of trips I use Montana. I just need reasonably big screen and refresh rate and I must be able to load tracks on the unit (which I may be wrong but think some Zumo's didn't allow).

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2016, 04:19:29 pm »
Nice RR - great trip - nice memories.  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline Wanderingweehen

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2016, 04:32:08 pm »
Excellent ride report.  Used up at least 30 minutes of my boring working day.  2 more hours to go  :bueller:

Offline bud500

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2016, 04:49:50 pm »
Great Report!
The first one is a success, now for the rest.
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2016, 08:08:47 am »

Hijack Off!!

For this kind of trips I use Montana. I just need reasonably big screen and refresh rate and I must be able to load tracks on the unit (which I may be wrong but think some Zumo's didn't allow).

Thanks - My ZUMO allows map-planning etc., but it battles with alternative routes when you make a wrong turn - looking for something newer.

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Xpat

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2016, 09:05:01 am »
@CT: as I said earlier in the thread, I do not use any functions (including navigational) on GPS. I just use it as a map that shows me where I am and navigate myself. By being able to take tracks I mean tracks I have ploted myself on Googlemaps (which from GPS point of view may go through completely unchartered territory).

Sorry for the hijack.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2016, 02:30:47 pm »
@CT: as I said earlier in the thread, I do not use any functions (including navigational) on GPS. I just use it as a map that shows me where I am and navigate myself. By being able to take tracks I mean tracks I have ploted myself on Googlemaps (which from GPS point of view may go through completely unchartered territory).

Sorry for the hijack.

Cheers!   :thumleft:

Offline BEN TAP

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2016, 03:27:17 pm »
danki vir di deel
dit is n avontuur wat ek graag ook sal wil doen

One life live it   
 Everybody dies but not everybody lives

Offline Almero

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2016, 11:01:28 am »
Thank you all for reading, and for your kind words!

@ClimbingTurtle : My GPS is just the standard Garmin Nuvi, probably why it doesn't work as well as the more upmarket models.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2016, 11:12:42 am »

@ClimbingTurtle : My GPS is just the standard Garmin Nuvi, probably why it doesn't work as well as the more upmarket models.

Nope, some of the issues you described - specifically losing power, happen also on higher end ones. To be fair it is more problem of the GPS holders and their connectors that do not cope well with the vibrations rather than GPS, but Garmin GUI implementation is just plain stupid . Whenever it loses power from plug (even though it still runs on batteries) it puts up a message 'Do you want to continue on batter power' or some such, and starts counting down 30 seconds with the message on (so you cannot see the map) until it shuts down. Of course what happens is that the power usually comes on so the message disappears just to appear back few seconds later when the connection is lost again. This is usually problem only when there are lots of vibrations (like going off tar vigorously), but renders GPS basically useless.

The solution would be for a user to be able to switch off the stupid warning message when GPS loses external power. If somebody here may know how to do that, I would be very grateful if they can let us know.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2016, 01:55:12 pm »

Nope, some of the issues you described - specifically losing power, happen also on higher end ones. To be fair it is more problem of the GPS holders and their connectors that do not cope well with the vibrations rather than GPS, but Garmin GUI implementation is just plain stupid . Whenever it loses power from plug (even though it still runs on batteries) it puts up a message 'Do you want to continue on batter power' or some such, and starts counting down 30 seconds with the message on (so you cannot see the map) until it shuts down. Of course what happens is that the power usually comes on so the message disappears just to appear back few seconds later when the connection is lost again. This is usually problem only when there are lots of vibrations (like going off tar vigorously), but renders GPS basically useless.

The solution would be for a user to be able to switch off the stupid warning message when GPS loses external power. If somebody here may know how to do that, I would be very grateful if they can let us know.

Correct - mine also lost power with the stock cradle supplied (the RAM mount unit), I upgraded to the TouraTech Lockable Cradle and mounting brackets, at not inconsiderable expense, but it solved the problem. My GPS issue is a map compatibility vs missed waypoint that the unit always want you to go back to instead of navigating to the closest one.
I think Xpats way of use is a better option, but you do have to have an idea of where you need to be going. Perhaps this is a better topic for another thread or something tho.
And I also want that auto-switch-off switched off.....