Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW R Nine T Scrambler World Launch  (Read 18010 times)

Offline DavidMorrisXp

Re: BMW R Nine T Scrambler World Launch
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 04:28:36 pm »
agree with the earlier reply - looks like a cafe racer
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidMorrisMedia

Offline HeeBs

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 05:51:39 pm »
I like the bike, I like the shape and I wouldn't mind owning one. BUT to be honest I really don't see why you would presumably pay more for this "scrambler"over the standard R9T !! Maybe the unseen stuff is better, stuff like shocks, ground clearance or brakes.
But seriously, are you actually gonna take this off road? Maybe a nice gravel highway.

It honestly looks like they didn't even try - looks like a quick money grab, riding on the popularity of the retro scrambler scene.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 05:54:43 pm »
I like the bike, I like the shape and I wouldn't mind owning one. BUT to be honest I really don't see why you would presumably pay more for this "scrambler"over the standard R9T !! Maybe the unseen stuff is better, stuff like shocks, ground clearance or brakes.
But seriously, are you actually gonna take this off road? Maybe a nice gravel highway.

It honestly looks like they didn't even try - looks like a quick money grab, riding on the popularity of the retro scrambler scene.

Did you see the Bike Show Episode where they took that little Ducati off-road?  I was impressed, but yes, it is not a scrambler like the forerunners of the current plastics were.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline VaalBaas

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2016, 06:27:59 pm »
n Regte scrambler het net een disk voor :patch:

Nah, dis n padfiets vir n ander mark
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C - 2020 RnineT Pure
2012 TW200
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8 en toe nog n 525 ook
Project Bikes - 2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE - 2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE - TW200
As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet(en ek weet nog steeds nie wat ek doen)

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2016, 06:36:48 pm »
Interestingly, today I had a chat with some of the Germans from BMW and some of my European journalist friends. I asked them "what exactly is a scrambler?"

To them, a scrambler was the name given to dirt bikes in the 60s. Since then, they've either been called motocross bikes or enduros.

I then told them that some people in South Africa still call offroad bikes scramblers. They were shocked. So, the modern term "scrambler" means a retro bike with offroad styling.

So, the next person to comment on its lack of off-road capabilities clearly doesn't read the thread before posting. 

The Scrambler is going to be cheaper than the standard R Nine T.

Offline ZooDog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • ride everything hard
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2016, 06:40:20 pm »
Im interested
TIA. this is africa

Offline Kawasefi

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
Re:
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2016, 06:49:40 pm »
Looks nice but not the kind of bike I would buy, too impractial for the real world. I think the concept would have worked better with the 800 parallel twin motor and could be priced to compete with the Ducati and Triumph. Then again, they probably wanted some BMW heritage, so it had to be a boxer.

Sent from my D2403 using Tapatalk

Offline Fransw

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2016, 06:54:01 pm »
Why are there dents in the tank? ???

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2016, 07:05:57 pm »
Interestingly, today I had a chat with some of the Germans from BMW and some of my European journalist friends. I asked them "what exactly is a scrambler?"

To them, a scrambler was the name given to dirt bikes in the 60s. Since then, they've either been called motocross bikes or enduros.

I then told them that some people in South Africa still call offroad bikes scramblers. They were shocked. So, the modern term "scrambler" means a retro bike with offroad styling.

So, the next person to comment on its lack of off-road capabilities clearly doesn't read the thread before posting. 

Ja.  They guys clearly chose to ignore the previous pics I posted of the 1958 Honda Scrambler.

#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Jovan

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2016, 07:29:44 pm »
I dig it. My name is on the list for when it arrives   :ricky:

Offline Chairman Meow

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Obey the Kitty
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2016, 07:34:59 pm »
I see no scrambler in the picture, am I missing something?
The bikes in the picture is 10 times closer to a cafe racer than a scrambler.

Well, I see fake fork gaiters  :imaposer:

:laughing4:

Offline BMWPE

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2016, 08:08:45 pm »
would look a lot better with spoke wheels

Rallye

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2016, 08:11:48 pm »
They should have rather built a few more Hp2's with the old engines they had left over from the previous range. :deal:

Exactly my thoughts. They already got the rninet,why another ??

People will pay good money for them and BMW is in the business of making money.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline HeeBs

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2016, 08:20:52 pm »

[/quote]

OK that bucks the general trend. Why would it be cheaper?

I did see the 1958 scrambler but that's what they had to work with to make an off road bike in those days, this is 2016, we have things like upside down forks !  :biggrin:

Like I say, I do like the R9T but call a spade a spade, don't try to dress a bike up as something it isn't.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2016, 08:26:13 pm »

OK that bucks the general trend. Why would it be cheaper?

I did see the 1958 scrambler but that's what they had to work with to make an off road bike in those days, this is 2016, we have things like upside down forks !  :biggrin:

Like I say, I do like the R9T but call a spade a spade, don't try to dress a bike up as something it isn't.

They, as do Ducati and Triumph, call them Scramblers because they are retro bikes.  It is, in fact, a retro scrambler and aimed at a very fast growing retro market.   :thumleft:
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline ahlbebuck

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • G450X, CRF450R, XR200R
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2016, 08:34:11 pm »

So where is this "thread"  explaining why a scrambler that is clearly not a scrambler should be called scrambler? Or is it easier to change a name than actually build a bike that lives up to its name?
If you can't fix it with a hammer, its an electrical problem!

Offline Tom van Brits

Re:
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2016, 08:38:10 pm »
Don't care what it is called, I would have loved one

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Offline BMWPE

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2016, 08:39:29 pm »
 :thumleft:
Rallye

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2016, 08:42:49 pm »
They should have rather built a few more Hp2's with the old engines they had left over from the previous range. :deal:

Is this not, pretty much, an HP2 with a bit of a retro look?
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2016, 08:45:15 pm »

Is the Triumph Scrambler a scrambler? No its not but calling it one might sell a few.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Scrambler

But that is exactly what the Triumph Scrambler looked like back in the day and then no one argued the point.

#33 #BRADICAL!