Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I have a dream ..............  (Read 14852 times)

Offline T9ER

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Fortune favors the brave
    • Joeyevans.co.za
Re: I have a dream ..............
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 07:58:59 pm »
Howzit Kobus
This is an awesome goal bud! Go chase that dream.
I see you are in Gauteng, I would love to ride with you sometime, just let me know when. I'm no pro rider but would be happy to help with any Amageza advice you might need or just to chat about how it all works and what to watch out for. I'm trying to ride 2-3 times a week so any day in the week suits me fine as well. I'm cool with an out ride or at a track or whatever. Just need time in the saddle. Let me know if your keen.
Happy dream chasing ;D
Joey
The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

KTM 450RR

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 08:19:18 pm »
Thanks Joey, I'll be privileged to join you on a ride for some pointers.  I'll definitely let you know when timing allows and see if you're available.  :thumleft:
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Scribble

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • RIP Coco thanks for the great times
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2016, 08:38:19 pm »
Howzit Kobus
This is an awesome goal bud! Go chase that dream.
I see you are in Gauteng, I would love to ride with you sometime, just let me know when. I'm no pro rider but would be happy to help with any Amageza advice you might need or just to chat about how it all works and what to watch out for. I'm trying to ride 2-3 times a week so any day in the week suits me fine as well. I'm cool with an out ride or at a track or whatever. Just need time in the saddle. Let me know if your keen.
Happy dream chasing ;D
Joey
very cool of you Joey
you are a huge insparation
I can't even begin to get my head around the whole roadbook thing 
I think I pulled an entire aircraft nav dash off my bike
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline T9ER

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Fortune favors the brave
    • Joeyevans.co.za
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2016, 09:56:39 pm »
Haha, yep it's pretty daunting at first. That's why they call rally riders, pilots I guess. I heard someone say it's like riding motocross whilst texting. For me I find if you just slowdown a bit and keep checking your Cap headings it's not too difficult. A few km's in and you'll be fine. Try find a roadbook route down there and give it a practice before the rally just to get the hang of it. Remember to learn the symbols. I keep a laminated copy cut in three with my markers to double check when marking the roadbook.
The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

KTM 450RR

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 08:51:31 am »
Good stuff Kobus! :thumleft:

A thread like this forces you to focus. Did it with my first rally too and I finished.

Joey is spot on. Would be keen to ride with both you and Joey (or either one of you) anytime after the middle of the month. :deal:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline weskus

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vrek gewerk!!
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 09:02:33 am »
Awesome Kobus, know that bike quite well and it's a mean machine, one of the bikes Garth builds..perfect machine for the job, strongs, will be watching
Vorige scooters : Suzuki TS 185, Honda CD 200, Suzuki PE 250, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha 495 IT, Kawasaki KLX 300, BMW F 650 GS Dakar, BMW F 800 GS, KDX200, KTM300, Suzuki GSXR1000, Honda CD200, KTM 1290 Superduke (stukkend geval) tans KTM 990 Adv - toer,  KTM 300 XCW- funrides,Honda Z50 Monkeybike(projek), Honda ST70 Dax,Honda S110 Benly, Honda C110 trail, Yamaha RS125, Honda CX500 Custom - bar toe..

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 03:28:14 pm »
How on earth must I keep up with the likes of BlueBull2007 and T9ER? 

And now you tell me how great my bike is Weskus, this does not help.   :imaposer:

Thanks BB2007 and again T9ER - I am moerse excited about this invite!
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline SteveD

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2016, 03:38:19 pm »
So - who has a lekker roadbook route in and around Gauteng? Let's get these three guys nice and lost  ;D

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 03:42:29 pm »
Well I got the 2014 Namaqua rally scroll as part of the deal when buying the bike.  Given my experience, this should suffice for any given route!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:49:12 am by ktmkobus »

-David Livingstone-

Offline Scrat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2016, 12:39:24 pm »
Nice one Kobus!!
Never say never!!
You are the creator of your own destiny!

good luck with all the prepping and see you soon!!
 :ricky:
Call us Crazy!! But what an ADVENTURE!!

Offline AlexRG

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 05:40:10 pm »
Good luck man!

If you need a new sticker kit give Grant Wilson from Solid Decals a ring (Zero 8 Two 498 6758) ... he has the templates for that specific bike (front tank, rear tank, fairing etc.)

My bikes DNA is the same...

Welcome to join me (and Joey) for a ride.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2016, 07:22:02 pm »
Thanks Scrat and AlexRG. 👍🏻

I will certainly give Grant a call. That bike of yours is a beauty.  What are you doing for carrying water Alex?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-David Livingstone-

Offline AlexRG

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2016, 10:18:30 pm »
Hi,

I use a Camelback "Mule" model that has a 3 litre bladder and then I stick another bladder with about 1.5 litre in the airbox cavity... it's big enough to hold a lot of things :-). It worked on the 2015 Amageza and West Coast Baja. The latest regulations are not requiring the water to be fixed in a reservoir on the bike but you can carry two bladders on your pack.

When in doubt always check the regulations (regs).

Get the bike sorted and get fit... you can worry about navigation later, not much you can do till you do your first rallye, study your lexicon (navigation signs).

Later!

Offline AlexRG

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2016, 04:19:09 pm »
Kobus.... how's your dream coming along? Been quiet!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:20:02 pm by AlexRG »

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2016, 04:34:35 pm »
Kobus.... how's your dream coming along? Been quiet!

Hi AlexRG,

Admittedly I have been rather quiet on this front.  Part of the reason is working on my mechanical/technical ability, see below:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=196394.0

To give a bit of an update:

I've been spending a bit of time in the saddle on a CRF450X to get used to the bigger 4 stroke.  No serious riding, but getting back in the saddle at least and working a bit on the fitness side.  The wife has been requested to wean me into healthy eating, especially after my vitality medical assessment a week or so ago - deeming my vitality age at 55!  :eek7: :eek7: (Bloody smoking)

I've got my short term sites on the Holfontein enduros to test my endurance and perseverance under what would be relatively unfit circumstances:

Holfontein 100 - 10 September (100km, 3 hour cut off time)
Holfontein Marathon - 8 October (200km, 6 hour cut off time)
Holfontein Le Mans 300 - 12 November (300km, 9 hour cut off time) - This is a team event but can be done as the Ironman whereby you complete the entire 300km.

In between I'll just try and get as much saddle time as possible and start spending time in the gym as well as on the mountain bike.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:49:21 pm by ktmkobus »

-David Livingstone-

Offline AlexRG

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2016, 05:34:16 pm »

Hi Kobus,

Wow!... just read the whole other thread... page 1 to 13... now I understand!

So what happened to the KTM 450 in this post? Is it now replaced by the CRF 450?

Alex

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2016, 06:04:47 pm »
Alex, no the Ktm is being pampered and next on the list to get fully rally ready.

Still remain the weapon of choice for next years Baja. 

The CRF, well, time will tell what happens with it.  In all probability, with the amount of time Im putting into it, I'll probably fall in love with it and keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-David Livingstone-

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2016, 08:11:01 pm »
Kobus, the difference between a groove and a grave is the dept. But its equally difficult to get out of both.

This is exactly what I mean Kobus. It's these collective words of wisdom from which I draw inspiration.  :thumleft:

I will be on the look out for that RR of your first race!

That 1st race never happened :'( and not the second one :'(

Priorities.....
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2016, 08:48:55 pm »
Kobus, the difference between a groove and a grave is the dept. But its equally difficult to get out of both.

This is exactly what I mean Kobus. It's these collective words of wisdom from which I draw inspiration.  :thumleft:

I will be on the look out for that RR of your first race!

That 1st race never happened :'( and not the second one :'(

Priorities.....

Priorities will always dictate ....... and that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Races are also not everything.  

In the last couple of months I've learned so much from new friends.  One of them is a Wilddog, albeit not very active I think, and I don't even have a clue what his forum name is.  He's  taken me to meet other great people on an epic ride as well as a 5 hour De Wildt ride up here in Gauteng with his two sons.  They are 'free' riders, weekend warriors that's never competed during all their years of riding.  

His sons are wickedly good - the longest and most controlled stand up wheelies I've ever seen.  They ride for the pure love of it, whenever they can.  

I was planning on doing a couple of GXCC's in preparation for the Baja, but now decided against it and will stick to this free riding for the pure enjoyment.  The pace of riding is brutal in terms of my ability and I'm learning so much from them.  The terrain I also believe is versatile enough to give me all the technical preparation necessary.  I'll do a couple of longer rides at pace and then I'm convinced I'll be ok for a finishing place.

Ride for the pure enjoyment.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:50:06 pm by ktmkobus »

-David Livingstone-

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2016, 07:44:36 pm »
Ride for the pure enjoyment.  :thumleft:

:thumleft: :thumleft:

My biggest problem is that work wise I am a short term contractor. Because of this I need to pay cash for everything. All my toys and bikes were paid cash. I decided to do the top end of my 525 which cost a pretty penny or 2 and came from my racing budget. :P

Last race of the season is a week before my Lesotho trippie so its a no brainer that I will not race.
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.