Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I have a dream ..............  (Read 14868 times)

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: I have a dream ..............
« Reply #200 on: March 25, 2017, 07:39:39 pm »
Ons ry verder vulstasie toe en ek besef skielik hoeveel koeler dit teen die see is.  Ek begin weer lewe kry en ons stop om vol te maak.

At the petrol station there is no shop to get some water, or anything for that matter.  I ask the people around there if I can drink some of the tap water and they reckon all is well.  I wet my head as much as I can and join Jason again to reload the rest of the roadbook.  The paper the roadbook was printed on was simply too thick to fit all at once - for us at least.

All done and we set off for the last stretch home.  All goes well until we get to a point where we are very unsure of the route.  There's tracks all over the show in every direction imaginable.  After losing quite a bit of time Jason is confident of the bearing and we head off.  Spot on!!  It's now getting late.

We hit, what I like to describe as irritating dunes.  The sand is incredibly loose and there is just no way of getting momentum.  Dusk is setting in and before long, after picking up my bike numerous times in these little dunes, we are out in the dark.  My goggle lenses are tinted and I struggle to see very far in front of me.  I notice Jason at once stage rode without goggles.  I realise that I have clear lenses in my backpack but there is simply no time to stop and make the exchange.  The sand is not to bad and I find if I just hold on very lightly the track steers you in the right direction and then I just through my bike in the same direction.  Our pace obviously slows down.

At least the heat is now gone and before we know it, we are met by the marshal, Sean Kriel, who takes our time and sets us off to the stationary bivouac at the school.

We arrive at the school at 19h55 - 5 minutes before  riders briefing and stage cut off!!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 07:43:54 pm by ktmkobus »
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #201 on: March 25, 2017, 08:27:57 pm »
We waited an hour for Alex to arrive at the briefing, where he shared the devastating news of Gary Rowley's passing to the group.  It was decision time and Alex wanted to know if we wanted to race the next morning.  One of Gary's team mates (Team Verve) got up and said that Gary would have not wanted the race to stop.  There was a minute of silence held in honour of our fellow rider.

We set off home, had supper and started marking the next day's roadbook.  Our support crew was hard at work preparing everything for the next day, now 3 additional men strong with Jan, Arrie and Ian lending a hand where necessary.

Teen ongeveer 24h00 was ek in die bed, moeg, hartseer en vol emosie.  Ek het deur geslaap tot 05h00 sonder om een wakker te word vir die eerste keer.

Day 3 - 20 March 2017

Ek trek die oggend skoon kit aan en sien uit na die gevreesde duine.

By die skool aangekom word almal bymekaar geroep om die dag se gebeure te bespreek.  Daar is heelwat debat aangesien vandag se voorspelling is dat dit warmer as die vorige dag sou wees.  Die laaste stage is so 280km lank.  Daar word besluit om die stuk tussen Alexander baai terug na Port Nolloth te kanselleer, wat beteken dat dit 120km korter sou wees en dit 'n liaison seksie sou word.

Sam en Alex sit ook 'n Spot tracker met SOS funksie op Jason aangesien ons laaste wegspring.  Ons sou dan sweep en kan dadelik laat weet indien iets ernstig fout gaan.  En so sit Sean ons weer aan die gang vir die laaste skof.  My lyf is seer maar toe ons wegspring is als vergete.  Ons het 'n helse taak om die eerste service point teen 10h00 the bereik, 117km in die skof.  Ons kom so net voor 08h00 weg en weet dit gaan moeilik wees. 

Die eerste gedeelte van die roete gaan goed, en vinnig.  Ons maak 'n skerp links en kry weer daai irriterende duine waar ek sukkel om momentum te kry.  Dit maak my ongelooflik moeg maar ons druk deur.  Uitendelik is ons daar uit en die groot duine lÍ voor.  Jason stop en sÍ hy gaan dit net gun.  Ek stem en ons trek weg met die spoed van wit lig.  Op die ou end was daai duine eintlik maklik en vet pret.

Ons is die grootste duine oor en ek sien die einde van die kleiner duine voor my.  Ek raak opgewonde en in een van die dips tussen twee duine maak ek my eie spoor links van Jason.  Onmiddelik sak my voorwiel weg en ek is oor die bars.  Gelukkig is al wat ek breek my ego.

I watch Jason disappear behind the dune, knowing he can not afford  to look behind him at the moment.  I get up and back to my bike, which is still standing up perfectly straight with the front wheel dug deep in the sand.  I mount the beast once more and find that I can not engage the clutch - stuck!!

I struggle for a long time trying to force the clutch in, to no avail.  I think of releasing the bleeding screw to see if that will help, and then realise that I lost all my tools yesterday!!  With arriving so late the previous night I didn't replace any of the tools that I would need in case of mechanical failure.  I get up to see if Jason has turned around but he's out of sight.  All I have is cable ties that's strapped to my sidestand!  I take the thickest one and strap it around the bleeding screw, tighten it, pull, and it snaps off.  Try another one and the same happens.  It's hot and I'm sweating like a pig, as I start to take off my kit.

I realise that this is probably the end and decide to walk up the dune to see if I can see Jason and signal to him that he should carry on and try and make the cut off of 10h00.  I wait there for a while as I hope he did just that.  (I later heard that he spent about 15min looking for me and then continued - good man!)

I now realized that there was not much I could do - I didn't even bring my phone with and I'm sure there would've been signal.

Ek dink aan die vorige aand se riders briefing waar die medics ons alles verduidelik het omtrent dehidrasie.  Ek begin my backpack uitpak en sien ek het nog 2.5 liter vloeistof, 2 energy bars, 'n pakkie neute, droŽ wors ens. Ek haal my space blanket uit en span dit van die bike af grond toe.  Nou het ek koelte, genoeg vloeistof en eetgoed en ek weet ek sal ok wees tot vanaand indien ek recover moet word.  Ek loop weer tot bo op die duin en oorweeg vir 'n oomblik om die bike daar te los en te begin stap.  Ek besef dit sal stupid wees aangesien my tracker aan die bike vas is.

Ek begin myself gemaklik maak, kop in die skaduwee en dink oor die race so ver............

En toe dink ek wat Alex gisteraand gesÍ het en weet dat die enigste manier om die bike uit te kry gaan wees as ek hom weer hier kom regmaak.  Ek dag toe de moer daarmee en begin weer peuter.

I decide to try and get the bike into neutral, drop a gear and try and spin it out in order to get going again.  I get it into neutral, start it and as I'm about to drop it into gear, I naturally pull on the clutch.  IT WORKS!!!  After just over an hour, I'm excited again.  I walk the bike out and park it on harder sand.  I kit up and stuff everything in the backpack again.  I mount the bike, very well knowing that I won't make the cut off time.  I decide to nonetheless head that way.  Catch a breath and look down on the navigation equipment.  DEAD!  I know I didn't switch it off and scroll the road book.  It works, but both the trip and cap is dead.  I flip the switches nervously - NOTHING.

I take another look in the direction Jason set off and decide that it would be foolish to head out blindly deeper into the desert.  I make the call to find a route back over the dune and head west, hugging the dune on the northern side.  It works well and before long I find a nice tweespoor sand tract that leads me back to the main road.  I head off to the school where I find a marshal that can get the message back to the DSP that rider 119 is OK, but out the race. 

I am both disappointed and relieved as I park my bike at our place of stay. 

When Jason returns I also learn that he didn't make the cut off and can't help but the think that I was the cause of that.

We relax the afternoon and later head out for prize giving, where we learn that myself and Jason were receiving finishers medals for completing >75% of the race route.  Needless to say, I was ecstatic.

And this, was my experience as a complete newbie to rally and my first Baja.  It was tough, very tough.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:14:11 am by ktmkobus »
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #202 on: March 25, 2017, 08:33:10 pm »
Dankie dit was nou 'n great Baja report wat die emosies en wat gebeur amper sigbaar en voelbaar maak.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #203 on: March 25, 2017, 08:37:52 pm »
We set off on the last day

The decision to cut the last day short

Fitting the SOS tracker to Jason

Us with our awesome crew, Ian and Jason not in the pic

Our awesome ladies

Good times

Some race pics of me and Jason

And to the late Gary Rowley, may you forever rest in peace.

This will forever remind me of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 08:45:44 pm by ktmkobus »

-David Livingstone-

Offline frankmac

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #204 on: March 25, 2017, 09:41:39 pm »
Many thanks for sharing your insightful experience, Kobus.

Also, your coverage of Grolls's passing shows a great deal of compassion

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #205 on: March 26, 2017, 05:41:29 am »
Wow Kobus, thanks so much for your report. You did amazingly well, under very tough conditions - riding at the back of the field is the hardest thing to do with the worst of the heat.

I agree with what frankmac said too...can't imagine how hard it must have been.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #206 on: March 26, 2017, 01:04:17 pm »
Lekker saamgery.  Soms is ek bly ek is nou te oud vir twee wiele.  >:D

Foto: Voor ons geweet het wat wag.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #207 on: March 27, 2017, 10:51:27 am »
Lekker om die avontuur saam met jou te beleef met hierdie verslag Kobus, goed geskryf man!

Offline desertfox

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • KlE 300 x
« Reply #208 on: March 27, 2017, 11:39:21 am »
Great stuff Kobus is it done and dusted?
My the force be with You

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #209 on: March 27, 2017, 11:52:32 am »
Dankie vir die saam lees manne.  :thumleft:

desertfox - op die stadium done en dusted ja, ticked off, reg vir die volgende avontuur.  :thumleft:

-David Livingstone-

Offline Bazinga

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Nat-Su-Kow
« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2017, 10:21:10 am »
Hectic mnr!!!

Wel gedaan!!!!

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2017, 10:31:35 am »
Hectic mnr!!!

Wel gedaan!!!!

Dankie Jaco  :thumleft:

-David Livingstone-

Offline Clockwork Orange

« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2017, 11:55:54 am »
Well done and thanks for an excellent report :thumleft:
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Ruff

« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2017, 01:08:47 pm »
Wel gedaan! So wat is volgende, Amageza?

Was jy tevrede met jou bike en het al jou rally toerusting en mods goed gewerk?

Gaan jy die CRF nou weer aanpak?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2017, 02:46:48 pm »
Well done and thanks for an excellent report :thumleft:

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.  :thumleft:

Wel gedaan! So wat is volgende, Amageza?

Was jy tevrede met jou bike en het al jou rally toerusting en mods goed gewerk?

Gaan jy die CRF nou weer aanpak?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Dankie Ruff, die KTM 450 was awesome - al wil ek, kan ek hom nie ry tot sy volle potensiaal nie, selfs met die 14/50 sprockets.  Alles het gewerk behalwe die trip & cap op die laaste dag, maar ek dink dit was net 'n draad wat los geskud/geval was.  Alles is nou weer 100%.

Amageza?  Ek weet nog nie, die rally storie is maar 'n duur speletjie en verg baie tyd om voor te berei.  Tyd sal leer. 

Die CRF sal van komende naweek weer bietjie aandag geniet ja, hy moet klaar kom.  :thumleft:

-David Livingstone-

Offline JohnB

« Reply #215 on: March 28, 2017, 03:42:17 pm »
Nice Kobus  :hello2:

But he said to me, ďMy grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.Ē Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christís power may rest on me.

Offline TinusBez

« Reply #216 on: April 05, 2017, 08:42:51 am »
Lekker man Kobus. Inspirerende storie!
KTM: 500 EXC-F current
KTM: 1190 Adv R Sold
Sweat dries, blood clots and bones heal, Suck it up princess