Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Cape to Kenya final route advice  (Read 5699 times)

Offline Xpat

Re: Cape to Kenya final route advice
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 01:22:35 pm »
I would also consider doing Makgadikgadi pans on Bots, riding Hunter's road from Pandamatenga to Kasane, staying in Kasane and doing Chobe cruise. If you stick to your original route in Malawi, my understanding (I wasn't there) is that there are some interesting mountains/high plateaus in the northern Malawi where you can ride horses and stuff. Maybe have a look here, it may give you ideas:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/earths-ends-riding-dr650s-from-end-to-end.1037908/

I'm also sure there is much more to be explored in Tanzania - either along the Tanganika lake as suggested by Amsterdam (but then you would have to skip Zanzibar) or in central Tanzania - I seem to remember some wildlife documentaries from nice parks there.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 01:45:07 pm »
OH and looking at your route - skip Zimbabwe. You can see Vic Falls from Livingstone, even cross the bridge on foot if you want to see it from Zim side as well.

Offline chaddrayton

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 05:16:04 pm »
Chad

It is your trip and if you feel that diluted experience is better than none, well go for it. We are all different and have different preferences, so of course the ultimate decision is yours, regardless of what I say.

That said, I would add few pointers:
- Comparison to USA: it is much easier to drive in US than on the roads of Africa - most of your route is tar, which also means a lot of chaotic local traffic, and possiblility of accident. But more importantly within a month (which really is not enough for me) you are going to cross what - 8 - 9 african border crossings with all attendant hassle (I never had to pay any bribe unlike some, but I had to spend a lot of time on some of them). Which means a border crossing every three days - sometimes even every other day. That gets old very quickly and can leave your trip with very sour taste. A lot of criticism of Africa and it 'corruption' comes from people who rush through and all they remember are unpleasant officials on the borders. If you spent in each country few weeks or month (I know that is not possible for you but just as an example), it is much easier to swallow once in a while a day of hassle.
- USA is much less diverse than Africa. Basically any east west travelling is much less diverse (and hence require less time to savour) than north - south, where the diversity of weather, enviroment and races is much more. If you have seen the series of Evan and Charlie, the Long Way Round, while laughable sometimes, was quite good IMO and the time frame for the show was all right to cover diversity of Russia, Mongolia, Canada and USA (which with exception of Mongolia are more or less the same country culturaly and ethnically considered from African context). If you have seen Long Way Down, it was utter rubbish as far as I am concerned. They didn't even have one installment per country and each country is brutally different from another (I assure you that Ethiopia is very different from Kenya or Egypt). To cover north west trip properly they would need much more space - leaving aside their silly worries about security and rushed trip down.

I understand your objective is Kenya (and that you will some stuff there after the trip). With that and your timeframe in mind, I would skip Uganda and Rwanda (you have planned like 3 days for both of those - you will be lucky to survive such an intense riding in Uganda where they drive like crazy - just crossing Kampala is probably half a day). And rather focus on the highlights along the way and stay in places. I would skip Monkey Bay (unless you are going to stay there) and definitely explore area in Tanzania around lake Natron and Oldonyio Lengai (see my African report) if you have time left (you can jump accross the border to Kenya if you run out of time). Also South Luangwa (I would recommend FLat Dogs) is a must as far as I'm concerned. If you feel really tough you should try to get there via shortcut from Petauke. I had lepards jumping three meters from me in the elephant grass there and encountered many giraffes and such. It will also shorten somewhat extremely boring and potholed route from Lusaka up.

Other - completely different option (which I did) would be in Malawi to go to Monkey Bay, and then cross to northern Mozambique, visit Isla de Mozambique and take road north through Pemba and into southern Tanzania, and from there up to Dar (which is a shithole, but I understand that you are hell bent on Zanzibar). This is very remote area where lions kill hundreds of people every year, so proper wilderness. This will give you nice contrast to the inner Africa in Bots, Zam and Malawi.

Here are some pictures from that area:

MOnkey Bay and surrounds:

Isla de Mozambique:

Northern Moz/ souther Tan:

Xpat thanks again for the detailed reply, I would say we'd love to take you for lunch or a beer but see you are up in Gauteng

Let me start by saying those pictures of monkey bay look absolutely breathtaking

I totally agree on the USA comparison it was merely a way to express my understanding of how quickly trips stop following itineraries, Especially long ones. I can imagine one would quickly tire of crossing any borders so frequently, this is coupled with the extra time it will take is not something we took into account and we will be sure to in our discussion on changing the route.

I realise its far less diverse, the western world can almost be considered one big conglomerate with a few different foods and accents. I haven't seen it but the guy I'm riding with has, would you recommend it? I just cant help being influenced by how amazing the trip was in the US, we got to see over 7 national parks, do 13 hikes, go to Calvin Harris in Vegas and Sia in Colorado, we surfed in California and Climbed Yosemite and Angels landing in etc etc etc. And I feel your point of Africa being more diverse means that a taste however small of each element could be even better than it was in America.

We have chatted and will most likely cut out Rwanda and Uganda if its what you recommend, we have a place to stay on the beach in Monkey bay which we would really like to take advantage of if possible and after seeing your pictures might make it one of the places we have a rest day.

I have been to Lake natron and surrounds it is absolutely stunning, I go back to Kenya at least once a year so have been lucky enough to do quite a lot of exploring around there.

Please provide some information on the Shortcut? That sounds absolutely incredible

Your route sounds wonderful, we are severely spoilt for choice especially with such a limited time period.

There is one glimmer of hope and that is if they protest during the UCT exams again which is fairly likely graduation will be pushed until next year in which case we will take the 3 months you suggested to do the route

Thanks again for the help

Heres the route we did in the US, the car ODO we rented showed 6037 but google maps disagrees haha  (tustve been all the wrong turns)

One big question, waking up at 6 or dawn to ride, that would make quite a difference right? We aren't big drinkers so waking up wouldnt be an issue

Offline chaddrayton

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 05:25:59 pm »
I would also consider doing Makgadikgadi pans on Bots, riding Hunter's road from Pandamatenga to Kasane, staying in Kasane and doing Chobe cruise. If you stick to your original route in Malawi, my understanding (I wasn't there) is that there are some interesting mountains/high plateaus in the northern Malawi where you can ride horses and stuff. Maybe have a look here, it may give you ideas:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/earths-ends-riding-dr650s-from-end-to-end.1037908/

I'm also sure there is much more to be explored in Tanzania - either along the Tanganika lake as suggested by Amsterdam (but then you would have to skip Zanzibar) or in central Tanzania - I seem to remember some wildlife documentaries from nice parks there.

Googling and saving to itinerary as we speak, all this stuff you are mentioning is invaluable thank you so much
The pans is on the way past Francistown so we will do that for sure! The Draa valley looks wild too.

Pandamatenga to Kasana by hunters road, is that along the border? looks amazing!

Will check out that link ;D ;D

We will do more research on what exactly to see in Tanzania closer to the time as we should be there for a while!

Offline chaddrayton

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 05:28:11 pm »
OH and looking at your route - skip Zimbabwe. You can see Vic Falls from Livingstone, even cross the bridge on foot if you want to see it from Zim side as well.

Done, wonderful idea, thats one less border crossing!

Offline chaddrayton

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 05:29:34 pm »
Also PLEASE share where that beautiful bridge to the island was, I couldn't believe my eyes

Offline yANNIS

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEPTHJ8BbB8
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 02:59:13 pm »
where do you take the yellow insurance?
the insurance which is valid for several contries...

Offline Xpat

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2016, 07:54:22 pm »
Sorry, forgot about this thread.

The bridge is on a private island about 10 km off Monkey Bay. I went to spend a night there (Organized through one of the lodges in Monkey Bay - not the Fat MOnkeys where I was staying - it was pricy upwards of 100 USD, but with 3 meals, and the sceneary is beautifull). But you can just rent a kayak in MOnkey Bay and paddle out there and back - you will probably be not allowed onto the island, but who cares.

Not sure what shortcut are you asking me about. If it is how to get from Tan to Kenya by lake Natron, what I meant was you are just in the area (if you don't go Rwanda and Uganda, which I said already you should not given your short time), so if you short of time it is easy to jump accross the border - just find whatever is the closest border.

While I said Africa is more diverse than USA, on your route there will be probably less touristy stuff to do than in US. You are on bikes so off-limits to parks (unless you pay for game drive) and lets face it - there are much less tourist attractions in those countries - apart from parks. This ride for me is much more about going through the best routes and chilling in nice places. But do your research of course and see what is on the way and try to make best of it.

I got my Comesa third party insurance (yellow paper) in Ethiopia. It was valid across all countries (except DRC) all the way down to RSA, which it does not cover (and I'm not sure about Namibia and Bots, but I think it may have been valid there).

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2016, 09:58:09 am »
where do you take the yellow insurance?
the insurance which is valid for several contries...

We got it at the border going into Tanzania from Malawi.
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline roburt

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2016, 11:06:26 pm »
Also not sure if someone mentioned, driving in tanzania is different than sa :-), expect busses and trucks to pass arround blind corners and not care if you in there way, you will see many villages, slow down in all off them as the cops likes to have speed traps there. When we drive around here in tz 80-100km/h is comfortable
GSA 1150,KTM 690,KDX 200

Offline King Louis

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2016, 06:13:29 am »
Want to talk? I should be arriving in Cape Town around 25th August. Left Jozi 23.7. Via Botswana, up to Kazungula, Kasane, Lusaka, Kabwe, Nakonde, tunduma, Mbeya, Iringa, Dodoma, Arusha, Nairobi. To deliver 13 GS's. Now on the reverse trip with 6 1200's. Reverse starting with Masai Mara, Ngorongoro, Tanga, Pangani, Ushongo, Mkata, Mbeya, Iringa, down to Malawi, Nkhata Bay, Senga, Lilongwe, Chipata, Lusaka, at present in Livingstone. I personally met with all cops en route and discussed the legal requirements of their respective countries. :ricky:  :imaposer:

Most important thing to take with? Patience.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2016, 02:09:13 pm »
King.. ping me when you in CT for a beer  :thumleft:

Im gonna be following the lakes to Rwanda if my stars align
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0