Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CRF250 Rally/DS  (Read 53555 times)

Offline blauth

Re: CRF250 Rally/DS
« Reply #200 on: May 07, 2018, 03:16:52 pm »
They build a bike with such a nice dash, Fi, LED headlight and ABS then throws that horrible cheapy shock on there. There must be a maximum of 20-30mm adjustment on it only  :(

That adjustment does make quite a difference though but the damping is so abysmally poor that I'm not sure it's better with less pre-load. Now it pops up like nobody's business. Either way, if you hit the wrong obstacle unexpected, it could be dangerous so I'm going to look into an affordable solution as a matter of priority. I'll measure the length and width of the Tornado suspension tonight. That's quite nice.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #201 on: May 07, 2018, 03:28:44 pm »
They build a bike with such a nice dash, Fi, LED headlight and ABS then throws that horrible cheapy shock on there. There must be a maximum of 20-30mm adjustment on it only  :(

That adjustment does make quite a difference though but the damping is so abysmally poor that I'm not sure it's better with less pre-load. Now it pops up like nobody's business. Either way, if you hit the wrong obstacle unexpected, it could be dangerous so I'm going to look into an affordable solution as a matter of priority. I'll measure the length and width of the Tornado suspension tonight. That's quite nice.
Ohlins makes a shock for the Rally if money was not a problem  :biggrin:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline blauth

« Reply #202 on: May 07, 2018, 03:32:54 pm »

Ohlins makes a shock for the Rally if money was not a problem  :biggrin:

Riiiiight. I'm not Rockefeller. Maybe this local guy, Martin Petz....something or another can build a shock for a reasonable price or modify the existing one. I don't even know if the OEM one can be stripped. It's also really tight in there so I don't think any old shock will do the trick. I know YSS also has a shock available. Don't know if it's any good though.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #203 on: May 07, 2018, 07:05:16 pm »
Contact Hayward suspension - they are near Hartebeestpoort dam (Lanseria road) That guy is 'the' suspension guru in SA.
I am not at all happy with the NC750X suspension - way too soft and not adjustable but cheap suspensions does not help to adjust all that much like you have discovered. Hayward sells progressive front and rear for the NC750X at R4700. Not all that cheap but it transforms the bike and worth the upgrade especially if one do ride gravel often.

Offline Zanie

« Reply #204 on: May 07, 2018, 07:59:27 pm »
I'm 1.83m tall...For my height, the windscreen is great. I didn't experience any buffeting which used to be an issue on the Tenere. I know Zanie is uncomfortable at speed, most likely because she's just a little shorter and the wind doesn't catch her entire head.

Exactly that. I have a short body, but long legs - therefore I can easily ride the Rally even at my 1.64m height. My 650GS does not have a screen and I do not experience any buffeting issues there, probably because the wind hits my chest. On the Rally it appears to hit right at the point of my helmet peak.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #205 on: May 07, 2018, 09:13:20 pm »
Sitting on 250km now with one bar left, will it start to flash or is one bar reserve ? Seems 30km/l will be achieved with first tank of fuel.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 10:00:38 pm by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline blauth

« Reply #206 on: May 07, 2018, 11:33:40 pm »
Contact Hayward suspension - they are near Hartebeestpoort dam (Lanseria road) That guy is 'the' suspension guru in SA.
I am not at all happy with the NC750X suspension - way too soft and not adjustable but cheap suspensions does not help to adjust all that much like you have discovered. Hayward sells progressive front and rear for the NC750X at R4700. Not all that cheap but it transforms the bike and worth the upgrade especially if one do ride gravel often.

I'll call him tomorrow. Unless he builds shocks, I'm not convinced he'll be able to help. It's not just the spring rate but the shock damping is also non existent.

Offline blauth

« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2018, 04:56:13 pm »
dont want to clog this thread up....but here goes!  ;)

Rockfox also do a low crash bar solution, posting it here, since it will shortly become available....

Chris & Team

Chris, when do you expect to get these in stock? I'll take a set of the lower crash bars.

PM me.

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #208 on: May 08, 2018, 08:57:25 pm »
Meeting with manufacturer tomorrow at 1pm, will know delivery date then (on back-order)
Cheers
Chris & Team
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #209 on: May 09, 2018, 07:59:11 am »
Managed to adjust my rear shock on the bike, not too difficult. After hearing of Blauth and owners on ADVrider saying that increasing adjustment to maximum setting makes the kickback quite harsh I decided to leave it about 3/4 adjusted. Now at least not as soft as before.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline blauth

« Reply #210 on: May 11, 2018, 08:53:59 am »

Online teebag

« Reply #211 on: May 11, 2018, 11:58:31 am »
 :-\ wow

Offline Zanie

« Reply #212 on: May 11, 2018, 01:14:03 pm »
blauth: Have you tried the bike on some rougher roads (I'm not talking about highway gravel here) or just commuting?

Offline blauth

« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2018, 03:10:19 pm »
blauth: Have you tried the bike on some rougher roads (I'm not talking about highway gravel here) or just commuting?

Hi Zania,

Not really. I have a few short dirt stretches on the way to work and many speed humps. In principle, the bike is a good bike but for me to really be happy with it, I need to spend at least 10k on the suspension. I then need to put a pipe on to smooth out the gutlessness below 6500rpm so that's another 5k odd. Then I can start putting the nice to have's on like bars, hand guards etc. So I'm thinking to myself, that's another 20k that I personally need to dump into this before I think I'll be chuffed. I'm not convinced I want to do that.

And then there is the other side of the coin; I rode my old stoep kakker (the 250 Tornado) to work this morning and had more fun on it than I've had the last four days of riding the Rally. That's just not right.

I doubt it will go in the next two weeks anyway and I have a trip planned to Dullstroom (a solid test since the route is mostly like your ride report that you did a few days ago) in a week so I can always retract the sale if I change my mind after that trip.

Before I bought the Rally, my original plan was to keep the Tornado for commuting and then buy a second play bike. When I saw the Rally for 65k, I jumped the gun and did a knee jerk purchase and in retrospect, I think I made a mistake.

Offline Zanie

« Reply #214 on: May 11, 2018, 04:00:41 pm »
Totally understandable. For me, it was a massive upgrade from my 650GS, but you already have the Tornado, which seems to live in that same functionality zone.

I also plan to do no modifications to my Rally (so no extra cost), aside from potentially increasing screen height - only because I've had to see the physio twice now due to neck strains from wind buffeting.

It would be interesting to hear your feedback if you do take the Rally to Dullstroom.

Offline blauth

« Reply #215 on: May 11, 2018, 09:41:20 pm »
It looks sooooo damn good, maybe I should give this Rally a bit more of a chance.

I'm gonna swap out the rear shock from the Tornado tomorrow. It's 10mm shorter than the Rally but it should give me a feel of the bike with a shock that actually damps. Will also see if the FMF fits too.

Online teebag

« Reply #216 on: May 11, 2018, 09:57:42 pm »
Fingers crossed

Offline superfoxi

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Professional motorcycle and suspension services
« Reply #217 on: May 12, 2018, 09:34:04 am »
I´m busy with a suspension upgrade on a brand new 250L. The owner is tall and heavy (110kg) and obviously complains about the excessive suspension sag. I installed a additional spring and spacers into the (normally spring-less) left fork leg to raise the overall spring rate. The fork cartridge can be taken apart and re-valved. But I want to test the result of the spring conversion first without changing the damping.
I also put a heavier spring onto the rear shock. Let´s see how that works. The rear shock can also be taken apart (and re-valved) but a nitrogen filler valve has to be installed to pressurize it again - but that´s not a big problem.
Let´s see how things go...

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #218 on: May 12, 2018, 03:24:55 pm »
Rode mine through part of Baviaans and the bike made it look very easy. Did Smitskraal twice just for fun. Nice and stable on the rocky sections bit like my TE610 used to be. Stock everything no problems at all. Yes rear is soft hopefully Superfoxi comes up with a solution.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline blauth

« Reply #219 on: May 12, 2018, 03:26:18 pm »
Howzit everyone.

I wanted to give you guys some feedback on my experiments on my Rally. I pulled the shock from my Tornado this morning. The spring rate is probably 20% stiffer and damping is probably 40-50% more than the Rally's rear shock. It appears to be visually similar on the outside but they behave completely differently. The Tornado shock is about 15mm shorter than the Rally shock.

I turned the preload on the Tornado shock to max. It fit perfectly except it's a bit lower at the back now and probably has slightly less suspension travel because the shock stroke is a tad shorter. To compensate for the lower rear, I dropped the forks through the triple clamps by 17mm. It's a little more raked out but only marginally.

Also installed bar risers, raising the bars by 18mm.

I was feeling cramped on the bike when standing, even with the bars as far forward as I could get them so using fuel hose and long M5 bolts, I tilted the windscreen more vertical. This allowed me to move the bars a fraction more forward and it looks more like the Rally bike now which has a pretty verticle screen.

This really was a keep/no keep test so I took it out over some gnarly koppies in Mnandi area, down some seriously corrugated dirt and naturally down the tar at speed because I was a little worried about the windscreen angle change messing with the wind flow.

Result:
It's not even vaguely the same bike to ride. That rear shock allows me to wheelie over humps now and doesn't just bog and make the bike unstable. The marshmallow feel is completely gone. The back feels planted now too, even managed a power slide or two  :ricky:  The front feels a little skittish and does deflect off smaller rocks so I could set the rear pre-load down a fraction but only a tiny bit. Personally, I like it like it is. Having said this, I took it up the most unpleasantly rocky hill I know in the area so it actually performed admirably. That particular hill is even unpleasant on my mountain bike.  :o

I actually like the front. If you slam into a gully in a decline, it will bottom out but for ordinary adventure riding, it's ok.

One obvious advantage for short people is the lower seat height. This was very noticeable and made for an extremely manageable package in tricky terrain. In fact, I'd actually recommend a slightly shorter shock (like the Tornado shock) for short people. Ground clearance is still 250mm+ and with less sag, it's less of a problem.

The windscreen worked perfectly and looks a damn side more Rally like in my opinion so I'm happy with that change. Also no handlebars fighting with it and there's lots of space for charging sockets and whatnot. The new bar position has made the cockpit more roomy so I also felt a hell of a lot more comfy.

So, I ask with tears in my eyes, why can Honda manage to build a proper shock for the Tornado some 20 years back and make such a fuckup of this bikes shock. It literally spoils an otherwise great package.

The engine is still gutless low down but I put the snorkel back in which improved it just a tad.

After the experiments, I've decided to persevere with this bike. I'm sure once all the bits are done, I'll love it like everyone else loves theirs.