Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CRF250 Rally/DS  (Read 56321 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
Re: CRF250 Rally/DS
« Reply #340 on: July 12, 2018, 11:50:07 am »
Loopsoosstroop my invitation is open you can ride my bike anytime  :thumleft:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #341 on: July 12, 2018, 11:52:01 am »
I was also looking around at other cheaper options. The little Yamaha WR250 would have been far cheaper and in technical sections probably better due to the low seat height.

But the Rally looked so pretty, it felt less cramped (my longer legs made me sit in the fetal positional on the Yammie) and I actually like the plush suspension.

It's also great to have a bike with no second-hand issues, because (at least from my experience) there is always the extra cash you drop to fix up a second-hand bike.
Maintenance would have also cost a small fortune, oil change every 2000km vs every 12000km (although I would do 8000). Then again Rally vs WR cost would also come into play. But no doubt over time the Rally will have a much lower running cost.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #342 on: July 12, 2018, 11:57:36 am »
 every 12000km

I would change oil every 5000 kms. :deal:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #343 on: July 12, 2018, 12:00:40 pm »
every 12000km

I don't think the Rally motor is stressed at all but if you ride dirt a lot I agree would rather service more than specified.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #344 on: July 12, 2018, 12:45:14 pm »
Loopsoosstroop my invitation is open you can ride my bike anytime  :thumleft:

Thank you, I will take you up on that soon!

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #345 on: July 12, 2018, 12:49:09 pm »
This would be a mistake in my opinion. Get the bike you wan't, not the cheapest you can get. I'm a serious tight ass too but won't buy a bike I wan't second best again to save a buck.

Fair enough, except if that is R20k bucks for example. Nice Versys for R54k on Gomboom.

Problem is I like both very much.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:50:09 pm by LoopSoosStroop »

Offline blauth

« Reply #346 on: July 12, 2018, 03:13:41 pm »
This would be a mistake in my opinion. Get the bike you wan't, not the cheapest you can get. I'm a serious tight ass too but won't buy a bike I wan't second best again to save a buck.

Fair enough, except if that is R20k bucks for example. Nice Versys for R54k on Gomboom.

Problem is I like both very much.

I paid 65k for my Rally with 1800km on the dial. They are far and few between but a cheaper second hand one will pop up, especially now that we're going into the second year of sales. Also scan the dealers. They are eager to sell them because they aren't flying off the showroom floors.  Thing is, once sold, I think the buyers are liking them, they're just initially skeptical about the high new selling price and small HP.

The lived experience is however a very satisfactory one and that's difficult to sell on paper.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #347 on: July 12, 2018, 03:24:56 pm »
Must say I have still to take mine on rally technical terrain, it's not as light as most think .... I'd say 20kg heavier than a DRZ400 for instance. But it's physically small and I'm sure it will be just fine.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #348 on: July 12, 2018, 03:25:15 pm »
Should plan a Dewildt ride  :deal:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline blauth

« Reply #349 on: July 12, 2018, 04:29:26 pm »

I'm keen on an overnight to my dads place near Dullstroom. If anyone is keen, his rate is R350 per night Self Catering. I could ask him to arrange some beer and meat for a braai for us beforehand if we get a group together. It's a solid ride. About 450km there and back the following day is about 300 odd.

Pace needs to be kept up a little though else we have to cut chunks out of the ride because it's a pretty long day.

Anyone keen?

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #350 on: July 12, 2018, 04:33:10 pm »

I'm keen on an overnight to my dads place near Dullstroom. If anyone is keen, his rate is R350 per night Self Catering. I could ask him to arrange some beer and meat for a braai for us beforehand if we get a group together. It's a solid ride. About 450km there and back the following day is about 300 odd.

Pace needs to be kept up a little though else we have to cut chunks out of the ride because it's a pretty long day.

Anyone keen?
Jis I don't know winter in Dullstroom on a bike  :biggrin: I'm still keen though
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline blauth

« Reply #351 on: July 12, 2018, 04:52:00 pm »

Anyone keen?
Jis I don't know winter in Dullstroom on a bike  :biggrin: I'm still keen though

Maybe next weekend. I'll start a thread in the Planning a ride but it's not ideal for a big group or for massive bikes.

Offline Zanie

« Reply #352 on: July 12, 2018, 05:00:47 pm »
every 12000km

That's my plan: to do an oil change at 6000 km. I did the same for my 650GS: recommended 10,000 km intervals, but I did an oil change every 5000 km.

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #353 on: July 13, 2018, 09:41:01 am »
Must say I have still to take mine on rally technical terrain, it's not as light as most think .... I'd say 20kg heavier than a DRZ400 for instance. But it's physically small and I'm sure it will be just fine.

I don't have to ride one to know it will really struggle in sand and riverbeds, but it will still be better there than a Versys  ;D

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #354 on: July 13, 2018, 09:52:10 am »

I don't have to ride one to know it will really struggle in sand and riverbeds, but it will still be better there than a Versys  ;D
Think your TTR would be much more suited to tech stuff but as an all rounder still with serious off road ability I reckon the Rally is hard to beat.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #355 on: July 13, 2018, 09:55:07 am »
Correct, but even the TTR is a handful in sand and dunes. The 250 plaasbikes just don't have the HP for proper deep sand. Everywhere else I don't see a problem, even the tech climbs at Dewildt.

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #356 on: July 13, 2018, 01:38:30 pm »
Ok, so could not hold it in anymore, went for a quick lunch test ride at Honda East Rand.  Very, very impressed. It is a way better bike than I anticipated. Very refined, composed and comfortable. Makes you wonder why everyone is riding 1000+ cc monsters?

Felt much more comfortable riding and maneuvering it around traffic than the Versys, probably due to my scrambler background. Has enough poke to cruise comfortably at indicated 120 kmph on the N12.

Also, no issues with the rear shock wanting to throw me over the bars, but I did only ride it through some potholes and over speed bumps. 

Very well thought out bike. Well done Honda!

Hmmm...

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #357 on: July 13, 2018, 02:06:44 pm »
Don't go out of your way but if someone can please post the height of the grips when the bike i upright I'd appreciate it  :thumleft:

I am getting annoyed with my low GS handlebars not being able to clear car mirrors in traffic
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline blauth

« Reply #358 on: July 13, 2018, 02:16:47 pm »
Ok, so could not hold it in anymore, went for a quick lunch test ride at Honda East Rand.  Very, very impressed. It is a way better bike than I anticipated. Very refined, composed and comfortable. Makes you wonder why everyone is riding 1000+ cc monsters?

Felt much more comfortable riding and maneuvering it around traffic than the Versys, probably due to my scrambler background. Has enough poke to cruise comfortably at indicated 120 kmph on the N12.

Also, no issues with the rear shock wanting to throw me over the bars, but I did only ride it through some potholes and over speed bumps. 

Hmmm...

Awesome!!  Glad you like it. It also looks better than the Kawa but that's a subjective opinion.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #359 on: July 13, 2018, 02:19:55 pm »

Hmmm...
Yes surprises one when you ride it, refined compared to the old school 250's. I'm actually still surprised how the heck they kept it so smooth at 120km/h without weights on the wheels and fairly knobby tyres as stock.
J.R.R Tolkien