Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CRF250 Rally/DS  (Read 52202 times)

Offline Orangeswifty

• Please proceed to suck my
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Ousted Rebel Alpha Male
Re: CRF250 Rally/DS
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2017, 10:14:27 am »
I'm sorry but I don't understand the current Hoo-Haa around the smaller engine touring bikes.
For me its all about the balance between power and weight.
Granted.......a smaller lighter touring bike is the answer but there are 2 things that are paramount to travelling in comfort
Fuel range and power to weight.
If you are on a dirt road traveling at 40 to 60 k's/hour and there is an unexpected obstacle you need reserve power to get you out of the shit.
Unless you enjoy going down and eating dust

Imagine packing 30 to 50kg's of touring essentials on that bike with yourself on top and trying to overtake a lorry or something on an incline with 18.2Kw Max power output ::)
It would be frustrating to say the least.
Almost like that piece of shit 650 Dakar GS I used to own for 3months :eek7:
My weight with luggage and tools would be 160kg's min
Most SA boys weigh upwards of 100Kg's
Except for midgets and maergatte!

I would NEVER buy something like this
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:19:58 am by Orangeswifty »
We are blessed to share the biking fraternity together!
Do it now - tomorrow you are dead!
Real friends value loyalty regardless!

Offline Bwana

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2017, 05:10:31 pm »

Makes Sense to me. There are many world travelers now on smaller bikes. They go places big bikes dont.

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2017, 07:44:46 pm »
I'm sorry but I don't understand the current Hoo-Haa around the smaller engine touring bikes.
For me its all about the balance between power and weight.
Granted.......a smaller lighter touring bike is the answer but there are 2 things that are paramount to travelling in comfort
Fuel range and power to weight.
If you are on a dirt road traveling at 40 to 60 k's/hour and there is an unexpected obstacle you need reserve power to get you out of the shit.
Unless you enjoy going down and eating dust

Imagine packing 30 to 50kg's of touring essentials on that bike with yourself on top and trying to overtake a lorry or something on an incline with 18.2Kw Max power output ::)
It would be frustrating to say the least.
Almost like that piece of shit 650 Dakar GS I used to own for 3months :eek7:
My weight with luggage and tools would be 160kg's min
Most SA boys weigh upwards of 100Kg's
Except for midgets and maergatte!

I would NEVER buy something like this

Swifty

Adventure bikes or dual sport bikes is the most lucrative segment for most motorcycle brands. Thorough research into this segment has shown that there is a massive non-active yet aspirational following of wannabe adventure riders that simply don't buyfor several reasons.

Some of these reasons are:

Bike weight
Bike power (yes I know)
Too scared of embarrassment
Price
Reluctance to purchase secondhand
etc.

From what I understand you are a very good rider. Most wannabe adventurers are not. All the brands will rapidly follow the trend and cater for this lucrative market in the very near future.
Kamanya, Rynet, 2SD, Tau, Jaco Kirsten and LuckyStriker will do the CRF Rally media launch with us in two weeks time. Let's hear what they think of it, knowing who the market is that these small dualies are intended for.

Cheers
Hardy

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2017, 08:03:23 pm »
Kind of ironic that all the people chosen for the launch love big bikes.

Will be interesting to hear what they say about an overweight 250, let's hope it is the bike everyone is dreaming of.

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2017, 10:32:28 pm »
so I guess the question is would you pay 80K for a essentially 250L with a molded ? bash plate and a new light assembly - the cf250L is everything this bike is without the molded plastics - looks the part but is the same bike .

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2017, 03:37:36 am »
so I guess the question is would you pay 80K for a essentially 250L with a molded ? bash plate and a new light assembly - the cf250L is everything this bike is without the molded plastics - looks the part but is the same bike .

You could say that, or you could say it does have a fairing/windscreen, LED lights and indicators, bigger tank, abs of which the rear wheel could be switched off on the fly, rally footpegs etc..

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2017, 06:36:59 am »

Will be interesting to hear what they say about an overweight 250, let's hope it is the bike everyone is dreaming of.

No one is under the illusion that this is the holy grail of adventure bikes but it's still an exciting model
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Bwana

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2017, 08:24:01 am »
I understand the engine is slightly upgraded for more horsepower and torque. Also the gearbox has different ratios to the 250L..

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2017, 04:18:29 pm »
She is pretty in real life. 🤤🤤🤤

I am an absolute power freak, I have destroyed TKC 80 's in 800 km and I have done 1000km of dirt at high speed.

This bike is not that.

My father inlaw crashed his 1200 and passed away. I am still convinced he was over biked.

In the USA, Aus and Europe people travel vast distances on singles. This bike has range and ability.

Yes you are not flying on open roads, but you can explore all the wilder spots.

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2017, 06:35:54 pm »

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2017, 11:59:40 pm »
I can't wait to ride this little bike. I have spent many moons trying to convince non biking riders to have a go. I had a wife that might have tried, I have nephews who are keen but still young, I have numerous friends who mountain bike or 4x4 and are intrigued but have never considered the utter fun and freedom a bike can bring.

I can't wait to throw it over and pick it up, see how it cruises, how competent the suspension is and all the practical shit that many princess or cheap models miss.

A bonus is if I can slide it, sit on it for 8 hours and have fun.
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2017, 12:25:56 am »
Whether we like it or not, agree or disagree, but image plays a role in biking, and most other places.

This little bike is pretty, very pretty, and cool in the current rally fashion.

On paper it does seem to have little power, but I have seen that in practise it often feels different, so let us see what they feel like.

Geelkat, I love small bikes and I will at the very least give it a fair review.

And a thorough test. >:D

Offline Bwana

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2017, 03:55:52 pm »
Hi I have managed to one for my showroom in Knysna. Feels incredibly light compared to my AT. Looks fantastic.

Offline 1190

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2017, 03:58:33 pm »
Nice  :thumleft: we need a ride report :thumleft:
Smith & Wesson the original point and click interface

Offline Bwana

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2017, 04:51:23 pm »
Unfortunately this is a stock bike. i will try get my hands on a demo.

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2017, 06:11:35 pm »

Very capable in the rough. Would have loved to do some series climbs that I could reference to other bikes, but don't want to damage her before the launch.

Great build quality.

Offline Woestynhond

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2017, 07:33:23 pm »
What is the dry weight of bike?
and she said " What are you doin today ? ".
and I said " Nothing ".
and she said " But you did that yesterday ".
and I said "I haven`t finished yet ".

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2017, 07:23:57 am »
Whether we like it or not, agree or disagree, but image plays a role in biking, and most other places.

On paper it does seem to have little power, but I have seen that in practise it often feels different, so let us see what they feel like.

No one is under the illusion that this is the holy grail of adventure bikes but it's still an exciting model

You both seem to think i am trashing this bike without knowing anything about it - you are both wrong.

The two most underrated bikes in our garage are the little CRF230's, on which my wife and daughter have hours of fun anywhere we feel like riding, any terrain, any time - even tar if really necessary.

I really hope this is a great little bike.
The weight of the bike seems a bit high to me, I will be quite happy to be proven wrong.

Fact is that the testers are all "big bike people" but that is probably a good thing.

Another fact is that all the testers CAN ride and all of them will also provide a no bullshit review of any bike they test.

Last fact is that I can easily see two small touring bikes in our garage for my wife and I going forward, so any development in this area can only be good.

Offline Bwana

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2017, 10:08:28 am »
The Kerb weight is 157KGs Dry weight 145KGs

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2017, 12:37:06 pm »

You both seem to think i am trashing this bike without knowing anything about it - you are both wrong.

The two most underrated bikes in our garage are the little CRF230's, on which my wife and daughter have hours of fun anywhere we feel like riding, any terrain, any time - even tar if really necessary.

I really hope this is a great little bike.
The weight of the bike seems a bit high to me, I will be quite happy to be proven wrong.

Fact is that the testers are all "big bike people" but that is probably a good thing.

Another fact is that all the testers CAN ride and all of them will also provide a no bullshit review of any bike they test.

Last fact is that I can easily see two small touring bikes in our garage for my wife and I going forward, so any development in this area can only be good.

Geel Kat

I did not think you were trashing it, and you are correct. The riders were chosen because, apart from Oom Danie, they are all big bike riders, with a reputation for honest reviews. I believe the bigger bikes are just too expensive nowadays, and I also believe that while the brands slug it out to see who gets the most electronic gadgets onto the bikes, the riders (who switches all this shite off, the moment they hit the gravel) will eventually end up with bikes that weighs a ton, and therefor fall short of what they are suppose to be.