Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CRF250 Rally/DS  (Read 54802 times)

Offline teebag

Re: CRF250 Rally/DS
« Reply #180 on: May 05, 2018, 05:49:25 pm »
Maybe I should actually ready mine and see what if I can find some too
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 06:49:39 pm by teebag »

Offline teebag

« Reply #181 on: May 05, 2018, 06:30:49 pm »
No luck ,  but I did learn how to set the clock
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 06:49:55 pm by teebag »

Offline blauth

« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2018, 06:36:11 pm »
Picked up my scoot today. Got a pretty good deal. 65k.

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #183 on: May 05, 2018, 06:39:49 pm »
Picked up my scoot today. Got a pretty good deal. 65k.

Lekker man! On the road price? Demo as well?

Offline teebag

« Reply #184 on: May 05, 2018, 06:40:48 pm »

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 06:50:17 pm by teebag »

Offline blauth

« Reply #185 on: May 05, 2018, 06:42:38 pm »
First order of business. Set the preload on rear shock to the max. Removing the shock to do so is easy enough. Top nut is a little tricky but doable. Also there was no grease on the suspension bolts. Not required for lubrication but it does assist with corrosion.

Offline blauth

« Reply #186 on: May 05, 2018, 06:44:51 pm »
Excluding on the road which was 2.5k which includes roadworthy and licensing.

Offline Grappa

« Reply #187 on: May 05, 2018, 07:14:12 pm »
Damn good deal blauth. At one stage they were retailing in the region of R84k

Offline blauth

« Reply #188 on: May 05, 2018, 07:23:28 pm »
I didn't buy it new so checking tools to see if spanners needed for removal of wheels revealed that a 19mm was not in the kit (in case the rear axles turns) but Kawasaki came to the rescue.

I must say. Honda engineers have been paying attention to the ease of maintenance. Only two allen keys needed for seat and panel removal. Was pretty simple to get the panels and seat off. Nice.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 06:51:20 am by blauth »

Offline blauth

« Reply #189 on: May 05, 2018, 07:26:49 pm »
Old and new making friends.... :lol8:

Offline blauth

« Reply #190 on: May 05, 2018, 07:32:49 pm »
dont want to clog this thread up....but here goes!  ;)

Rockfox also do a low crash bar solution, posting it here, since it will shortly become available....

Chris & Team

Chris, let me know when you get these in please. I'll definitely take one.

Thanks
Barry

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #191 on: May 05, 2018, 08:27:56 pm »
Let me join in. Went for a ride today did not do any suspension settings. The front fork is actually very good, did some varying terrain and it coped really well. The back shock not as good and I will follow Bauth's route and make the spring firmer. The stock suspension on this bike is much better than the Tenere I had, Tenere improves a lot with a set of progressive springs but the Rally still feels like it has more travel. Stock gearing is good enough as the bike can still sit at an easy 100 - 110km/h. Did not do anything to hectic but the gearbox could easily handle it all. I wont say the Rally is revelation offroad but certainly capable. I would say on par with the lighter 650's like the DR and so on. It is still a fair bit heavier than most 250's. I struggled a bit in sand and not sure if it's due to the IRC tires or the fact that the rear is so damn think like a marie biscuit. Pressure was 1.5 bar. As the ride went on I became for comfortable on the bike and the lower seat height is quite nice for off roading. ABS kicked in once not sure what to make of it yet, good or bad we will see. I see in the States most Rally models are non ABS and if it makes the bike cheaper I would be quite happy to take it like that. Now on 220km on the trip meter and two bars left on the fuel gauge.

Some pics
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline blauth

« Reply #192 on: May 06, 2018, 06:59:01 am »
Can't wait to take mine for a ride and see what it's like. Must cycle first this morning.....I'm getting fat and lazy.  :(

Online dirtyXT

« Reply #193 on: May 07, 2018, 08:06:45 am »
did i see you on the N1 this morning Blauth? i was following the cop on the bike clearing the way for me.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline blauth

« Reply #194 on: May 07, 2018, 08:41:48 am »
did i see you on the N1 this morning Blauth? i was following the cop on the bike clearing the way for me.

Nope, not me. I don't commute on the highway.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #195 on: May 07, 2018, 10:36:59 am »
Let me join in. Went for a ride today did not do any suspension settings. The front fork is actually very good, did some varying terrain and it coped really well. The back shock not as good and I will follow Bauth's route and make the spring firmer. The stock suspension on this bike is much better than the Tenere I had, Tenere improves a lot with a set of progressive springs but the Rally still feels like it has more travel. Stock gearing is good enough as the bike can still sit at an easy 100 - 110km/h. Did not do anything to hectic but the gearbox could easily handle it all. I wont say the Rally is revelation offroad but certainly capable. I would say on par with the lighter 650's like the DR and so on. It is still a fair bit heavier than most 250's. I struggled a bit in sand and not sure if it's due to the IRC tires or the fact that the rear is so damn think like a marie biscuit. Pressure was 1.5 bar. As the ride went on I became for comfortable on the bike and the lower seat height is quite nice for off roading. ABS kicked in once not sure what to make of it yet, good or bad we will see. I see in the States most Rally models are non ABS and if it makes the bike cheaper I would be quite happy to take it like that. Now on 220km on the trip meter and two bars left on the fuel gauge.

Some pics

Do you think you could fit a 130 on the back there?

The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline teebag

« Reply #196 on: May 07, 2018, 11:38:00 am »
It depends on the profile of the tyre, the more aggressive the tread pattern the less likely it will work.

I ended up with a 120 D606 as the 130 would have hit the tool box under suspension compression. A more road biased tyre would fit in a 130.

Offline blauth

« Reply #197 on: May 07, 2018, 11:43:37 am »
So, after my ride to work this morning (which includes two short stretches of dirt), I've formed a preliminary opinion of the Rally. I'm contextualizing a little in my head with how it compares to my existing Tornado.

Quality: It's pretty good in some areas and not so great in others. I find the switches feel cheap. Handlebars are obviously out of the budget parts bin. Indicators and lights are very nice quality. I love the fact that the indicators stay illuminated when riding. It's assists with safety in a big way. I'll get to the rear shock below (it's not good). Panels seem ok but will need some protection because their shiny good looks are going to dull up pretty quick on an adventure ride.

Ergonomics: I'm 1.83m tall. I find the seat to peg ratio cramped compared to the Tornado. Not uncomfortable but a little more cramped than I would like. I would have preferred lower pegs but to be fair, I feel like this on almost every bike I own. I tilted my handlebars forward by about 50mm (as far as they will go without causing an issue with the windscreen on full lock). It feels comfortable when seated but still a bit cramped when standing. I'll sort this out with aftermarket bars and risers. For my height, the windscreen is great. I didn't experience any buffeting which used to be an issue on the Tenere. I know Zanie is uncomfortable at speed, most likely because she's just a little shorter and the wind doesn't catch her entire head. The foot pegs are a nice size, similar to a dirt bikes size footpeg. I took the strap off the seat. My seating position has me sitting on the strap which is just irritating. I like the seat ergonomics. Nice and narrow where it needs to be an wide enough where you sit. Generally speaking, the ergo's are pretty good, probably ideal for someone who is between 1.6 and 1.74m tall.

Ride feel: The bike is very well balanced and is super easy to ride. Of course I can feel a massive difference in nimbleness between this and my little Tornado. The Tornado feels more like a dirt bike and the extra weight is felt significantly on this bike. Surprisingly, the extra weight doesn't translate into added stability but I think that's because of the crap rear suspension to be honest. The brakes are superb!! I tested the ABS in my garden. They work well and being able to turn it off with a button is fantastic. No complicated menu's and nonsense. Again, well done Honda. Speaking of balance, I tested some walking pace 180 degree standup turns which is quite a good indicator on a bikes ergo's and balance and this bike passed with flying colours. This explains the good handling offroad. The front suspension is rigid enough yet super plush. Surprisingly, it also doesn't dive too much on the road which is well done to Honda. Now this brings me to the rear shock. Honda, seriously, what were you thinking.  :eek7:   It's as bad as the X-Challenge air shock. Undersprung (which can be forgiven) but the damping is almost non existent. Don't lean forward (or even stay nuetral) going over speed humps, the back end comes up and kicks you in the arse. This shock is the single worst thing on this bike. Puts a real damper on the package (excuse the pun). Overall however, I'd say the suspension package on the Tornado is better.

Engine:
Surprisingly, it's quite a bit more vibey than my 250 Tornado. I have a pipe on my Tornado so the torque on the Tornado is good in the mid range and maybe a little less so on the top end of the rev range. The Rally isn't strong in the mid range and only starts making good power from about 6500rpm. Having said this, the Rally does have more power than the Tornado and as SideTrack mentioned before, maintains 110km/h + surprisingly well. It's also more consistent power than the Tornado which due to the carburetor and lack of water cooling, performs differently depending on the weather.

Ease of maintenance:
Honda's I've worked on in the past have been a pain in the ass. Completely unlike KTM's which dismantle with two spanners and five bolts. Here, I'm pleasantly surprised with the Rally. The seat and side panels come off with just two allan key sizes and only about four or five bolts. Very nice and simple. If I remember back to my Transalps, they were terrible. The early 650 Africa Twin was great too, indicative of the simplicity of the era. It looks like Honda are trying to move towards their roots again and that's a good thing. When I took the rear shock out to increase pre-load, the top bolt's nut is a bit difficult to but doable.

I'll post a comprehensive report as I own it longer and have done some offroad riding.

Online Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #198 on: May 07, 2018, 12:19:04 pm »
Bliksems nice
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #199 on: May 07, 2018, 02:34:53 pm »
They build a bike with such a nice dash, Fi, LED headlight and ABS then throws that horrible cheapy shock on there. There must be a maximum of 20-30mm adjustment on it only  :(
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien