Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CRF250 Rally/DS  (Read 56525 times)

Online Renrew

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • livethe1percentlife
Re: CRF250 Rally/DS
« Reply #260 on: June 04, 2018, 08:38:49 am »
Did you post that you got your bike? I remember you asking about interest rates...

If this is it, well congrats, bike looks super nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #261 on: June 04, 2018, 08:46:56 am »
Did you post that you got your bike? I remember you asking about interest rates...

If this is it, well congrats, bike looks super nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes had it for about a month now, must admit in the beginning I was not convinced I bought the right bike then as I rode it more and got used to just cruising around on the 250 I'm really enjoying it now. Starting with the mods slowly but surely. I would say :

Better rear shock an absolute must (front is ok)
Silencer
Bottom crash bars for the plastic panels (done thanks to Rockfox)
Rear carrier rack
Stronger bars and hand guards
606's when the stock ones are done, they are ok for now
Maybe extra lights, I'm a bit disappointed by the LED's. They look much more impressive than the actual light they put out. Better than most stock dual sport headlights but certainly not wow.
Install a 12V power point
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:47:54 am by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Online teebag

« Reply #262 on: June 04, 2018, 09:21:19 am »
(done thanks to Rockfox)

Eish jumping the queue, here's me still waiting to be told the are ready

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #263 on: June 04, 2018, 09:24:14 am »
(done thanks to Rockfox)

Eish jumping the queue, here's me still waiting to be told the are ready
They used my CRF for the Bike Expo at Kyalami to showcase the accesories. Very thankful got a set for using my bike, will post some pics later tonight. Must say they look great and will be sure to work well.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #264 on: June 04, 2018, 12:05:09 pm »
I read guys are fitting ECU's from Japanese spec CBR250's. Much more responsive they say.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline blauth

« Reply #265 on: June 04, 2018, 09:55:43 pm »
I read guys are fitting ECU's from Japanese spec CBR250's. Much more responsive they say.

Don't they have to mess about with one of the pins on the plug? Or was that the cbr300 ecu? Rev counter didn't work afterwards.

Offline blauth

« Reply #266 on: June 04, 2018, 10:03:39 pm »
I put my Tornado together again so the shitty rear shock is back in the Rally. Riding Tornado at the moment and enjoying it....hehe. I put both on the market. Whichever sells last is the one I'll keep. They both good bikes.

I had a discussion with Mike r.e. rear shock. He'd be my preferred option to modify the stock shock but he's in PE and a bit reluctant without the bike there to test it....as am I. He also mentioned that Wilber's although not overly high tech is great quality. YSS not so much. Maybe I'll bite the bullet with BlingKing (Wilber's). 7k for rear emulsion shock (basic model).

Offline Constantinople

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #267 on: June 05, 2018, 02:13:34 pm »

Don't go with the 606's, they are really heavy tires (thick casing), therefore it will sap the already meager power. For the weight of the bike, I suggest Michelin T63. I put it on and never got a puncture through the whole of Kaokoland. (Weirdly enough the front was punctured twice by camelthorn, Michelin Desert Race that has 1 ply thicker casing).

For the 12V power point, there is a socket already sitting inside the front left fairing. It has a little cap on to protect the contacts from dust. The cap is the actual socket required, you only need the pins and seals. However, it is a bit problematic to find them... I bought a Deutsch connector, however I still need to wire it in.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 02:14:37 pm by Constantinople »

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #268 on: June 05, 2018, 03:07:41 pm »

Don't go with the 606's, they are really heavy tires (thick casing), therefore it will sap the already meager power. For the weight of the bike, I suggest Michelin T63. I put it on and never got a puncture through the whole of Kaokoland. (Weirdly enough the front was punctured twice by camelthorn, Michelin Desert Race that has 1 ply thicker casing).

For the 12V power point, there is a socket already sitting inside the front left fairing. It has a little cap on to protect the contacts from dust. The cap is the actual socket required, you only need the pins and seals. However, it is a bit problematic to find them... I bought a Deutsch connector, however I still need to wire it in.
I heard the T63's are discontinued not being made anymore
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #269 on: June 05, 2018, 03:10:00 pm »
Michelin AC-10....  :biggrin:

Ok maybe not for all the tar riding.

Online teebag

« Reply #270 on: June 05, 2018, 03:13:19 pm »
I like my D606, but yes they are heavy/stiff - I rode home from a ride with no air on the rear, guess I aired down a little too much, at 1st I thought my gauge was broken until I removed the valve and very little came out.

FYI that fender plug is the same as the number plate light - for some reason mine does not work any more, but my GPS has constant power, go figure
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 03:14:06 pm by teebag »

Offline Constantinople

• Pack Dog
« Reply #271 on: June 05, 2018, 03:37:29 pm »
Dang, those T63 was quite the bang for buck.

@LoopSoosStroop where do you get the AC-10? Look nice. I see the Michelin Anakee Wild does cater for the sizes that the 250 L/Rally uses.

@teebag yes indeed. Also the red plug under the seat (allegedly something to do with engine management, so don't scratch there). Is your GPS plugged in there at the fender plug?

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #272 on: June 05, 2018, 03:48:18 pm »
Used to get them from Just Bike Tyre in Centurion. About three years ago though. Were quite affordable as well.

Online teebag

« Reply #273 on: June 05, 2018, 05:37:00 pm »
Yes I used the tail of the number plate light so the fender plug wiring would be nice and watertight, the factory blank is now in the rear under the tail piece to keep that all sealed up

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #274 on: June 05, 2018, 05:39:38 pm »
I thought the aux 12V plug was behind the left radiator shroud ?
J.R.R Tolkien

Online teebag

« Reply #275 on: June 05, 2018, 05:46:41 pm »
Yes that one, - it has a blank on the end, and you need the other half to make it work

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #276 on: June 06, 2018, 08:38:52 am »
Instead of cutting of plugs somewhere else I'm just going to make up a lead with those bullet type connectors and plug into the Honda unit. Not sure if I should go to a 12V cig socket or straight USB.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline blauth

« Reply #277 on: June 12, 2018, 08:15:46 pm »
I chatted to BlingKing about a Wilber's shock. Was looking at the Adjustline range which offers preload and rebound damping adjustment. Price would be around 7k but then a snag occurred. They only have the CRF250R/X and L listed on their parts catalog. Not the Rally.   :eek7:

Denver is gonna chat to the factory and get back to me. 

I seriously can't live with this rear shock. It feels like I'm loosing the backend around corners. My rebound is so poor that over a speed hump, my shock hits the extended limit with a knock and the seat hits me in the ass if I'm standing.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #278 on: June 12, 2018, 08:39:33 pm »
blauth, have you considered the YSS replacement shock or just a Racetech replacement spring?
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline blauth

« Reply #279 on: June 13, 2018, 11:51:23 am »
blauth, have you considered the YSS replacement shock or just a Racetech replacement spring?

I've heard good reports about YSS. The Netherlands branch quoted me 350 Euro I think but then I chatted to a well known mechanic chap on this forum who's opinion I respect a lot and he indicated that the quality on the YSS is not great.

A stiffer spring would help but to a degree it would exacerbate the shock problem because the shock is both under sprung and under damped. A heavier spring alone would most likely make it even worse. Damping needs to be fixed as well.