Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Pirelli SA BotY - and the winner is  (Read 5362 times)

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
Re: Pirelli SA BotY - and the winner is
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2016, 02:01:07 pm »
Just saying- Sometimes a committee can come to a conclusion that is more stupid than any of it's members........

There was no committee. The judges voted independently and anonymously.

:thumleft: I remember how your system works- not ctritising, just wondered on how many judges this one got first place. No sweat or criticism, just my opinion. There has to be a system and a winner :thumleft:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2016, 02:01:31 pm »
The Thruxton as well as the AT have been raved on in reviews. But where does that Tiger come from?? THere isnt much on them on youtube or so.
Is it really better than the LC GSA, the SA or the new Ducati Enduro? The little info I could see on it didnt show much revolutionary other than an electric windscreen?
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2016, 02:05:33 pm »
The Thruxton as well as the AT have been raved on in reviews. But where does that Tiger come from?? THere isnt much on them on youtube or so.
Is it really better than the LC GSA, the SA or the new Ducati Enduro? The little info I could see on it didnt show much revolutionary other than an electric windscreen?

This is the confusing part from me.  So, the Triumph Explorer came third.  What was it compared to, to be third?  If the guys say they compare then in class, then the Thruxton was best compared to other bikes in class.  For the AT and Explorer to be 2nd and third, what does it mean?  They are better than the competitors, but less so than the Thruxton, or worse than their competitors, therefore not winning?

#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2016, 02:12:50 pm »
Clearly sales / popularity have no influence, out of the finalist the only real seller (or mover) will be the AT.

In some ways, no. If it were on sales, a Sym scooter would win. It's based purely on riding impressions of the journalists.

What do these Thruxtons cost?

R174,000. That's not bad as an R Nine T is R175,000.

lot of old guys/hipsters on the judging panel?   ;D

A pic of all the hipsters  ;)

no one under 40    :peepwall:     ;D
Aha, 2Stroke Donovan is under 40.
Maybe he could enlighten us a bit about how the voting was done. ???

Sjoe, some typing ahead...

Judges were asked to test each bike based on the usual criteria - looks, engine, chassis, build quality, value, wow factor, etc - but not comparing them to other bikes on the trip, but other bikes in their class. So the judges needed to ride each bike and pretend that their competition was also present, and judge it according to that. This is why experienced journalists are used, partially because their combined coverage will receive more than 7 million views which is excellent for the whole industry, but also because they are the only ones who could do that.

We rode from Red Star (no track riding) to Sabie (swapping bikes three times along the way), slept at Böhm's, spent the next riding mostly on the 22 and then rode back the next day.

The judges had three days to think things through before they submitted their votes independently to the organisers. They each nominated their top six in descending order which were then allocated points according to the old Formula 1 system and a winner was calculated.

The Africa Twin scored the most 1st place votes (six) whereas the Thruxton only scored four, but the Thruxton made the top three in every single one of the votes.

The fact that the AF got second is excellent because that class is hugely competitive.

The Thruxton R got universal praise. This has never happened at a BOTY.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2016, 02:17:37 pm »
2 stroke, you dont want to elaborate a bit on the Tiger?
There is many discussions on Wilddogs already as to how good the Thruxton and AT is, their 1st and 2nd places was to be expected.

Offline Ou Krokkedil

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F700GS
  • Ride More, drink more BEER and stress less.
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2016, 02:20:14 pm »
How much money did triumph pay each of the journos :peepwall: That bike is ugly it does not have any wind deflection and your head will look like one of those dogs in the back of a Ford Cortina at 160.

Well obviously your necks are stronger than mine.
I LOVE RIDING

Offline Gryshond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2016, 02:24:49 pm »
How much money did triumph pay each of the journos :peepwall: That bike is ugly it does not have any wind deflection and your head will look like one of those dogs in the back of a Ford Cortina at 160.

Well obviously your necks are stronger than mine.

I am fairly sure no bribing was involved else Ducati would have done a lot better. Ugly is a point of view, wind deflection or lack thereof is relevant to tourers and adventure bikes.

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2016, 02:39:28 pm »
There is many discussions on Wilddogs already as to how good the Thruxton and AT is, their 1st and 2nd places was to be expected.

I suppose it is as you see it – the voters thought it was all that. I, personally, would rather have the Multi Enduro over the Explorer, but I am a horsepower monger, so this makes sense. Most of the judges did say raving things about it when I asked them at the awards evening.

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2016, 02:45:29 pm »

I suppose it is as you see it – the voters thought it was all that. I, personally, would rather have the Multi Enduro over the Explorer, but I am a horsepower monger, so this makes sense. Most of the judges did say raving things about it when I asked them at the awards evening.

For a competition like this you have all my sympathy-- on a hiding to nothing from the start :-[ :-\
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2016, 02:47:50 pm »
Sjoe, some typing ahead...

Judges were asked to test each bike based on the usual criteria - looks, engine, chassis, build quality, value, wow factor, etc - but not comparing them to other bikes on the trip, but other bikes in their class. So the judges needed to ride each bike and pretend that their competition was also present, and judge it according to that. This is why experienced journalists are used, partially because their combined coverage will receive more than 7 million views which is excellent for the whole industry, but also because they are the only ones who could do that.

We rode from Red Star (no track riding) to Sabie (swapping bikes three times along the way), slept at Böhm's, spent the next riding mostly on the 22 and then rode back the next day.

The judges had three days to think things through before they submitted their votes independently to the organisers. They each nominated their top six in descending order which were then allocated points according to the old Formula 1 system and a winner was calculated.

The Africa Twin scored the most 1st place votes (six) whereas the Thruxton only scored four, but the Thruxton made the top three in every single one of the votes.

The fact that the AF got second is excellent because that class is hugely competitive.

The Thruxton R got universal praise. This has never happened at a BOTY.

can't fault this system at all, thanks for the typing!   :thumleft:
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2016, 03:38:12 pm »
I also believe people should stop to try and fault the system and rather realise its an indication of one missing out on something. Broader the horizons.

If you think the bike is crap but others rave about it, you should maybe try to look beyond the looks, or beyond the differentness and see if there is something new maybe to experience.

Offline Fransw

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2016, 04:59:06 pm »
Die journos het free muffins gekry by Truimp!

Kom ons wees nou ernstig, wat anders kan dit wees? ???

Offline manta

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Reborn on the forum as Manta
Re:
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2016, 05:54:16 pm »
Thanks for the effort in bringing us the test and result. Posting any bike related test where there is a winner is fraught with danger.
Arm chair experts that have never ridden the bikes on the test.
Same okes who no doubt go to the doctor and tell him what to prescribe. Journos ride a lot of bikes and get the opportunity to compare.
I'm not unhappy with the winner, been getting awesome reviews from pros and laymen alike.

Offline Fransw

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2016, 06:21:15 pm »
Muffins! :snorting:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2016, 07:02:35 pm »
According to the description in MyFiets, the bikes are compared according to the following criteria:

-  How much better is the bike compared to its predecessor.
-  How does it compare to other bikes in the same class
-  General value for money
-  Esthetical
-  Technological
-  The WOW factor
-  What are the chances that you would buy the bike with your own money

#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline ButtSlider

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • DRESS TO SLIDE BEFORE YOU RIDE
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2016, 09:05:40 am »
Thanks for the explanation 2Stroke.
BMW 800 GSA  \\ Honda XL700V  \\  Honda Blackbird  \\

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2016, 06:26:43 am »
Donovan do we have any sort of break down on sales figures in this country for the motorcycles sold?? Even if it is just by type,not manufacturer or model, i.e. Plastics,scooters , sports bikes,cruisers and so on.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2016, 02:29:51 pm »
Just been reading Motorcycle.com blog from USA. They ran their own BOTY, and guess what?  :ricky:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline bronzy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • the older i get the faster i was !!!
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2016, 02:33:05 pm »
170k for that what got diamonds in the head light ???

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2016, 03:20:20 pm »
I applaud the BOTY contest, it is way overdue in SA....... but will always cause flak  ;D Good thing is it gets people talking about bikes they otherwise would not look at twice.........

I will have to go ride a Thruxton (R).... the win IS controversial, for me I fail to see anything "new", not sure if Ohlins and Brembo's change this, will have to be enlightened  :biggrin: Also can never understand how coming second or third more often tops outright wins..... but then that is probably the society we live in today..... ???

Please however carry on with BOTY, it is great for biking :thumleft:

Long live the Underdog.........