Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: NEW BMW Motorrad Off-Road Soft Luggage Range Launched  (Read 4979 times)

Offline plabusch

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
NEW BMW Motorrad Off-Road Soft Luggage Range Launched
« on: August 03, 2016, 06:43:34 am »
Don't know if anyone seen this, but BMW has joined the off road soft luggage game.
Here is the press release link.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/article/detail/T0262310EN_US/bmw-motorrad-usa-introduces-new-on-board-luggage-system-for-off-road-riding?language=en_US
2006 BMW HP2 Enduro (sold)
2016 Honda Africa Twin ABS Tri Color

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
Re: NEW BMW Motorrad Off-Road Soft Luggage Range Launched
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 07:26:16 am »
They look great. It appears as if they only available in the US for now. Not cheap after converting tho.
Pass this way once!

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 07:51:44 am »
They really look good.  Not sure if they are suited to SA with all the light fingers we have here dipping in to your luggage and helping themselves
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline Noneking

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 08:17:43 am »
Too many straps and buckles for my liking....... :peepwall:
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 08:21:17 am »

Must admit the aluminum panniers etc are so easy and more secure

Offline Fransw

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 09:30:55 am »
Its a bit embarrassing with ALL the BMW logos.. :snorting:

Offline Xpat

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 11:00:33 am »
They really look good.  Not sure if they are suited to SA with all the light fingers we have here dipping in to your luggage and helping themselves

Sorry, but in my experience you are wrong. I probably wouldn't dare to use soft luggage in Europe (and there is no point as there is no offroad) where they steal everything - including bikes, but in SA and third world they are perfectly safe. Never had anybody trying to steal anything from my bike in probably 150k km throughout Africa. And most of it with soft luggage.

Anybody serious about riding offroad sooner or later realizes how much superior soft luggage is over boxes. Boxes are useless offroad - rattle like crazy, they are not waterproof as soon as you wipe out, they will break your leg, and they are fixed in place and cannot be relocated for better centralization of mass (boxer on all bikes are way back to accommodate pillions - which nobody with serious offroad ambitions has).

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Rally rally rally
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 03:19:57 pm »

Must admit the aluminum panniers etc are so easy and more secure

They also double as camp stools...

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 03:33:29 pm »

Sorry, but in my experience you are wrong. I probably wouldn't dare to use soft luggage in Europe (and there is no point as there is no offroad) where they steal everything - including bikes, but in SA and third world they are perfectly safe. Never had anybody trying to steal anything from my bike in probably 150k km throughout Africa. And most of it with soft luggage.

Anybody serious about riding offroad sooner or later realizes how much superior soft luggage is over boxes. Boxes are useless offroad - rattle like crazy, they are not waterproof as soon as you wipe out, they will break your leg, and they are fixed in place and cannot be relocated for better centralization of mass (boxer on all bikes are way back to accommodate pillions - which nobody with serious offroad ambitions has).

I appreciate your reply and view.  My view is based on the possibility of stopping on route for lunch and leaving the bike unattended at a restaurant or campsite while sleeping.

Off the beaten track there is no cause for concern as there is usually nobody around 

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 03:42:56 pm »
I am with Xpat.

This looks awesome, but will be to expensive imo.
All those straps have a purpose, if you over tighten on one strap it will rip loose, this way the force is distributed. plus you can tuck your layers into a strap
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Xpat

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 05:26:40 pm »

I appreciate your reply and view.  My view is based on the possibility of stopping on route for lunch and leaving the bike unattended at a restaurant or campsite while sleeping.

Off the beaten track there is no cause for concern as there is usually nobody around 

Oh, I've done all that many times. I genuinelly have no concern leaving my bike in front of shopping mall or restaurant or in a busy area - never had any problem.

I think South Africans (I'm from Europe originally) have a tendency to overestimate crime in SA and other african countries. In my experience Africans are much more communal and hence concerned what other people think about them (as they may get lynched on SA, while that risk is non-existent in Europe) and therefore much more carefull if they can be seen, and the bikes and their luggage just aren't natural target as they don't have much of a use for bikes (I understand this may be slowy changing with superbikes which are the latest fashion in townships) and don't have a point of reference (and use) for what is in the luggage (what they are going to do with camping gear for example?). It just isn't obvious target.

Compared to that, Europe is much worse in terms theft. Chances of being a target of pickpocket or thief in London, Paris (or Prague where I'm from) are in my opinion multiples of what they are anywhere in SA. And most of the youth there have ambition to ride a bike so bikes are prime target for theft - back home I wouldn't stop for a lunch in restaurant (even in small village) unless I can keep my eyes on the bike. Here in SA (and other countries) I park my bike wherever I feel like it and just go about my business without second thought - much more relaxing here.

Where SA has real problem IMO is violent crime, that is incomparably less in Europe. And boxes are not going to help with that.

Look, if you like the average adv rider or commuter stay mostly on tar and only occassionaly do good dirt road, boxes are fine. As soon as you go offroad (in which for this purpose I include Namibian corrugated dirt highways as the boxed community seem to like them), you will very quickly see the advantages of soft luggage I already described. I have done 40k km through Africa with metal boxes and by the end they were just mangled piece of aluminium hammered back to approximate shape, were great to retail water for days getting in through mangled top and cracks on the side and they were driving me nuts by incessant rattle.

I am one of those rabbid anti-BMW people who consider them the main force of evil in adv riding. But I think it is good that they bring this alternative to the market as for some reason there is very limited selection of soft luggage in South Africa. So far I had to import all my soft luggage from Australia and USA, which gets expensive and tedious (with shitty post office) very quickly. So should this luggage be good, even at higher price I may buy some despite it being tainted by the BMW branding.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 09:20:58 pm »

For offroad riding there is indeed no comparison between hard and soft luggage. Hard luggage is for the highway.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 09:34:05 pm »
Xpat maybe you would like to explain a bit more on why bmw is the evil in adv riding? Personally I think bmw have made adv riding a lot more accepted in general and for me as a cheapskate secondhand buyer...I have a lot of well kept low mileage options that the oompies are selling.

Did you not do your first  trip on an 1150?

Offline Xpat

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 10:42:59 pm »
Xpat maybe you would like to explain a bit more on why bmw is the evil in adv riding? Personally I think bmw have made adv riding a lot more accepted in general and for me as a cheapskate secondhand buyer...I have a lot of well kept low mileage options that the oompies are selling.

Did you not do your first  trip on an 1150?

m0lt3n, I don't want to hijack this thread with offtopic banter - especially as toxic as that one is. I just mentioned it in the context of this thread to highlight that if BMW comes up with good soft luggage I may buy it despite the fact that I dislike the company, because soft luggage for me rules and there is lack of choice in SA.

At the end of the day, if people like you are happy ridding their BMWs, my personnal dislike of them is irrelevant and there is no point to polute this forum - live and let live. I'm happy to explain why I feel what I feel to you in PM if you want, but I don't see any upside discussing it in the open. I think we both know that will go down the drain like the proverbial shit immediately.

And my first trip to India was actually on Africa Twin. My second big trip through AFrica was on 1150GSA, and I have to admit that while looking back I do not care for AT at all (it did the job, but brought zero excitement), I still have warm and fuzzy feelings about that particular GSA  - even though it definitely wasn't the best tool for the job and if I would do it again I would take completely different bike.

Offline Chairman Meow

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Obey the Kitty
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 06:20:36 am »
Considering the first gs came out in 1981 it's quite groundbreaking that BMW took only 35 years to come up with such cutting edge options for DS riding.  :lol8:

Offline Leo

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 06:52:45 am »
Considering the first gs came out in 1981

............. and it is now parked in my garage  :biggrin:

Soft luggage is the way to go!  :thumleft:
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 09:57:50 am »
Considering the first gs came out in 1981 it's quite groundbreaking that BMW took only 35 years to come up with such cutting edge options for DS riding.  :lol8:

And the other manufacturers are still playing catch up! Eish

Xpat good answer, I will send that PM. You have way more experience than me so I want to knowwwwww

Offline Gryshond

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 10:53:38 am »
Now that the usual "missing the point of the thread" is out of the way let's talk about the luggage. It looks good but the price seems very high even at the improved exchange rate. What about the competition locally?

Can anyone comment on ATG and Flying Brick?

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 10:58:21 am »
I travelled may Km's through South, central & east Africa with hard luggage on a XT500 and later on a GSA - it was perfectly acceptable, never broke a leg, never had water penetration and the rattles were minimal - but we stuck to the predominantly good gravel, tar & the like. All good. And I still have all my hard luggage and both bikes.....

My next challenges will be on a smaller, lighter bike, much farther off the track (inspired a lot by Xpat actually), and for this I would never consider hard luggage. The weight alone makes them unacceptable imo. If safety is an issue - get a steel net that locks - OW sells them. I am going to look at the BMW bags when they get here - if they are made to the normal BMW standard, they will be good.

Different luggage for different adventures imo.
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 12:08:31 pm »
Now that the usual "missing the point of the thread" is out of the way let's talk about the luggage. It looks good but the price seems very high even at the improved exchange rate. What about the competition locally?

Can anyone comment on ATG and Flying Brick?

This thread was dead without the off topic stuff.

I have enduristan soft bags, great and durable plus have taken a lot of hard hits and they are still fine. Hard cases really would not have survived. I still use my topbox, but it starts to rattle every now and then then I have to spend some time again sorting that, even now. I agree with the hard-luggage-should-stay-on-tar school. To many outrides have you waiting for someone to fix their fancy cases.

I dont know Flyingbrick gear but in my opinion ATG is very good and I would recommend them. I do not think the Enduristan is worth the premium plus ATG gets the removable inners as a package. Obviously cant comment on the BMW durability, but they look nicer than these other offerings, because of all the straps.

Flying brick has the setup which goes on the rear seat or topbox-stand I think. They look nice and well thought through, but I would prefer to keep the weight low, adding these last after fitting saddlebags