Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: NEW BMW Motorrad Off-Road Soft Luggage Range Launched  (Read 4980 times)

Offline Tiger8

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
Re: NEW BMW Motorrad Off-Road Soft Luggage Range Launched
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 12:42:30 pm »
I have both hard and soft options, but as said before - the ride will dictate the baggage option. When I ride on my own I prefer the soft bags, I have Oxford waterproof roll-top Pannier bags and a Bags Connection roll bag. When my wife rides pillion it is Aluminium Boxes and a top Box, then the road travelled is less extreme - not that she minds. My wife prefers the hard case for packing convenience, although she has used the soft bag option for many years.

I find that the character of the bike changes radically between Cases and Bags as the cases put weight further back than the bags, That and the extra weight can make the front end lighter than I like. I prefer the feel and handling when using bags, but this is personal.

We actually have a decent range of soft bags to choose from locally with good support from the dealers.

Fortunately I have not had any incidents of vandalism or theft in many years of riding around SA, regardless of the luggage type I have used.

PS: I had an Oxford bag fail once, they replaced the item no questions no fuss, was really impressed with the service.
Don't Sweat the Petty Stuff & Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff!
Triumph Sprint 1050ST
Yamaha WR450F

Offline Sam

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 01:25:30 pm »
The Giant Loop "bag" that Flying Brick sells is the business. Hardly any straps, easier than easy to put on and take off. Pity they're so damn expensive.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 02:46:14 pm »
Yes, there are some soft bag options in SA. The main ones I'm aware of are ATG and Enduristan. And then the Giant Loop stuff.

I for one do not like the shape of ATG/Enduristan bags. They seem to try to mimick the shape of metal panniers and look weird and unwieldy to me. They are long and wide (sticking out) but short in height (i.e. rectangular). ANd they do not have straps to tighten them snug to the bike and not hang out.

I prefer more square shaped ones as it helps to keep stuff in even if overstuffed and helps to keep the weight down and center (I carry my saddle bags sitting on my passenger pegs and that makes big difference compared if the same gabs hang at the back off the pannier racks). Plus they can easily accomodate handy side pockets. GStry on the forum used to sell Buffalo bags, which I liked, but whenever I tried to order them they were not available

And those BMW bags in this tread seem to have the right shape for me. I have similarly shaped Andy Strapz bags, and they work great.

Offline Tiger8

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 03:24:00 pm »
Xpat, you're right, these BMW bags look very good.
Gerrard and I met a British couple in the Cederberg last year, the chap had made a frame which allowed him to clip soft bags on and off his GS, with no hassle, looked like a great system. His bags had a Teflon frame, have a pic of the system somewhere.
Don't Sweat the Petty Stuff & Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff!
Triumph Sprint 1050ST
Yamaha WR450F

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2016, 03:48:36 pm »
To safeguard your stuff, have a look at this. It is expensive yes, but it is the best out there....

For your documents / laptop etc (there is a bigger one as well)
http://www.pacsafe.com/travelsafe-5l-portable-safe.html

Put this over your panniers and luggage roll
http://www.pacsafe.com/pacsafe-55l-backpack-bag-protector.html

Pacsafe has some awesome solutions...

Offline Xpat

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2016, 04:01:55 pm »
It's true that I do not carry laptops and such. I do carry multiple cameras and lenses though.

In my experience by far the best protection from crime is low profile. Soft bags actually help with that as people do not expect expensive stuff there. My feeling is that those protection bags would arise exactly the wrong kind of attention. But that is just me...

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2016, 04:17:05 pm »
To safeguard your stuff, have a look at this. It is expensive yes, but it is the best out there....

But they only ship to the US...

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2016, 04:42:23 pm »

But they only ship to the US...

Due South Stores in SA does stock some Pacsafe items, but not the full range, maybe go and have a chat to them and see if they cannot source some other items in the range.

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2016, 04:43:53 pm »
It's true that I do not carry laptops and such. I do carry multiple cameras and lenses though.

In my experience by far the best protection from crime is low profile. Soft bags actually help with that as people do not expect expensive stuff there. My feeling is that those protection bags would arise exactly the wrong kind of attention. But that is just me...

Yeah, I agree with you on this. A Buddy of mine used the net cover on his solo trip down West Africa and he only used it to cover his luggage when he had to leave his bike in the open while having to go inside at border crossings, and when he had to leave his bike in the open outside dodgy accommodation spots, mainly in DRC. His soft bags were fixed to the KTM690 and he could not easily remove them.

Here is a link:
https://www.facebook.com/drcanafricanadventure/

Some pics of his set up:

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2016, 04:45:28 pm »
Oh, and this is what he said about the bags:

"Magadan saddle bags. 1000 weight canvas x 2 layers plus a layer of Kevlar between them to make them cut proof. From Adventure Spec England"

and he was extremely happy with them!

:thumleft:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:46:20 pm by EtienneXplore »

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Shaun
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2016, 05:03:25 pm »
They really look good.  Not sure if they are suited to SA with all the light fingers we have here dipping in to your luggage and helping themselves

Sorry, but in my experience you are wrong. I probably wouldn't dare to use soft luggage in Europe (and there is no point as there is no offroad) where they steal everything - including bikes, but in SA and third world they are perfectly safe. Never had anybody trying to steal anything from my bike in probably 150k km throughout Africa. And most of it with soft luggage.

Anybody serious about riding offroad sooner or later realizes how much superior soft luggage is over boxes. Boxes are useless offroad - rattle like crazy, they are not waterproof as soon as you wipe out, they will break your leg, and they are fixed in place and cannot be relocated for better centralization of mass (boxer on all bikes are way back to accommodate pillions - which nobody with serious offroad ambitions has).

For offroad riding there is indeed no comparison between hard and soft luggage. Hard luggage is for the highway.

Well said 2SD  ;) :thumleft: I could not agree with you more  ;)
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline JacquesP

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2016, 11:23:45 pm »
Hi dogs,

Thought I would give some more info on these bags.

They are actually manufactured by a small startup company in the US named Mosko Moto. In their recent success they were able to strike a collaborative partnership with BMW. Confirmed by them on AdvRider.

Company have a interesting story and put a lot of effort into their product development in collaboration with customers. Really humble in their approach and honest about their own failings while still growing their business.

Here is links to their own site and forum page on AdvRider

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/mosko-moto-soft-bags-for-offroad-dualsport.927215/

http://mosko-moto.myshopify.com/pages/about-us

I recently imported some of their gear and can confirm it is of very high quality. It is unfortunately pricey to import and they only sell directly to customer to keep costs low and quality high.

Their story is interesting so do yourself a favour and check their site. Good products. Well thought out.

Can't wait to take mine for its first trip. Unfortunately it arrived after my 10 day solo trip in July. Just motivates me to plan the next one.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 12:10:47 am by JacquesP »

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2016, 07:44:39 am »
The hard soft debate will always remain. It seems ever since Long Way Down the average consumer has considered hard luggage the gnarly macho ADVENTURE answer. Yes perception. In reality those who have done the 'thing' know better. Some have tried and learnt the 'hard way' (excuse the pun) and had to strap, cable tie and even abandon hard luggage. A friend (who could afford it) literally threw a KTM hard pannier away in Lesotho and the number of top boxes and panniers I have seen ejected I have lost count of! Nevermind their trajectory is potentially lethal to other riders  :o  I used the old BMW soft bags before other options were readily available (their Sports Large bag, Small one etc). They were fine if not used for proper off road adv riding - then they tended to want to start taking strain with the tie on clip straps that could break, attachments stitching pulling out, zips notoriously weak etc. I must say these knew ones do look in a different category and not designed with 'accessory' in a BMW designers mind rather than practicality.

That said my choice at present is Giant Loop - have a Mojave and Coyote - can be swopped between bikes and can choose size for different trips. Hardy, keep weight low, not a lot of straps to hook on things and irritate. Not cheap but better buy compared to hard panniers. Why make soft luggage to imitate hard? Initially you need to get used to packing them but then great. I also have a few small Kriega bags that are excellent for adding on if needed. My 2 cents.  :thumleft:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Xpat

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2016, 08:27:52 am »
Hi dogs,

Thought I would give some more info on these bags.

They are actually manufactured by a small startup company in the US named Mosko Moto. In their recent success they were able to strike a collaborative partnership with BMW. Confirmed by them on AdvRider.

Company have a interesting story and put a lot of effort into their product development in collaboration with customers. Really humble in their approach and honest about their own failings while still growing their business.

Here is links to their own site and forum page on AdvRider

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/mosko-moto-soft-bags-for-offroad-dualsport.927215/

http://mosko-moto.myshopify.com/pages/about-us

I recently imported some of their gear and can confirm it is of very high quality. It is unfortunately pricey to import and they only sell directly to customer to keep costs low and quality high.

Their story is interesting so do yourself a favour and check their site. Good products. Well thought out.

Can't wait to take mine for its first trip. Unfortunately it arrived after my 10 day solo trip in July. Just motivates me to plan the next one.

I thought it looks like Mosko Moto bags. To me they seem like a real deal. I am actually awaiting delivery of their Reckless 40 bags, which have made it here from US and are now lost somewhere in the bowels of SA post office  :dousing:. Those and their bigger variant Reckless 80 seem to me right now as the ultimate solution for proper offroad adventuring - like Giant Loop they do not require racks and hence make for sturdier attachment to bike, but IMO are much better than Giant Loop as they have holster system and three piece luggage instead of one big bag of Giant Loop that is difficult to get to contents, difficult to attach and disattach from the bike and have zippers that should be avoided IMO religiously on soft luggage.

Reckless 40/80:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYUegHH7sBY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Nn-y3E0rw

If BMW would bring those in here, I'm in their shop next day with cash in my hand - and I'm not particularly price sensitive.

That said, I wonder why nobody (OK probably with exception of ATG, but I don't fancy their current bags) in SA starts making proper dirt worthy soft luggage. There seem to be tons of companies making lost of staff for 4x4 safaris, so the machinery and skills should be available. There are quite a few companies in US and Australia making quality stuff (most of them started not so long ago) and charging top dollars for their stuff. So with the Rand low I would expect this to be a great opportunity for somebody here. Of course SA market is too small, but with a good price you can compete globaly no problem, and lower costs in SA should be an advantage.

Hopefully this thread could push somebody with the skill (which I lack sadly) to try something good - at the end of the day Mosko Moto is very small company started recently by three dirt riding dudes, and working from a dirt shed somewhere in Oregon mountains - just check those attached videos. And look - they have been already roped in by BMW...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 08:38:13 am by Xpat »

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2016, 08:40:39 am »
The hard soft debate will always remain. It seems ever since Long Way Down the average consumer has considered hard luggage the gnarly macho ADVENTURE answer. Yes perception. In reality those who have done the 'thing' know better. Some have tried and learnt the 'hard way' (excuse the pun) and had to strap, cable tie and even abandon hard luggage. A friend (who could afford it) literally threw a KTM hard pannier away in Lesotho and the number of top boxes and panniers I have seen ejected I have lost count of! Nevermind their trajectory is potentially lethal to other riders  :o  I used the old BMW soft bags before other options were readily available (their Sports Large bag, Small one etc). They were fine if not used for proper off road adv riding - then they tended to want to start taking strain with the tie on clip straps that could break, attachments stitching pulling out, zips notoriously weak etc. I must say these knew ones do look in a different category and not designed with 'accessory' in a BMW designers mind rather than practicality.

That said my choice at present is Giant Loop - have a Mojave and Coyote - can be swopped between bikes and can choose size for different trips. Hardy, keep weight low, not a lot of straps to hook on things and irritate. Not cheap but better buy compared to hard panniers. Why make soft luggage to imitate hard? Initially you need to get used to packing them but then great. I also have a few small Kriega bags that are excellent for adding on if needed. My 2 cents.  :thumleft:

My earlier comments were biased towards aluminium panniers because my riding is a combination of commuting and exploring.  When I explore I never plan and find a place to sleep always last minute and it's comforting to be able to leave my bike with the panniers locked.  

I have lived in the UK, the DRC, Gauteng and the Cape and see while on the way to the office daily how the criminals steal from motorists that are in a traffic hold ups through Bonteheuwel.  The criminals even slice open the canvas curtains of the trucks using box cutters.  

It seems that most of the people replying to this thread have not been exposed to or seen this type of crime for which I am thankful.  However, all things considered, for me the aluminium panniers offer a little more security and can be used as a make shift camp chair and/or table.

I suppose it's like the BMW/KTM discussion, folk have their own opinions and justifications why the one is better than the other and it usually drills down to the application and circumstances in which they will be used.
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline XTZFegen

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2016, 08:52:43 am »
Have to laugh. Innocent post about soft luggage and the dogs start climbing into each other about how kak BMW is, South African politics and how we over rate the crime situation in this country.

Ha ha ha
Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2016, 09:15:23 am »
I'll bite...!  :lamer:

Since we stock, and sell possibly one of the largest number of soft luggage brands in SA,(serious claim)  this thread PARTICULARLY interests me...

We have looked into importing MOSKO Moto soft luggage, but the costs of doing this are huge, for example, we recently imported ALTRider hemishphere into SA, since we already stock Giant Loop range,but the Hemisphere bags may be an improvement on Giant Loop, and we already consider GL as one of the best luggage systems around, Hemisphere system is easily removable, then It leaves behind the 'holsters', so if riding away from a fixed camp, you still have a (reduced) luggage capacity to utilize!
(one of the leads designers left GL to start up ALTRider, so same quality, innovative design, etc.)

So no zips, on ALTRider, which addresses XPAT's need for no zips, where I PARTLY agree.

All these USA-based manufacturers require minimum quantities to import as a retailer, so we tie up a fair bit of money in the next 'big' brand, and then along come two or three more!

I am a serious supporter of soft luggage over hard cases, but did meet a good number of overland travelers who fell on their way from Europe to Cape Town, yet still arrived with intact luggage, so I am not rabidly anti hard luggage, but soft luggage makes much more sense, I feel.

On zips: we have sold around 200+ Flying Brick System Bags, and say 100+ Adapta Brick bags, and never had a SINGLE zip failure, we HAVE had some strap failures when people have thrown the bike down the mountain, but not a zip failure. Ever.
That said, we use ONLY YKK zips, the global standard, and we use 13 of them on a single bag, a costly exercise, but at what cost a functioning zip!

Zips can be 'reversed', meaning we stich the zip into the bag so the zip faces INWARDS (a trick learnt from 4x4 soft-canopy makers!), making the zip much less prone to the effects of dirt/dust.

I am not a fan of copying an existing bag manufactur, but I guess a South African could do a local, 'improved' version, but if you go this route, expect to have some local manufacturers request a minimum of 40 sets; to get effective 'cut' of out a sheet of fabric, etc.

Whilst HARD parts that can attach to a bike arrive duty-free, soft luggage carries a 30% import duty, and that needs to be factored in, further driving up import prices, and giving further impetus to the reason for manufacturing locally, then considering exporting.

With Giant Loop and ALTRider retailing at around R6k, then importing and stocking MOSKO Moto bags, with certain minimum quantities becomes very expensive indeed.

But if we import another soft-luggage system, MOSKO will be high on our lists, and the Rand/Dollar has recently improved...

In conclusion, to manufacture soft luggage on a commercial scale in SA takes deep pockets, and a fair bit of planning to ensure it fits a LARGE number of VERY different dual sport bikes!

Cheers
Chris & Team

bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2016, 02:33:44 pm »
My 2c worth. The only positive for hard luggage is:  a) Ease of loading and unloading as they just clip into position and b) they provide a seat at the camp site. For every other reason its soft luggage all the way
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2016, 04:11:40 pm »
Its really like travelling with a backpack or a hardshell roller suitcase depends on the traveller and type of travel. 
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky: