Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Smiley culture - rim repair Malawi advice needed  (Read 692 times)

Offline shanti

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
Smiley culture - rim repair Malawi advice needed
« on: August 06, 2016, 08:51:08 pm »
Hi all . Managed to ding my rims on a pothole in the save - maxungue convoy in moz , wheels are turning and I am travelling north to Malawi . Does anyone know of any one in Malawi who would be capable of repairing a rim professionally ? Cheers and safe riding

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: Smiley culture - rim repair Malawi advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 08:44:56 am »
Hi, cannot help you, but subscribing for my future knowledge, and following your progress / trip  :sip:

Cheers!
Chris
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 02:39:57 pm »
Maybe this for some help as a temporary fix (see that you are rolling)? From the garage section :thumleft:

Kobus, how does your contraption remove the smiley?

:lol8: No contraption frankmac, and I was hoping no one would ask.  :eek7:

Disclaimer: This is an off road bike and I wouldn't do this with any of my dual sports.

I chatted with a very well known enduro champ of earlier years and he told me the guys removing smileys is taking a fat chance and often weakening the rim due to the stresses involved by bending the aluminum.  He advised me to not have it done and to just live with it.  Being a bit of a perfectionist I just can't live with it so I thought what the hell I'm going to try something.

Chatted to the guys at a known bike shop and were advised to moer it out with a rubber hammer.  Well, unless my arms are too thin, this is nearly impossible!

So I thought  :dink: : I have a bench vice.  Clamped it at an angle so that the good side is flat on the far side and the bad side, with the section sticking out, is centre to the vice.  Applied pressure slowly, let it stand, more pressure, let it stand and so forth.  

Result was very close to no more smiley.  :thumleft:

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 03:27:40 pm by VaalBaas »

I tried the rest and still stick with the best.  -   ROOIVLEIS
2006 Hp2 - 2006 Hp2 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C       

2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE   2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE   TW200 Project Bike

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 05:02:59 pm »
Thanks guys , going to take the enduro racing guys vasvice for now and leave it alone . What I have done in the interim is jam some double sided tape into the gap to stop sand getting in and causing problems . In Blantyre at the moment so will try honda Blantyre to see if I can get better advice on craftsmen in the area , bought a six dollar rubber Mallet in zim on the advice of another rider - ha ha no chance , anyone need a rubber Mallet ? It's waiting at the bar at doogles . For the record just what potential damage can this do ? The wheel seems to have ' rounded ' itself or maybe I am just used to it now , done +\- 1 000km so far , got a lot more to do . Cheers again and happy travels

Offline Fudge

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 05:35:21 pm »
Good to hear you are enjoying your trip in spite of this!  :thumleft:

What's the chances that one of the local bicycle shops/workshops/shade-tree workshops on your way might be able to assist? In other words, who would a local turn to in case of rim damage?

Other than that, and a long shot, maybe contact these guys for advice? They come up under a search for wheel and rim repairs.
A1 Tyre Centre
Lilongwe
Telephone:  +265 (0)1751061

Best of luck in getting sorted, and many happy and safe miles for you!  :ricky:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 05:36:37 pm by Fudge »
Honda XR125L
Honda XL600R
Honda XR600R
Yamaha TW200

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 06:26:03 pm »
Cheers fudge , checked out a few under the tree / side of the road repairers , the bikes here up north swem to be mostly steel rimmed Chinese jobs , I would have no hesitation taking a hammer to those rims , bit stumped by the Ali rims and correct fixing procedure , never had a smiley before but then again the old model klrs rims are made of adamantite . The bike runs fine , in fact I haven't come across any road smooth enough to notice the difference . Will keep plodding along , there are far too many distractions here to really get too concerned with it .I am keeping my tire pressure high which is interesting in the sand but I am adjusting quite good , especially after ponta . Will keep checking in incase there is a master plan ans write if I have success . While passing the many wood workers in the area I did have a thought to get the exact profile of the inner rim made up in wood and clamp and gently knock it back into shape using this former . I have also received a suggestion to get a sock filled with lead shot and use this to hit the rim back into shape - thanks dave and I actually wondered around mutare looking for a gun shop - ha ha . the journey continues , next stop fat monkeys and some serious hammock time .