Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Where are the Africa Twins?  (Read 7908 times)

Offline DirtyHarry

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • The journey will never end.
    • waveline holiday accommodation
Where are the Africa Twins?
« on: August 07, 2016, 10:14:57 am »
It's gone very quiet in regards with the Africa Twin. In true flash I have only seen one bike in the last 6 month.
Where are the bikes hiding?
Are the bikes living up to the exceptional reviews?

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Audere Est Facere
Re: Where are the Africa Twins?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 10:27:15 am »
To be honest o was thinking the same thing the other day. Think guys have bought into all the hype, seems very Road orientated to me and not what I would want on dirt roads. Lekker bike if you like the 1200 guys and use your bike mainly to get around daily on. Bit agree I haven't seen many in the roads.

Let's see what guys have to say who own them or have taken a serious look at one.
Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 10:47:03 am »
You have not seen them on the roads because they are all on gravel roads or in a bush or some remote location.
The bike is awesome and is truly living up to the expectation.
It eat's technical stuff for breakfast :thumleft:
Few pic's in Lesotho two weeks ago.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 10:49:34 am by Losper »
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline Herklaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 10:48:25 am »
 :sip: I have seen about 6, one at the Tankwa padstal, one at Viper Lounge, one stationary at Vliende Baksteen, and a few passing on the road over a period of about 2 or 3 months.
Ja, not really plentiful.
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.And, the latest 1989 Yamaha Super Tenere 750.

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 10:48:46 am »
That would be the colour I would choose.
Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline Herklaas

• Race Dog
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 10:51:30 am »
 :sip: Oh, make no mistake, I think it's a very good looking bike, I will not swop my Triumph for one, but I would like to have one as well.
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.And, the latest 1989 Yamaha Super Tenere 750.

Offline Herklaas

• Race Dog
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 10:53:03 am »
 :sip: Where did you take those pics, Losper.

Offline Losper

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 10:54:44 am »
Hi Herklaas, imagine a triangle between the airport, Malealea and Roma in Lesotho.
The most awesome adventure bike tracks in that area.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:08:31 am by Losper »
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline Herklaas

• Race Dog
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 10:59:34 am »
Hi Herklaas, imagine a triangle between the airport, Malealea and Roma in Lesotho.

:sip: Jeez, I thought it will be a bit closer to Slaapstad. Very nice anyway.

Offline Fransw

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 11:01:32 am »

Isn't it a bit on the heavy side?  (the bike)

Looks awesome though!

Offline Losper

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 11:08:03 am »
Looks awesome though!
Fransw,  I owned an 990 before the AT. The two bikes are about the same weight but the AT feels much much lighter and it handles like a much smaller bike. The centre of gravity is extremely low and that makes the handeling ( especially in technical stuff ) much much easier.

Offline Jakkals

• Grey hound
  • I never get lost, I only discover new roads
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 11:13:45 am »
Ek het ook al dieselfde gedink, great bike maar mens sien regtig min van hulle, ek dink nie die sales was so goed as wat almal gedink het dit gaan wees nie.
Remember that hapiness is a way of travel - not a destination.

Offline Fransw

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 11:20:16 am »
Looks awesome though!
Fransw,  I owned an 990 before the AT. The two bikes are about the same weight but the AT feels much much lighter and it handles like a much smaller bike. The centre of gravity is extremely low and that makes the handeling ( especially in technical stuff ) much much easier.

Interesting!... Thanks

Offline Herklaas

• Race Dog
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 11:23:37 am »
Ek het ook al dieselfde gedink, great bike maar mens sien regtig min van hulle, ek dink nie die sales was so goed as wat almal gedink het dit gaan wees nie.

:sip: Ek dink die prys het baie daarmee te doen.

Offline Jakkals

• Grey hound
  • I never get lost, I only discover new roads
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 11:41:57 am »

:sip: Ek dink die prys het baie daarmee te doen.

Dink ook so, prys is ietwat hoog vir wat jy kry, eintlik jammer want dit is 'n lekker fiets.
Remember that hapiness is a way of travel - not a destination.

Offline Fudge

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2016, 12:08:09 pm »
Looking at the raw data, it seems that Honda's biggest problem worldwide has been trying to meet demand for the bike, it would be interesting to look at the data in 12 months or so...

From Australia:
2016 Motorcycle Sales Figures – First Quarter
Motorcycle Sales up in first quarter 2016 (compared to first quarter 2015)

These numbers include strong growth in off road (3.7 per cent), road (2.8 per cent) and ATV (2.7 per cent) segments of the market.

Top Adventure Motorcycles by Sales Volume

1. Honda CRF1000 270
2. Suzuki DR650SE – 135 -28.9%
3. BMW G 650 GS – 129 +230.8%
4. Triumph Tiger 800XC – 99 +15.1%
5. BMW R 1200 GS Adventure – 92 +24.3%
6. BMW R 1200 GS – 88 -26.1%
7. Kawasaki KLR650 79 -33.1%
8. Honda CB500XA – 78
9. KTM 690 Enduro – 74 +5.7%
10. KTM 1190 Adventure R – 62 +47.6%

- Honda’s new Africa Twin shot straight to the top of the adventure category charts.

- BMW G 650 GS sales picked up markedly, more than triple the sales the model achieved in the same period last year. And is the third top selling adventure model between the Africa Twin and Suzuki’s DR650SE.

- If R 1200 GS and R 1200 GS Adventure numbers are combined then the big GS would be second only to the Africa Twin in the adventure category.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/2016-motorcycle-sales-figures-first-quarter/

In the UK,

Honda Tops Uk Sales Chart With Africa Twin

Honda’s new CRF1000L Africa Twin has exceeded the 400 sales mark, since arriving in dealerships in January.
The public appetite for the go-anywhere bike, with its 70% off-road bias, sees Honda more than double its market share in the adventure-sport sector. Having closed 2015 with a 17% market share, the impact of Africa Twin’s arrival now sees 35% of all adventure bike buyers choosing a new Honda.
http://www.bhpbikes.com/honda-tops-uk-sales-chart-africa-twin/

and

According to the Motor Cycle Industry Association, there were 115 new Africa Twins registered in January 2016. This makes the new Africa Twin the most registered bike in the Adventure Sport category, and also in the 651cc to 1000cc category. This time last year the NC750X was the most registered Adventure Sport bike (47), and the Yamaha MT-07 was the most registered 651cc to 1000cc bike (61). In 2014 the NC750X scooped both categories with 55 new registrations. For comparison, in the last three years the R1200GS Adventure routinely picks up about 50 registrations in January, and around 300 registrations in September (which is the big month for bike registrations in the year).

Adventure Sports bikes accounted for about 15% of new bike registrations (819) in January, with naked bikes (1244) and scooters (1507) being the most registered.
http://www.mcia.co.uk/

From France,

"Numbers from Honda France in January indicates that 393 CRF1000L have already been sold (registered) (170 of them being demo bikes for dealers).

204 manual, 189 DCT.

As a comparison, 236 1200GS were sold in January as well.
ww.moto-station.com/article106010-march-honda-d-marre-fort-avec-l-africa-twin.html

According to the Association des Constructeurs Européens de Motocycles (ACEM) the biggest motorcycle markets in Europe are Italy, Germany, France and Spain. France buys 50% more motorcycles than the UK (and 10 times more mopeds!), so even if you take the demonstrators out of only the French sales figures, comparatively the Africa Twin is selling like hot cakes on the southern side of the Channel.

From America,

In the USA, “anticipation from both dealers and consumers for the Africa Twin has been fantastic, with Edmunds noting that dealer orders exceeded production capacity for the inaugural 2016 model.

Unfortunately there has been a delay in production as well:

Earthquake near Honda plant delays Africa Twin production

The Honda Motor Co. motorcycle factory received “significant” damage as the result of the April earthquakes in Kumamoto Prefecture and is not expected to be fully operational until August. The earthquakes were centered about one mile from the factory…

Chuck Boderman, vice president of Powersports at American Honda Motor Co., and Lee Edmunds, manager of Motorcycle Marketing Communications at American Honda, spent time on the phone with me last week to provide an update to the industry.

“The biggest impact on our business was with the Africa Twin,” Edmunds said. “Fortunately and unfortunately, we were in the middle of production when the earthquake hit, so they were able to provide enough bikes for one per dealer, roughly. So we got an initial supply to dealers. And there’s been a lot of rumors that we’re canceling the rest of the orders. We’re not. We’re going to fill all the orders. They’re just going to be delivered later than we had originally planned. Once the factory is fully up and running, we anticipate that around the end of August or beginning of September, we’ll be able to fill the rest of the dealer orders. The dealers will get everything they ordered.”
Of course, anticipation from both dealers and consumers for the Africa Twin has been fantastic, with Edmunds noting that dealer orders exceeded production capacity for the inaugural 2016 model.

http://powersportsbusiness.com/columns/2016/06/17/earthquake-near-honda-plant-delays-africa-twin-production/

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 12:10:21 pm by Fudge »
Honda XR125L
Honda XL600R
Honda XR600R
Yamaha TW200

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2016, 02:02:33 pm »
Ja I thought I heard the factory was all but d moles he'd,but I had heard it was a fire.

Also only seen a handful ,all on the move. Would love to test ride one,but would like to test it off-road. Will see if One of the Honda dealers down here will give me a bike for a few hours during the week.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Briekmerk

• Previously CJ
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Durbanville
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2016, 06:08:31 pm »

Saw this oke last week near Tygervalley,  new Twin pt-shorts and kaalvoet.  :)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2016, 06:55:43 pm »
Kaalvoet on a DS bike? Now that is a first I have heard of. :thumleft: Wonder what the ATGATT brigade are going to say.... ;D
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Dux

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2016, 07:00:25 pm »

Saw this oke last week near Tygervalley,  new Twin pt-shorts and kaalvoet.  :)

Seen the guy around on another bike
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell