Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Question: Rear brake pads  (Read 2742 times)

Offline sheldyn

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • dictum meum pactum
Question: Rear brake pads
« on: August 10, 2016, 05:18:33 pm »
I just had my 10k service and they quoted me R1250 for rear brake pads with fitment.  Decided i'll do it myself.

Can you chaps recommend a brand and place to buy?  I'm in Edenvale...

Thanks!
Regards,

Sheldyn

Offline BLK

Re: Question: Rear brake pads
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 05:47:27 pm »
Buy from BMW Northside.Takes 5 min to install.Don't think you will save a fortune.

Offline sheldyn

• dictum meum pactum
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 06:03:15 pm »
Thanks,  are the brake pads from a place like Start line so inferior?  surely there must be decent product from somewhere other than BMW?  I am trying to avoid paying the BMW Premium  ;)
Regards,

Sheldyn

Offline AntVan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 07:27:57 pm »
My theory is that I only have 2 tires and 3 sets of brakes to keep me from dying. I've read of harder compounds damaging the disc. In the end, you need to decide where you save your money. Brakes and tires are not where I try to skimp. But I do install brakes myself. It helps to identify issues on the bike
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline TheBear

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 08:07:48 pm »
Get GoldFren from Startline in Edenvale.  About 20% of the price of those sold by the dealer.  They have been stopping me as effectively as BMW OEM pads since 2009.  They last basically as long as BMW OEM as well.

http://www.goldfren.com/goldfren-products/motorcycles/brake-pads.html
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:11:55 pm by TheBear »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline sheldyn

• dictum meum pactum
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 08:17:54 pm »
Get GoldFren from Startline in Edenvale.  About 20% of the price of those sold by the dealer.  They have been stopping me as effectively as BMW OEM pads since 2009.  They last basically as long as BMW OEM as well.

http://www.goldfren.com/goldfren-products/motorcycles/brake-pads.html

Thanks Bear,  that's just the kind of review I've been looking for!   :thumleft:
Regards,

Sheldyn

Offline plaky

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 11:42:23 am »
Donford wanted to charge me R3800 to replace the 3 sets of pads with labor, I got it done at Trac Mac for R1200 parts and labor. No brainer. They are really ripping the ring now with prices. These pads seem softer than the non LC as I got almost 30k km on the back and now only 17k km. My front I got around 25k km. My riding ahs been no different. My bike is out of warranty in a week so I will also service privately. There is a German dude in Plattekloof that my mate uses.

Offline sheldyn

• dictum meum pactum
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 12:23:40 pm »
to change the brake pads takes 2 minutes.  easy peasy.

I've now been recommended 3 very good brands.

SBS, EBC and Gold Fren

good reviews and used all over the world as an alternative to OEM.

Been quoted R569 for rear pads not installed.  BMW was R1200 installed.  so basically half the price and I get to enjoy some DIY  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 12:24:43 pm by sheldyn »
Regards,

Sheldyn

Offline plaky

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 04:47:19 pm »
to change the brake pads takes 2 minutes.  easy peasy.

I've now been recommended 3 very good brands.

SBS, EBC and Gold Fren

good reviews and used all over the world as an alternative to OEM.

Been quoted R569 for rear pads not installed.  BMW was R1200 installed.  so basically half the price and I get to enjoy some DIY  :thumleft:

That is high, I think I paid R420 installed per set of pads. Shop around some more or get someone to buy you some at Trac Mac and courier it to you, it will still work out cheaper.

Offline Clint_G

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 04:58:57 pm »
Donford wanted to charge me R3800 to replace the 3 sets of pads with labor, I got it done at Trac Mac for R1200 parts and labor. No brainer. They are really ripping the ring now with prices. These pads seem softer than the non LC as I got almost 30k km on the back and now only 17k km. My front I got around 25k km. My riding ahs been no different. My bike is out of warranty in a week so I will also service privately. There is a German dude in Plattekloof that my mate uses.

The faster wear could be because your disc is either thinner/rougher than before. Not necessarily the pads that are softer. Just something to consider.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 02:46:00 pm »

When buying pads you need to check their thickness.  Some are much thinner than others.  I can't remember the details, but as an example.  GS and R1 use same shape rear pads, but different thickness.  Sales dude out of stock, so he sells you R1 pads.  They fit and you are happy until you need to replace sooner than expected.

.#BRADICAL!

Offline plaky

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 01:20:53 pm »
Patsy at Trac Mac has a brake pad reference book that looks up the BMW model name and year and then find the code. The rear from what I understand are thinner than the front which can make sense as almost all the braking is done on the front wheel when pulling hand brake lever, yes I know it is a around 80/20 split with the back. I almost never use my foot back brake but sill get kak mileage on the back pads.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 07:35:03 pm »
Patsy at Trac Mac has a brake pad reference book that looks up the BMW model name and year and then find the code. The rear from what I understand are thinner than the front which can make sense as almost all the braking is done on the front wheel when pulling hand brake lever, yes I know it is a around 80/20 split with the back. I almost never use my foot back brake but sill get kak mileage on the back pads.

I didn't mean rear versus front.   I cannot remember the details, but SBS (I may remember the manufacturer wrong as well) makes rear pads.  They are identical, but one set is about 12mm and the other about 7mm.  This happens because the shape of pad works on more than one bike, but the one bike (in this case the GS) callipers opens wider and can accept thicker pads.  

I have had a situation where I wanted to buy two sets.  Needed to change both our 2009's rears prior to a long trip.  Went to one supplier and they  only had one set, so I bought it and went to another.  Bought a set there at half the price.  I foamed around the mouth all the way home because the first okes ripped me off.  At home I felt the one set was lighter than the others and saw the difference.  I think what some okes do, is they know about this and if they don't have stock will sell you the one that will work.

My current set of rears have reached 20 000km, which is a good 5000 better than I have ever done.  Goldfren.  No idea why the GS' chow rear brakes like they do.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 07:43:11 pm by TheBear »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline sheldyn

• dictum meum pactum
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 07:37:59 pm »

I didn't mean rear versus front.   I cannot remember the details, but SBS makes rear pads.  They are identical, but one set is about 12mm and the other about 7mm.  This happens because the shape of pad works on more than one bike, but the one bike (in this case the GS) callipers opens wider and can accept thicker pads. 

I have had a situation where I wanted to buy two sets.  Needed to change both our 2009's rears prior to a long trip.  Went to one supplier and they  only had one set, so I bought it and went to another.  Bought a set there at half the price.  I foamed around the mouth all the way home because the first okes ripped me off.  At home I felt the one set was lighter than the others and saw the difference.  I think what some okes do, is they know about this and if they don't have stock will sell you the one that will work.

Happened to me now, they only had the front pads and tried to convince me they were basically the same.  I insisted on the rears so they ordered them and I collected the next day.  the way I see it, there is good reason the one is for the rear and the other for the front otherwise it would be one size fits all.
Regards,

Sheldyn

Offline TheBear

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 07:44:14 pm »

I didn't mean rear versus front.   I cannot remember the details, but SBS makes rear pads.  They are identical, but one set is about 12mm and the other about 7mm.  This happens because the shape of pad works on more than one bike, but the one bike (in this case the GS) callipers opens wider and can accept thicker pads.  

I have had a situation where I wanted to buy two sets.  Needed to change both our 2009's rears prior to a long trip.  Went to one supplier and they  only had one set, so I bought it and went to another.  Bought a set there at half the price.  I foamed around the mouth all the way home because the first okes ripped me off.  At home I felt the one set was lighter than the others and saw the difference.  I think what some okes do, is they know about this and if they don't have stock will sell you the one that will work.

Happened to me now, they only had the front pads and tried to convince me they were basically the same.  I insisted on the rears so they ordered them and I collected the next day.  the way I see it, there is good reason the one is for the rear and the other for the front otherwise it would be one size fits all.

The fronts from a GS will never in a million years fit the rear of a GS.  Not even close.  They were pulling a fast one.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 07:50:20 pm by TheBear »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline plaky

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 03:27:58 pm »
I have seen and heard a lot of the guys that have LC's are complaining about the low mileage on brake pads. Some guys get like 6000km to the fronts, this is crazy. I commute to work every day so my braking is mainly low speed. I got much better km on my old 2009 GS.

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2016, 03:34:48 pm »
I can only complain about back. Had to replace 3 sets now in 29K km. Front never replaced till now

Offline AntVan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2016, 10:20:15 pm »
There should not be that much wear on the front? 6k? Nah. Something is off. 43k and only one set down at the front. The stealers are eager to replace sets at the rear, so I do it myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd