LSD + Irony + Kaapse draai = BIG GRIN

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zagser

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR600
From time to time I need to get out and away to just clear the mind and get focused on the road/life ahead.
I put in leave for the 8th of August, and with the 9th being a public holiday, I had 4 days for heading out on my trusty steed, exploring the roads less traveled out there.

I moved down to the Western Cape a few years ago, and fell absolutely in love with the Tankwa Karoo.
Even managed to convince the wife to spend our last December holiday in the Tankwa!  :deal:

My previous solo ride was just over two years ago, mainly through the Tankwa you can read about it here:
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=148099.0

So, naturally, when getting away from the hustle and the bustle I tend to wander in that general direction.

Day -1

So, this has to be a first!
It is Friday evening, before 20:00, and everything is ready and packed, must be all the anticipation and excitement having this effect on me.

Day1 (LSD, Cederberg Oasis)

No mind clearing weekend is complete without some LSD, and no, not the kind some of you are thinking about. I was contacted by my friend and long-time running partner, known as Marcal on wilddogs, on Friday evening. "How about a Long Slow Distance to get your weekend going?" I cannot think of any single reason why not!
So, at 07:00 on Saturday we started off on a club run that will take us over a route of about 19km.
You know, just to get the legs ready for all those hours in the seat, and to get stocked up on those feel-good endorphins.

Got home, showered, and then took to the road.
Destination: Cederberg Oasis, where I put down my name for participation in their world famous Saturday buffet.  :snorting:

My route for the day:

Left home in Strand, and on to Op die berg via Ceres where I would encounter the first gravel part for the weekend.

First stop: Bain's kloof pass. Check to make sure that everything is still there, and secured.

Seems that the area had some good rains, as there were water flowing everywhere.

Warning before the pass on the R303 before Citrusdal.

And the view from the top.

Water still flowing…

And some more views.

Turning right in Citrusdal, before crossing the Olifantsriver, I follow the dirt road to Clanwilliam, with the N7 on the other side of the river.

At this crossing you have a choice to either stay on the dirt (just keep on going straight), or as I did, cross over to the N7 for the last bit to Clanwilliam, where I planned to stop for fuel.

Right, then it is the last bit, off to Cederberg Oasis via the Algeria road.
Awesome…

The view from the top of Uitkyk pass.

And on the other side, down into the valley.

I arrived at Cederberg Oasis, and was actually delighted to hear that they still had one permanent tent left, upon which I promptly upgraded my reservation.
Right, tent pitched, bed made, now we can get ready to eat.  :pot:

And what a treat that was. Enough (great) food, an honesty bar to keep everyone happy (until they get the bill the next morning  >:D) and generally exceptional hospitality from Gerard and kie.

Day one, done and dusted. Let's get some shuteye.
(Or at least try)

Gear review:
The bad:
1. I have a newish pair of riding jeans, Spirit brand. Eish, those knee pads started to work into my knees after the first few hours. I guess you get what you pay for.
    My shopping list already has a pair of proper riding pants added now.

The good:
1. I used a Big Bag pannier bag bought from Flying Brick, absolutely love it. It sits nice and low on the pillion seat, and with the straps supplied I could fasten it so that there were virtually no movement.
2. Ear plugs. I have a set of custom molded ear plugs, had them for about 7 years now. I found that if you share a campsite with an overly eager female camper you need something to block out the piercing voices.  :bueller:
I slept like a rock!