just did a road trip up to vic falls....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mother

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
thanks to the scary snow and rain and my limited ability to transport my wife safely in mud.......decided last minute to cancel my GS trip through the middle of the country and go around the weather on my road bike

we still got caught in 200km of rain to Springbok

took us two weeks all in all but was a great ride and to hit the open roads again was just the place i like to be
trip took us to Namibia then Caprivi across into Zambia then down to Livingston to see the falls again and do a lekker booze cruise....then we made our way back via Botswana and family in Gauteng to Cape Town

must say the locals in Northern Namibia and Zambia and Botswana looked at us like aliens on our Farley......don't think they see too many in their neck of the woods
and dont think Harley want us to take their bikes into Zambia as the built in GPS didn't work there.....lucky i take maps with me when i do a ride....

things that may be of interest if you going or planning a trip:

we took Rands but in hind sight would have taken some kwacha for Zambia as well as Dollars and some Pula for Botswana

but we had enough rands we went to the bank in Livingstone and got enough of the currency we needed

must have 150 Pula for border fees to Botswana

all Namibia takes Rand one for one.... getting into the country fee cost R165
getting into Zambia cost equivalent to R700 worth of Kwacha and R160 worth of Dollars
petrol in Botswana can only be paid in Pula.....P7.54 per liter exchange rate around 1.35 to the pula
petrol in Zambia Kwacha or dollars 9.70 per litre or around 12.40 in rands.....exchange rate is around 1.30 rands to one kwatcha
make sure you can do 300km range on fuel
the road from katima mulilo into zambia sesheke to livingstone is totally f£$%& so will take you ages to get through the 135 km of 200km
must do the booze cruise....even though its a bit expensive....how often are you going to go there
take copy of bike papers no issues
people were friendly and helpful
be patient and friendly at border crossing the longest was getting into Botswana from kazungula ferry
70 kwacha for ferry crossing

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 1.36.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 1.36.10 PM.png
    266.3 KB · Views: 684