KLR not starting. Advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty Boy

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
So my trusty KLR has a little problem. I think its throwing a tantrum because a BMW 1150 GSA is now in the garage and getting some attention.

On Tuesday I rode the KLR 75km no problem. Wed morning, it fired up as usual and I rode to work. Wed evening I get on bike to leave work and the shit started.

It didn't catch the first fire. Next press of button it was dead. So weak the Neutral light wouldn't light up. Then it did light up but you could hear a weak click of the solenoid. Sounds like battery but I also noticed that the Ctek plug which has Red/Yellow/Green led's was still flashing green.
Jump started bike from a car and it runs fine however Neutral light is still weak, headlamp and taillamp were flickering. Got home no problem.

Took seat off last night and checked the 2 fuses. seems ok. Put the Ctek charger on overnight and this morning battery is fully charged. Hit the started button but still no joy , just a feint click of the solenoid.

Im thinking that the battery is ok, the fuses are ok but maybe under the tank, a harness rubbed through causing a short or something like that. Its a KLR, what else is there to go wrong ?

Your input please.