XRV 750 (RD07) - Fuel tap rebuild?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
My fuel petcock / tap seems to have given up the ghost. The fuel flows freely when in the "off" position - makes removing the tank from the bike quite a messy, potentially explosive, exercise (first hand experience in the messy part now!).

Add to this, I'm not sure if the "reserve position" functions properly anymore - worried that the tank can run dry with the tap in the normal "on" position.

Anyway.........unsurprisingly Honda doesn't provide rebuild kits (new seals etc etc have been available for every Kawa that I've owned). Even more unsurprisingly, Honda wants a kings ransom for a new tap - price on app, but the last one they sold here was about R1,600.00

The petcock itself is riveted together (ie can't dismantle it by unscrewing plates etc). So, my question is, has anyone drilled out the rivets and dismantled the petcock before? If so, do you know whether there are rebuild kits for any other brand of bike that is compatible - it is very likely that there would be, as there are only a few manufacturers that make these petcocks, so they would be spread over a couple of motorcycle brands.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.