Renoster Se Kop, Where? There!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Adventure MX

The Saturday afternoon went something like this:
Plottie: Give me a call, cause I am not sure if I am going to wake up after the wine tasting, if you want me to be on time!
A-MX: Ok, no problem!

So the next morning I want to give Plottie his wake up call and the phone promptly goes to voicemail. Typical!  Anyway, I get ready and then ride to our meeting point at the Engen Garage on the Cnr Hans Strydom & Lynnwood Rd.  Now usually Jagshond is on time and today he was also late, so I wait and wait and wait.  Eventually Jagshond arrives and 20 minutes later Plottie decides to pitch, claiming his â??B!tchâ? wouldnâ??t let him go! (Mmmmm, What is it with all this dog terminology?) :pot:

We make our way to Moloto and take the turn-off to Rust De Winter.  By this time Plottieâ??s little devil has been nagging him for a cup of coffee which he wasnâ??t going to get this morning anyway.  We took a leisurely cruise down the road for a couple of kâ??s and then turned off onto a farm road that you would miss if werenâ??t looking for it.

This road turned out to be quite interesting.  I have never seen one track have so many different types of riding terrain.  In many parts this track could be pretty interesting in the rainy season.  There were deep ruts worked into the turf areas which makes one think that when these parts get muddy then you would have to keep your wits about you to get through these sections.

ds29062008_1.jpg

ds29062008_2.jpg

We also had a couple of nice sandy sections, which would catch you off guard from time to time as you gained speed on a good smooth section.

The track had various speed humps down the length of it which made for some good jumps and getting a bit of airtime on those front wheels.  We took our first break a couple of kâ??s in and enjoyed the morning sunshine as it started to warm up.  At one point the fingers were no more due to the morning chill.

ds29062008_3.jpg

Further down the road we even had a river crossing, with a another one a couple of kâ??s further on.  The second one however was dry so it was just a matter of getting over some dry rocks in a riverbed.

ds29062008_4.jpg

ds29062008_5.jpg

We eventually got to the main road that leads to Siyabuswa and stopped at the Caltex Garage in Vaalbank.  We all had our regular coke, chips and a chocolate to keep the stomach happy seeing that breakfast was not on the cards so early in the morning.
From the Caltex we decided to travel along the banks of the Renosterkop Dam.  This is a beautiful trail that is relatively easy.

ds29062008_6.jpg

ds29062008_7.jpg

I suppose this works in your favour as one is to busy looking at your surroundings and the prolific birdlife that is evident next to the waters edge.  At certain stages you need to keep a watchful eye on your path as you could quickly find yourself caught in mud which would make for interesting times.
At one point you need to cross one of the rivers that feeds the dam. In order to do this we had to get through some very rocky terrain which provided an element of technical riding.  We found our way through with a couple of knocks on our bashplates but nothing to serious. 

ds29062008_8.jpg

ds29062008_9.jpg

ds29062008_10.jpg

Caught unaware of how technical it actually was we quickly built up a sweat in out kit, which called for a rest break and another photo moment.

ds29062008_11.jpg

Our aim was now to get to the Crossing Restaurant to enjoy a Zamalek or two with the thirst that we had just built up.  We have enjoyed a couple of drinks here in the past and this place seems to be pretty well stocked most of the time.

ds29062008_12.jpg

Two zamelekâ??s, a Redds, some chow for lunch and local music from the car wash next door gave us a relaxing mood of being in Africa and reminiscing over previous trips that we have done.

ds29062008_13.jpg

ds29062008_14.jpg

We had made arrangements with our families that we would be back by 14:00pm so that there would still be enough time for our braai.  We left the Crossing and headed back towards Kwa Machlangu.  As nature takes itâ??s course it was time for the regular â??Nou wil ek Zomma Lekâ?, it was time for a piss break.
Jagshond was dually caught in action but Plottie had mastered the art of walking round a bush a leaking at the same time.  And there were no wet spots eitherâ?¦â?¦â?¦.awesome!

ds29062008_15.jpg

ds29062008_16.jpg

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

We made it back to civilization with a couple of minutes to spare, I started the fire and the rest is history.  Whatâ??s better then a boma with a big fire, drinks and good food?

ds29062008_17.jpg

Welsh Salute!
ds29062008_18.jpg

How about that, not a bad way to end off the day! 

Date:29 June 2008
Distance: app 270km