Bought a 2nd-hand 990, now the seller does not want to supply the spare key...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Good morning Dogs...

Some advise needed please.

I have bought a 2012 KTM 990 Adv through a dealership. This dealership normally does not deal with 2nd-hand bikes, but they did the seller a favour by putting the bike on their floor and selling it to me.  So I bought the bike directly from the seller and the dealer facilitated the transaction, handling the registration and surely making a small amount for facilitating the deal.

The bike was at the dealer for a general service a week or so before this transaction, and the seller sent his driver at the time to bring the keys to the dealership, upon which the dealership informed the seller that it is the set of spare keys, and that they need to bring the original keys for the service.  Which the seller did, and he took back the spare keys and left the bike with the original keys.  Well he sent his driver to bring the keys back and forth, but he was fully aware of the different sets of keys in the discussion (in other word we have witnesses at the dealership that the spare keys are indeed available)

Then I bought the bike a few weeks later, and after collection the dealer assisted me by getting all the outstanding accessories like the pannier bracket bolts, service book and a bike cover, which was all included in the sale, but we did not get the spare keys.  The dealer tried their best to get this from the seller, phone calls, emails etc.

However, the seller is being unreasonable, not supplying proper reasons why he cannot supply the keys.  We think he might have lost the keys having used drivers from his business driving around with spare keys or something.  The dealer explained to him that he will then have to pay for a new set of keys to be made, at a cost of roughly R8k.  Eventually (a month later or so) he sent a mail to the dealer to say we must cancel the deal then and he is not prepared to either find the keys or take accountability for the R8k.

BUT...it is more than a month later, I have fitted aftermarket pipes already, and a new tyre, and I do not want to return the bike...why did I buy it then????  And it took us about a month of follow up with this guy to try and get the keys to eventually get this shit response from him.

What do I do??

thx