Weekends Riding: 28/29 June

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lito

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
Nothing spectacular to report, but just some picshas...  :mwink:

After not having done a ride for three hundred years, this weekend was earmarked for one thing alone -  :ricky:

Saturday 930 saw a nice bunch of us meeting at the Engen off Plattekloof road. Surprisingly, most of the crew were confused about this, but finally made it.

Interesting group - and mix of bikes - 1200 and 650 GS's, and 950 KTM's.  We went off to Winelands, where we met Booswig on his KLR, and off we went to the mountain..

It was Audreys first proper ride as a pillion, so I wanted to be nice and gentle with her.  :mwink:

We stopped off to admire the view - photos courtesy of everyone

9591.jpg

322848675_N6Bkz-L.jpg

These guys were territorial and there were two big troups of these buggers - much noise was made, and much movement was seen. Of course, they had to steal Booswigs Cappucino Muffin!  :deal: - which didnt go down well ... :dousing:

322847093_kUQQ8-L.jpg

Spot the bobbe jans

322849590_Gxg5q-L.jpg

Audrey was bundled in my gear, which made her look like Michelin Woman - what a view!

322850055_Qth9d-L.jpg

322850657_qoGrt-L.jpg

Spot the bobbejaan!

322851451_DDo6M-XL.jpg

We proceeded to the emergency tunnel, which gave us pause from the light rain and cold

322846206_Nu8MT-XL.jpg

322846152_V6nWY-XL.jpg

We headed back but just had to stop and check out the inner main tunnel

322846241_BDWQs-XL.jpg

Of course, unknown to us, we set all the freken alarms... :deal: - we checked out the cars, laughed, and felt like naughty schoolchildren. After playing "ride the footpath", I came back to find Sack thoroughly being kakked out by the Authorities....

Oops - my bad. We hadnt locked the doors closed and the alarms had gone off in the control room without ceasing... to say we wasnt da popular people, was an understatement. Marius, the complainant, was ok though - and made sense by asking that we come ask permission next time. Sir - yes sir!

We left, and it was a fairly tricky exit - and we had Wes and Booswig get stuck  - ably pushed out by Mrs Tuareg!  After that, Tuareg made a small error and went down.

322846286_Qq7da-L.jpg

Second time, he got it perfect, and we set off for the Paarl Pine Forests. Some nice roads,  and slipper pine needles later, we met up with two VERY wide eyed Honda CRF riders, but none was so wide eyed as the TW200 pilot who locked up and couldnt believe what he saw as we went around the corner  - what a sight  :imaposer:

Anyhow - we regrouped to BS a bit, eat something - and smell the beautiful pine needle scent..

9596.jpg

We rode off to the Paarl Mountain reservoir, where Wes and Sack ducked to go home to comittments. Thanks Sack for riding sweep!!!!!

We headed off to the Dros, where I found out what an amazing bunch of people we had there that day - picture this:

2 x Electrical Engineers (and Booswig gave horns to a stupid BMW vehicle owner rightfully so)
1 x Neurosurgeon
1 x Nurse
1 x Commercial Graphic Artist
1 x Moegoe

We said cheers, and went our seperate ways, and after refuelling (that damn SE is not known for frugality of fuel useage), I found Jamber on the highway trying to find his bar ends...

9597.jpg

After making sure he was ok - it was time to go home.

NEXT DAY

At 8am, I met Crazy Horse and WayneH at West Coast Village, to go for a recce ride into the Grabouw mountains.

We met up with the Motley Crew at Shell, Sir Lowrys, and carried onto to find our secret entry point  :deal:

After some riding, and NOT much picture taking, Giraffe decided to make an announcement: "We are going to have to talk to the farmer soon..."

"Huh?" (we were riding on farmers land quite a bit)

"Well - you Lito are buying farms wherever you go..... "

::) ::)

Lets say that clay is NOT conducive to grip with slick tyres - particularly around corners...  ::)

It was enough for me to shear off my bolt that safeguards my rear brake in the frame....  :xxbah: :eek7:

Ah well. Thats what maintenance is for.

Heres some pics

On top of the freken world! (Lots of air was had by this time)  :ricky:

322851723_XdoSz-L.jpg

322852019_9Ed38-L.jpg

So damn pretty!!!!!!!!!!

322852305_rp3g2-L.jpg

322852575_kyaPV-L.jpg

As I led (I had no idea of where I was going - just a general sense of where we were), I found this cool downhill - and we all made it down just fine

322859345_KPEUk-L.jpg

Crazy Horse - good skills there brother!

322859459_MNpCg-L.jpg

322859584_zwZxm-L.jpg

BIG SMILES

322859730_x8wHR-L.jpg

Then of course, it was time to go up!!! It was pretty steep, but the loose rocks are what it made pretty difficult. Add a fallen tree right in the middle, and you have good sports...

322858236_fh976-L.jpg

Go Bigger - cool style -

322857682_NeGpJ-L.jpg

322858418_qNNxp-L.jpg

322859992_3o5uy-L.jpg

and of course, what goes up must come down!!!

322857808_HsAc8-L.jpg

322857918_fHkfu-L.jpg

wheres the rodeo?

322858670_MBzXy-L.jpg

322860344_fvgWu-L.jpg

322858798_Hk3zz-L.jpg

and when making it perfectly to the bottom, get overbalanced on an inclined road, and make sure you fall over... ::)

322860584_Q8JPp-L.jpg

We rode some more, some more, and then some more. Bigger and WayneH had to go home to committments, and CH, Giraffe and myself continued to explore.

What a gas! I snared my right boot on some wire, which managed to rip my leg hard off to the right. For a split second I thought I had ripped my knee badly, and it clean took my breath away. After catching my wind, I was ok to ride again  :ricky:  The force was strong enough to rip off my steel caps from my Gaerne boots...  :eek:

We were running semi low on fuel, but were also tired.

322852808_7ePMT-L.jpg

322853701_CYLqj-L.jpg

We said goodbye to Giraffe at the road, and Crazy Horse and I went to explore Grabouw a bit (in the back roads, where I am suggesting a weekend away for families and riding on the edge of the lake - AWESOME BEAUTIFUL...

At 330pm, we said goodbye to each other

322851463_AQLsh-L.jpg

And then it was without doubt the best ride ever back to CTown - sitting at an almost constant 185, with the wind at my back. What a beautiful beautiful feeling - no strain or sweat at all - only thing that kept me from opening more post 200, was my smmoooovvveee TKC's which isnt good to keep at higher speeds like this for 30mins at a time. What an awesome ride home (for a change!)

Thanks guys and gals for a great weekends worth of ridng, and glad that no one got hurt, and had a good time to boot.

O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0