Sad, but time to hang up boots and find a loving home for my XT660z

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
I have made a bit of a hard decision, and that is that it is time to hang up my dual-sport helmet, boots and find a new home for my XTZ660.

The decision is a few years earlier than I had hoped, and I know there are a lot of toppies older than my 64 years who are still out there riding, but to be honest the flame of DS riding enthusiasm started to flicker after bypass surgery a couple of years ago. I have never quite got over the fear of popping the wires that hold my chest together if I take a tumble or try to lift the bike alone.

I must admit that I had hoped that the KZN bash would re-start the fires, and although I had a great time sweeping Tommy’s green route, and enjoying a great bash,  it was not quite enough to change the decision I had all but made before the Greytown trippie.

I only did about 500Km on the bike between ’15 and ’16 bashes, and that’s no good.

So my two wheel travel will be restricted to tar on my Kymco 300 scooter, and my weekend gravel trippies will be in my Soob Forester. I must admit I have enjoyed taking my harem of gorgeous ladies to many of the spots I discovered on my bike.

So my XTZ600 will be looking for a new rider. I don’t intend to advertise it in the buy/sell section of this forum – that board is for traders and hagglers and I am not in the mood to either trade or haggle over  a bike I see as an old friend. 

It is my hope that by word of mouth  I can see the bike in the hands of some young guy or guyess who is keen to get into the sport but may be a little tight on cash, and for someone who fits that mould I can be “reasonably lenient” in terms of payment amount and conditions.

I have no intention of selling the bike to a dealer or trader who will fix the few things that the bike needs with snot and sticky tape and sell it for double the price, so if you spend your time in the “Trade, Buy or Sell” board on this forum, and never visit the Ride Reports, Banter or Techy boards on this forum, then don’t call me, I’ll call you.

So I hope you guys can help me find that home. Shall we use this thread? 

I’ll be sad to see the bike go, but I will always have the memories, and will be available in the future as Rider Support Services.

= == = = = = = = = = =

A bit about the bike.

Pic in https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=185855.540 – reply #52
’09 – 35 000 Km – Only been used for recreation – never commuting.  Probably 35% on gravel.
Pretty standard. Only mods are:-
High front mudguard – old one was driven over by a bakkie in the Mkomazi Valley in about 2011.
Front rim and forks were replaced and tank fixed by insurance claim.  No other damage except to me !
Bar raisers,
barkbusters hand-guards.
Wide footpegs
New front TKC80 for KZN bash, Back one good for maybe a K or two more.
SW motech centre stand, bash plate and guards
SW Motech Trax top-box and panniers

Past issues.
Replaced battery (2nd one) and stator in ’15.
“Lost” gears 3 and up in ’15 – Dealer opened up and lubed gear linkage – no problem since then.

Current issues I know about
- Corrosion, I stay near beach, but I had bike “detailed” before KZN bash and seems most rust is just superficial. Had anti rust fogging.
- Some connections are oxidised and need attention – flickers and headlamp connections a bit dodgy.
- Plug that holds high beam headlight bulb needs replacing – melted a bit by bad connection. 

If I was to keep the bike I would do the following.
- Get all the wiring and connections checked by a sparky as a precaution – everything is working, but the sea air is nasty on wiring. 
- Replace the spokes. 
- Front springs are a bit soft – I think. Was always intending to get progressive springs