Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Aftermarket clutch plates  (Read 506 times)

Offline Nox

Aftermarket clutch plates
« on: August 20, 2016, 04:21:11 pm »
Where can I buy aftermarket clutch plates for my LC, BMW is too expensive and I wont change my opinion that this bike has a reall k@k clutch for technical riding!
To Live is Christ - To die is Gain... Fil: 1:21

2013 1200 GS - 2011 KTM 300 - current
2008 1200 GS 2007 XMoto
2006 Kawasaki KDX 200 - current bike 2012 Kawasaki KX 250 2008 Kawasaki ZX 14 2008 Kawasaki ZX 6 2004 BMW 1200 GS Suzuki GSXR 1000 K4 - stuntbike 1994 Honda Fireblade 900 rr - stuntbike 2006 ER6F - stuntbike 2006 Honda TRX 400 2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 Green 2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 Blue - written off 2006 Kawasaki Z 750 S 1984 BMW R100RS 1992 Yamaha DT 180 1988 Honda MTX 50 1985 Kawasaki

Offline lecap

Re: Aftermarket clutch plates
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 10:10:07 pm »
Different clutch plates (from another manufacturer) will likely not make any difference on a wet clutch.

You have two (easy) ways to change the way your clutch works & feels:

Change the mechanics of the clutch lever.

Change the mechanics of the clutch actuator.

The first option is what I would look into.

The second option as far as I remember is complex on your bike ('cause it's hydraulically actuated (?) )

The hydraulic actuation unfortunately is only a sales pitch they tell you never adjust blah blah and it fails just like a cable just more expensive to fix and less predictable :-(

Assuming that you have clutch lever travel to spare (from where your clutch disengaged fully to where the lever touches the handle bar grip) you could get check if you can get the slave cylinder machined out to a larger diameter & make a larger piston changing the hydraulic transmission ratio for better control & more feel.
I did the same as a mechanic mod recently on my KLR changing the length of the lifter into which the cable hooks. The clutch is now much easier to pull and instead of a mostly on - off feel I can feather the clutch sensibly.

First thing for you to do:
Find out if you can get an after market clutch lever. Fancy adjustable. Buy. Fit. Try. If that does not work well enough then explore the more expensive options.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline TheBear

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 01:58:36 pm »
Find out if you can get an after market clutch lever. Fancy adjustable. Buy. Fit. Try. If that does not work well enough then explore the more expensive options.

Interesting advice that slave cylinder machining.

THE LC already have a adjustable clutch lever.  4 Settings if memory serves.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline lecap

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 10:56:11 am »

Interesting advice that slave cylinder machining.

THE LC already have a adjustable clutch lever.  4 Settings if memory serves.

Unfortunately most OEM adjustable levers only adjust the reach not the mechanical transmission ratio. It kind of works on most bikes for people with small hands. You also get adjustable brake levers which don't really work in the short reach settings as you end up being able to pull the lever all the way against the grip (CB1100XX).

For the R1200GS LC I would they say as step one try all four settings of the lever and see if any one is working. Obviously depending on your fingers being long enough to manage the wide reach settings.
If that does not yield good results see what after market levers are available & see if any works better.

If that fails back to what I said before about modifying the hydraulics.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)