All in a day's work... (Gabriel's Pass & Doringrivier Crossing)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archangel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Friday morning, at around teatime, I decided that I wanted to go and find my namesake pass and see if it can be done on a bike. Some searches and phone calls revealed that it's only a hiking trail, but I wanted to see for myself.

After a quick twist of the rubber arm, my Dad (MellowJo) signed up as partner in crime. He had his own agenda, as he always wanted to cross the Doringrivier on the SOS Willehond and we'd be in the area anyways, sort off...  Well, in the same province at least. I was happy to oblige, as I've also wanted to "cross that bridge when we get there", but I had no clue of exactly where this was, nor did I research or plot routes of this particular area (or any other area for that matter), as the planning stages of this trip was non-existent.

The rough draft plan in my head was for me to ride from Cape Town on Friday night, sleep at their spot in Melkbos and then to leave early Saturday for our "half day, morning trip", ride to the Gabriel's Pass, cross the Doringriver and be back in time for the Springbok game at 5pm.

After packing the bike and getting everything ready on Friday night, it starting to rain in town! I wasn't about to get all my gear wet before the next day, so I called off the night ride and opted for an earlier start the next day. I sent messages of the new plans to Dadio, but the post doves took a slight detour.

Come Saturday morning, I was up early and ready to leave when our bloody cat didn't want to come in. After trying for about 20 minutes, I gave up and just left. He'll survive.

I pull out the driveway, and on my way down the road, the bike looses power and I realise that I'm running out of fuel. Jip, the fuel light doesn't work...  :mad:

Anyhow, it's downhill to the nearest garage, so I free down, fill up and zero my trip counter.

Finally I'm off...