Roof of Africa 1986 Program & details

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianhogg

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
Roof of Africa 1986 Program & details

Recently my daughter and her husband decided to move to Seattle. I had a very hard week with her sorting through her stuff deciding what would go with her and what would go to the tip. I have eventually finished that project although my eyes still leak unexpectedly at times.

The way that our comrades and masters are going I don’t think it will be that long before we join our son in Australia so I thought I might as well carry on with clearing out now that I had started.

One of the things I have found is this pretty well complete documentation from the 1986 Roof of Africa with competitors list, program, results and route.
At the time I was much more interested in getting myself to the start (and the finish) to worry about too much else but in retrospect a lot passed me by.

We all know Murray Watt won the 1985 Roof on a 125cc KTM but I didn’t realize he was back the following year and came in nowhere land.  I suspect the man with the dead KTM500mxc on Rampai’s pass that I gave a handful of jelly babies to before his walk back to the Kao mine checkpoint could easily have been Murray. Hylton Haywood, who I was to be friends with later on when he came down to do Natal WFO events, was also there but didn’t place(edit: got that wrong, he did). However, I’ve now realized that the guy on the shiny new red Honda XR RE that was snapping at my heels was in fact Hylton’s brother Grant. One of the things about being a dentist’s offspring is that you always have shiny new toys. Grant I knew later through sailing because he married one of South Africa’s best sailors, Belinda Classen, who was deeply involved in junior sailing.

The Roof program is quite fascinating. Quite interesting to see what Mike Egan thought was important, especially the sticky plasters on the nipples. I always thought he was a bit oversexed. Enjoy the read. I have put the link to my Google drive below:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1vdKsX95pPQY0ZjMlM3RmlZYkU