Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha WR450 or BMW G450X??  (Read 17158 times)

Offline Bus

• 'Tsek!!!
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
  • Fokken Main Moegoe
Re: Yamaha WR450 or BMW G450X??
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2016, 12:59:06 pm »
So, looking at a R35k-ish WR450, what should you expect? 08/09?
Maak soos Dr Phil sê: "Hou op om 'n do0s te wees..."

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2016, 01:20:40 pm »
The BMW made it onto the 10 worst dirt bikes I ever raced list for this famous bike tester.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/news/the-worst-bikes-i-ever-raced-by-jody-weisel

What he wrote is fooking funny  :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

A couple years ago I was hanging out at the track with the MXA gang when the Dirt Bike guys asked me if I’d like to ride the then-new BMW G450X. Although it wasn’t a motocross bike, I was still intrigued to throw a leg over this uniquely different machine — just to try it out and not to test it. It had a radically canted Taiwanese engine, a strange hanger-style frame and a swingarm pivot that was aligned with the countershaft sprocket. I’d learned long ago that creativity for creativity’s sake is never a good idea. I snicked the G450X into gear and roared off down the trail as the Dirt Bike guys turned and walked back to their truck, which was about 50 feet away. They were shocked when I showed up at their truck before they did. I climbed off of the BMW G450X, handed it back to them and said, “Thanks, but no thanks.”

“What’s wrong?” they asked.

“Everything,” I replied.

“But you couldn’t have ridden it more than 100 feet.”

“Actually, I rode it 200 feet. One hundred feet out and 100 feet back. I don’t need to ride it any farther. I’ve never ridden a bike that was so wrong, in so many ways, in such a short distance. Thanks anyway.”
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 01:42:31 pm by Rough Rider »
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2016, 01:27:23 pm »
Also my experience on the G450, designed by a company with no enduro background or knowledge, why would it work well if it were'nt for luck?

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2016, 01:44:23 pm »
I think the WR would be the less 'highly strung' bike, but cannot be sure...

What I DO know, it that in the States, SOME people are 'Adventurizing' the WR 450 (similar what I did to my G450X...), so it must have potential - i know one of my suppliers has recently launched an after-market, REAR-mounted CAMEL tank...

So I will watch this thread with interest, since I hear on USA Adv Rider, that it is becoming a popular 'mini Adv bike' etc
Cheers
Chris & Team

ok, just read your ORIGINAL post now, so that changes things a bit, but anyway!

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 02:11:07 pm by zebra - Flying Brick »
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S33°54.712 E018°28.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S33°54.712 E018°28.208

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2016, 01:51:24 pm »

What I DO know, it that in the States, SOME people are 'Adventurizing' the WR 450 (similar what I did to my G450X...), so it must have potential - i know one of my suppliers has recently launched an after-market, REAR-mounted CAMEL tank...

So I will watch this thread with interest, since I hear on USA Adv Rider, that it is becoming a popular 'mini Adv bike' etc
Cheers
Chris & Team

That is a WR250R with a big bore kit in it. It is a dual sport bike and has absolutely nothing in common with a WR450 apart from the colour. The tank will not fit any of the WRF bikes
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 01:52:27 pm by Rough Rider »

Offline KarooKid

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2016, 01:57:19 pm »
Ok. Let's say the budget is R45k.

What would you buy?

Buy at R35-R40k and spend some on it.

Buy a pristine one for R45?

This thread was meant to give me clarity. Instead it is opening up more options and things to think about.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2016, 02:26:59 pm »
I remember once reading a US test by a top rider stating the 450X was the worst of-froad bike he had ever ridden and that was just so much fundamentally wrong in the design.......... by rather from factories who know how to build real dirt bikes..... :thumleft:
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2016, 02:44:14 pm »

What would you buy?

This thread was meant to give me clarity. Instead it is opening up more options and things to think about.

If the budget is 45k then don't buy for more than 40 max

There will always be a few grand to spend on any bike - the roadworthy license registration and number plate is gonna cost R1000 alone

Maybe it needs a tyre or brake pads or service etc - now you're in for a few more
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2016, 02:46:23 pm »

What would you buy?

If the budget is 45k then don't buy for more than 40 max

There will always be a few grand to spend on any bike - the roadworthy license registration and number plate is gonna cost R1000 alone

Maybe it needs a tyre or brake pads or service etc - now you're in for a few more

I would look at everything in that price range and buy the neatest bike with the lowest hours, there is no such thing as a bad bike any more.

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2016, 02:49:05 pm »

Cheers
Chris & Team

That is a WR250R with a big bore kit in it. It is a dual sport bike and has absolutely nothing in common with a WR450 apart from the colour. The tank will not fit any of the WRF bikes
apologies - will try and find WR450 picture now...  ;)
Chris
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S33°54.712 E018°28.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S33°54.712 E018°28.208

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2016, 02:54:06 pm »

Cheers
Chris & Team

apologies - will try and find WR450 picture now...  ;)
Chris

Just be careful you don't import tanks for a bike that is not imported to SA; like the WR250R  :thumleft:

Offline spankme

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2016, 03:40:34 pm »
07 up looking at 30 plus
dont go on having proof of service etc etc
You can see when a bikes been looked after

Offline masehare

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2016, 05:11:03 pm »
WR250F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2hV5OZPle4

This guy is making sense, but I feel only for someone who's going to do technical trail riding for a couple of hours or taking part in a funduro. If I read between the lines about KarooKid's requirements, he'll be travelling some distance on tar to get to trail with some technical sections that will be difficult with a 1190/1200 class bike. I was in the same situation and did the postal route with a roadworthy CRF230. The bike handles great in sand and slow technical sections, but just lacks that 170cc worth of power to lift the front wheel over a pothole when you're in the wrong gear. So you constantly need to play with the gears to keep the motor on the boil just in case. I now have a roadworthy 400 which will do 100km of tar (at 110km/h) with ease and handle quite well (with my limited skill) in technical sections. It has plenty of power to lift the front wheel over potholes, even if you're in the wrong gear - which I feel makes for a more comfortable ride. That being said, I also feel that a 650 would be too much bike for me in these types of conditions. The 400 is the sweet spot for me.

The difference between a WR250F and CRF230 is like the difference between a 911 and a beetle. I would imagine that the power to weight ratio of the WR250F is also better than the DRZ400. Also the WR has a 6 speed gearbox.

The new reverse motor WR250's go like shit off a shovel, and are just as reliable as the WR450's.

After KarooKid made his requirements a bit more clearer, I would also go for the WR250.
Profile for wepenerc100

take me down to the Salt Lake City where there’s salt and lakes and the lakes are salty

Offline Hondsekierie

• Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2016, 06:49:31 pm »
Also my experience on the G450, designed by a company with no enduro background or knowledge, why would it work well if it were'nt for luck?

If it was that shit how did Peter manage to win the Amageza twice?  Pure luck I guess  :snorting:

“There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2016, 07:03:25 pm »

If it was that shit how did Peter manage to win the Amageza twice?  Pure luck I guess  :snorting:

That's the thing about navigation rally. Yes, his bike lasted the distance, but he was the most skillful navigator on those rallies. He made no errors, no wrong turns and no speeding infringements. It is probably also due to his careful nature that he brought his bike home in good condition. I think he'd probably have won on any of the competing bikes that was in reasonable condition.

Offline Geel Kat

Offline Hondsekierie

• Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2016, 07:25:36 pm »

That's the thing about navigation rally. Yes, his bike lasted the distance, but he was the most skillful navigator on those rallies. He made no errors, no wrong turns and no speeding infringements. It is probably also due to his careful nature that he brought his bike home in good condition. I think he'd probably have won on any of the competing bikes that was in reasonable condition.

I will never buy into this argument.  It's not like he had no choice and he REALLY rates the G450

Sbtw, how did Yamaha fare in the Amageza?

My last post on this topic as i have no interest in any of these 2 x bikes.  Will just follow for the entertainment value
“There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Offline SteveD

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2016, 09:27:52 pm »

Twice? By my memory:

2011 - Dewald Huisamen
2012 - Tau
2013 - Peter How
2014 - Hentie Hanekom
2015 - Thomas Eich

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2016, 09:58:15 pm »
Peter won one Amageza on the BMW G450X, and Tau won one on the WR450. :thumleft:

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2016, 12:58:17 am »
Calling all the experts out there.

Which of these would you choose if the price and condition was similar?

Let's go back to the original question

My answer Yamaha - only because it has a kickstart and the bmw kymco loncin does not

But then I must ask what do you want to do with the bike ?

If its just general putting around and not racing then almost any of the 450s made by the big boys in the last 8 - 10 years will be fine

Let's also assume that you have a max budget of R35 000 to spend on a toy like this - bikes like these are being advertised for anything from R25 000 - R40 000

Most important is condition and regular religious maintenance over the years - if this has not been done and cannot be proven then you are buying a potentially bottomless money pit

My order of preference

1. ktm 450 or 525 with RFS engine - because they have a 6 speed gearbox and overhead adjustable style tappets to set valve clearances - you don't have to take cams out to shim it - very important for my lazy ass
2. Husqvarna te450 or 510 - I had a te450 that is now with Crossed-Up - awesome bike - also has 6 speed gearbox
2. Yamaha wr450
3. bmw g450x - does not have a kickstart - riding a bike is much better than pushing it
4. Honda crf 450 - but you must look for one that has valves done
5. Kawasaki klx 450
6. Suzuki drz400 - bit of a donkey but reliable - no kickstart
7. Honda xr400r - ditto - kickstart only I think

Good explanation. Allow me to fine-tune a bit.

The short answer to WR450F or BMW 450x is, the Yamaha every time.

First, the 250 or bigger issue. While it's hard to have more fun than on a 250 4-stroke, the ONE thing that makes a 250 undesirable is the maintenance schedule. ALL 250 4-strokes. Fact is, it's a small engine that works hard. Your auntie google can tell you all about hourly maintenance intervals. I don't know if you're a pro racer, but a 250 requires more maintenance PERIOD.

Agree with maintenance history aspect. A bike that's had 4 previous owners is a BIG no-no. Try and find a one-owner bike that has been cared for. And don't EVER buy ANY bike from a racer, pro or not  :3some:

For trailriding or light dualsporting you REALLY need a 6-speed.

The KTM RFS engine is reliable as an anvil. A 2006-2008 KTM 450 or 525 XC-W (or whatever they designated it then) in good shape, is an outstanding machine.

I wouldn't touch a BMW 450 X with a barge pole. Strange experimental technology - if it was so great, why did NOBODY copy it, and why was it only made for what? 2 years?  Think SPARES. Not to mention, even when new it couldn't hold a candle to the real dirtbikes. Google "BMW 450 X reviews" and see for yourself.

Same with older Huskies. The 610's etc, before KTM bought the name. Good bikes, but too much of a chequered last two decades, with the brand going out of business, being sold, swapped, restarted etc. Again, think SPARES AVAILABILITY.

You can't go wrong with any 250 or 450 KTM, Yamaha or Honda - keeping in mind the 250 maintenance issue.

CRF 450's had a year or two with valve issues, avoid those years but generally speaking, excellent bikes. The 2008 model is considered the best of the line, the two or three years after that not so much.

Suzuki DRZ 400 is a nice reliable bike but takes big investment to make dirt-worthy. Excellent light dualsport, though.

Honda XR 400 is brilliant, but old school, if you don't know how to kickstart a big 4-stroke, stay away  :lol8:

Generally, stay away from KX's and KLX's. Engines not too bad but evertyhing else is shite. Also, KLX not made anymore.

The shortlist:
1) Honda, KTM, Yamaha
2) If you do get a 250, be aware you're going to k@k en betaal maintenance-wise.

I'm not familiar anymore with street-legal requirements in SA. If you REALLY need a plated bike, your choices would be limited by whatever that requires.

Generally speaking - if you can't maintain a dirt bike yourself - besides major engine rebuilds or suspension modification - you probably shouldn't own one.  All the whingeing about dealers that fecked you on your 450SX/YZ/CRF service baffles me.  
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:00:32 am by Whethefakawe »
You been using dogsh*t for toothpaste, Mullet?