Biker Lane Splitting Clowns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure
Trying to get my head around an experience I had yesterday driving through Pretoria on the N1 North.

I ride off-road and Dual Sport and odd commute to work and back, yesterday I collected my new off-road and found myself in the traffic on the N1 North in Pretoria just past where the N3 from JHB connects.

Look my trailer is wide as it accommodates 3 dual-sports, but there I am sitting in the fast lane going 5/kmh start stop in the traffic and what blows my mind is the bikes lane splitting between the fast and middle lane. I guess some guys were doing around 80/kmh at times and passing 6 inches away from my trailer and the car next to them, I suppose it is their lives at stake but it seems very negligent to me as they could hurt someone else in event of a collision.

Now that did not annoy me as much as the next clown on what looked like a silver duel-sport with a white helmet and all the kit like he was doing the Dakar, he was a little more careful but obviously someone in the middle lane had weaved and that put him off his line and he almost loaded himself in my trailer but fortunately he managed to avoid the collision. When he passed he gave me the death stare and shook his head, he obviously saw my bike on the trailer so I can only assume he knew I was a fellow biker that would never compromise the safety of another biker but he wanted me to know he did not approve. What a c*ck, where am I suppose to drive with my roadworthy legal car and trailer???

I dont drive in that area all that often but is this acceptable behaviour from bikers? I have has many a debate with non bikers regarding consideration for bikes on the road and their safety but this is exactly the opposite, I saw several cases of no consideration for the drivers of the vehicles and you could see these guys were commuters not hooligans. No wonder there is a negative perception against bikes created by the few morons.

My vent for the day  ;)