Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 640 Starter issue?  (Read 456 times)

Offline dukekzn

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Duke
640 Starter issue?
« on: September 04, 2016, 12:04:48 pm »
Went to start my bike this morning to be greeted with a grating metal sound when pressing the ignition. Rode the bike yesterday without any hint of an issue. To check start-up I kick-started the bike with no issues so my only assumption is that the starter motoring is playing up (starter clutch not engaging)? That said my mechanical knowledge is most definitely sub-par so advice from the mech-heads would be much appreciated.

Just to note: the battery is pretty much brand new so I cant suspect any foul-play there - even if it were drained surely it wouldn't make such a grinding/grating noise.

P.S I filmed it for reference sake, so please check out the below link to view.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm_0EXiw7Ao

Thoughts?
KTM 640 Adv

Offline Ruff

Re: 640 Starter issue?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 08:26:48 am »
There are two common problems that I know of re. starter(and experienced both). Firstly, if you often start the bike with a weak battery, the starter clutch gets buggered. Basically with a weak battery the motor doesn't deliver enough torque to engage the clutch properly so it slips and eventually fails.

Secondly, and much worse, the intermediate starter gear loses teeth. Happened to mine after only 10k on the clock. Check out the thread below, it's a good example.

Either way you should not ride the bike until it is sorted, because both can cause metal filings or chips to end up in the stator and cause damage.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ktm-640-adv-hard-to-start-but-then-runs-well.797238/

Offline dukekzn

• Duke
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 12:29:54 pm »
Many thanks for the response Ruff and the very useful link! Time to send it into to the dealer for repairs....hopefully won't break the bank!!
Thanks again!
KTM 640 Adv

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 12:36:17 pm »
Time to send it into to the dealer for repairs....hopefully won't break the bank!!

Brace yourself.........  ::)
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv

Offline dukekzn

• Duke
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 12:43:57 pm »
Eish!! ::)
KTM 640 Adv