Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My Honda Tornado XR250  (Read 29230 times)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • View Profile
Re: My Honda Tornado XR250
« Reply #380 on: February 09, 2018, 09:01:43 am »
It looks okay. As long as you don't intend to carry heavy stuff. Nice design.

At what mileage did you buy the bike Willie? And whats it at now?
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Namakwalander

• Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 09, 2018, 09:12:36 am »
It looks okay. As long as you don't intend to carry heavy stuff. Nice design.

At what mileage did you buy the bike Willie? And whats it at now?

Only intend about 6kg max per pannier rack. Other stuff will be in soft luggage on my back or strapped to the seat.

Bought in August 2016 on about 28 900km. Currently on 32 100km and about 90% of the difference has been on tar while commuting  :peepwall:

Offline blauth

« Reply #382 on: February 09, 2018, 09:24:54 am »
Willie, see if you can brace it to the centre part of the rear subframe somehow to prevent it from moving inwards.

I'm still riding my Tornado daily. I fitted a set of new TW302's. These tyres are probably about 50/50 dirt/road even though that have a block pattern and I've found them to be very good and stable on the road, especially after the first 500km.  I got my Tornado at the beginning of September last year with 5000km. Mine is not on 12700km, so roughly 1500km per month. This is a really cheap and reliable bike to ride. It just doesn't seem to eat parts and tyres. Fuel consumption could be a little better though.

I've been threatening to put the 14 tooth sprocket on the front (44 on back) for months and finally put it on. It's much more mellow at top and now and I can hardly feel any difference in acceleration, in fact I think it may even be better.

My jetting is still not ideal but I'd need to send it to an expert who has a proper dyno machine with an O2 sensor that works to sort it out.

I have to say, these CRF250 Rally's are still scarce on the road. Just way too expensive I guess.

Offline PHILIPKUHN

• Maak a stoffie!!
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 09, 2018, 10:01:55 am »
Ek sou net a carrier agter op fit en a softbag maak. (Jy kan mos)
Groete
Philip Kuhn
tel: 0824155625
Email: philipskuhn@gmail.com

Offline PHILIPKUHN

• Maak a stoffie!!
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 09, 2018, 10:03:39 am »
Of as jy rerig iets wil bou. Kyk die beesigheid.
Ek like dit.
Groete
Philip Kuhn
tel: 0824155625
Email: philipskuhn@gmail.com

Offline Namakwalander

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 09, 2018, 12:41:09 pm »
I had some time...

Modelled with 16mm x 1.6 mm square tube with 5mm thick flat bar sections where it needs to bolt onto stuff.

The top part where it will hang on the grab handle will be fixed to the bike with u-bolts.

What do you guys think?

Edit: Paint version added for reference
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:42:53 pm by Namakwalander »

Offline Namakwalander

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 13, 2018, 02:59:47 pm »
And so this past weekend it happened.... I had my first off

Luckily the bike is still OK, just the owner that is still stiff and bruised.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 09:41:46 am by Namakwalander »

Offline sidetrack

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Beware the 250 roost !
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 13, 2018, 03:24:47 pm »
And so this past weekend it happened.... I had my first off

Luckily the bike is still OK, just the owners that is still stiff and bruised.
Where did you ride ? Two types of bikers, those who have crashed and those who are going to crash  :deal:
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline blauth

« Reply #388 on: February 13, 2018, 04:31:54 pm »
Congratulations....you bought your first piece of land. Good thing everything (your personal bits) is still functional if not a slightly different colour.

Offline Namakwalander

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 13, 2018, 05:23:36 pm »
Where did you ride ? Two types of bikers, those who have crashed and those who are going to crash  :deal:

Skurweberg and surrounds, as usual. And yes, it was probably about to happen some time. m0lt3n says a fall without serious injury or damge to your bike, is n learning experience.

Congratulations....you bought your first piece of land. Good thing everything (your personal bits) is still functional if not a slightly different colour.

I am not an average sized person. I made n proper crater with that fall  :lol8:

Offline NoRush

« Reply #390 on: February 13, 2018, 08:04:20 pm »
Very nice Spot bracket there Namakwalander. Thanks for sharing. The wooden centre stand just great. My wife has a little XR150 and very keen to do her own work. Think thats a perfect solution.  :thumleft:

Offline Namakwalander

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 13, 2018, 08:53:12 pm »
Very nice Spot bracket there Namakwalander. Thanks for sharing. The wooden centre stand just great. My wife has a little XR150 and very keen to do her own work. Think thats a perfect solution.  :thumleft:

That piece of crap wood stand works like a charm  :thumleft:

Offline blauth

« Reply #392 on: February 16, 2018, 08:08:39 am »
Hey Namakwa.... I thought you'd be interested...you know I've been wining about my jetting.

Well, since there has been an XR250 Tornado development. Despite my XR running "better" with the 128 jet, it was still suffering from a mid range splutter at half throttle and just didn't feel quite right. I bought the bike with an FMF pipe fitted so you can clearly see down the spout. After opening my gate the other day, I noticed something in the end can. Turns out, there's been a piece of the header which must have been trimmed to fit the FMF pipe stuck in the baffle. It's burned and decayed over time, enough to loosen enough to blow to the back section of the silencer. After pulling the obstruction out of the pipe it's 1000%  smoother with no spluttering at all anymore. Fuel consumption has come down and power has gone up.

I would never have found this problem on my own......thank goodness the little XR's immune system sorted itself out.    ;D

We still need to organize a trip to my old man's spot. We'll title it:     'Less is More....True Adventure'

Offline Namakwalander

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 16, 2018, 08:16:56 am »
Hey Namakwa.... I thought you'd be interested...you know I've been wining about my jetting.

Well, since there has been an XR250 Tornado development. Despite my XR running "better" with the 128 jet, it was still suffering from a mid range splutter at half throttle and just didn't feel quite right. I bought the bike with an FMF pipe fitted so you can clearly see down the spout. After opening my gate the other day, I noticed something in the end can. Turns out, there's been a piece of the header which must have been trimmed to fit the FMF pipe stuck in the baffle. It's burned and decayed over time, enough to loosen enough to blow to the back section of the silencer. After pulling the obstruction out of the pipe it's 1000%  smoother with no spluttering at all anymore. Fuel consumption has come down and power has gone up.

I would never have found this problem on my own......thank goodness the little XR's immune system sorted itself out.    ;D

We still need to organize a trip to my old man's spot. We'll title it:     'Less is More....True Adventure'

Hey Blauth, that is good news. Glad your issues are sorted on your Tornado.

I am still a bit slow on gravel and still playing with tyre pressures to see what works better, but we definitely should do that trip at some point.

Offline blauth

« Reply #394 on: February 16, 2018, 08:23:02 am »
I commute on my bike so I run my tyre pressures reasonably hard. I find what works well for me is 1.6 bar, front and back.

Offline Namakwalander

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 19, 2018, 09:22:10 am »
Good morning

Cleaned my bike in anticipation of some maintenance.

First up, I wanted to remove the bottom of the fuel tap which also houses a little screen (not really a filter). I saw in a video that it could just be wiggled loose, but the screen in mine stayed stuck and I did not want to break it. There was however some dirt in the little bowl that bolt off the bottom of the tap. I rinsed out the bowl with some carb cleaner and also sprayed some carb cleaner into the tap section. Then filled the bowl with carb cleaner and put it back on. I opened the fuel tap while idling the bike for a while to circulate the carb cleaner through the carb. Then closed the fuel tap and let it idle some more. Ideally I should have taken it for a spin around the block but some recent dental surgery is making it quite painful to put on a helmet.

At some point I should also take out the carb to properly clean it as I guess there could also be some dirt in there as well.

Offline Namakwalander

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 19, 2018, 09:27:31 am »
Last weekend when I fell off the bike the mirrors came loose and I had to drive with flappy mirrors until I could get to a better spot to tighten them again. Initially I did not tighten the mirrors that much in anticipation of them catching somewhere or that they might hit something in the event of a fall. So that "planning" worked.

Anyway, I lost my sense of humor when I saw the state in which the standard tool bag is when I took it out to get a spanner. I had a few minutes this weekend to address this issue, but my (wife's) sewing machine is not really playing along. At least the new tool bag is in one piece and will do the job.

Offline blauth

« Reply #397 on: February 19, 2018, 11:34:51 am »
And that still fits into that little tool box?

I'm always fighting with trying to put the tools back into that little box......it's so small.

Offline Namakwalander

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 19, 2018, 12:52:45 pm »
And that still fits into that little tool box?

I'm always fighting with trying to put the tools back into that little box......it's so small.

It's a honey moon fit, but it fits.

You can try to put the two screw driver tools in the sparkplug tube. That worked for me.

Offline Namakwalander

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 07, 2018, 10:12:02 am »
Hi guys.

Right after my off I had to undergo some dental surgery (not related) and I was put on some strong meds. However, just after the off and right up to going into theatre I had some serious pain in my chest when coughing, sneezing or lying/sitting in a certain matter. Then after the surgery and being under the constant influence of pain medication I forgot about the chest pain. Until the meds wore off... But I think it might just have been a cracked rib or something. Luckily that healed by itself. So with the above and the constant rain (for which we should be thankful) I have not been riding a lot lately.

Saturday I put my bike on the stand to check the chain and wheel spokes. I checked spokes by tapping them with a small spanner. A few of them sounded quite dull and I had to tighten a few.

I also went for a spin on tar just to not have the bike stand for so long. I am not too confident in riding dirt/gravel anymore with the current tyres, but should probably just deflate them some more.