Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My first US ride report  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
Re: My first US ride report
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 10:00:30 pm »
Really looking forward to more of your RR's.

Thanks for showing a diffirent view on the states than what we see in the papers and news.

Offline Matroos (aka JJred)

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 10:27:58 pm »
Nice one!! As mark said, a diiferant perspective on the ole US.

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 03:36:06 am »
Well done Zonk, good to see you back in the saddle.
You shouldv'e shown that shop dude your RR's on the WD forum, he would have taken you seriously. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hi Kurt, ye , I was shocked when he told me that it is not strange to get a 3 year old bike trade-in with only 3000 miles on it. Understand that it is just the Day weekend ride for some oaks. It seems. And there are so little bars in between and drinking and riding is out. So no real insentive to ride and kuier along the way. not that i am saying drinking is the only reason, but rather the "kuier" in between. that that is what i think. I will however ask some riders why this is the case.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 02:37:11 pm by Zonkelnut »
100001 110010 1101010

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 06:05:15 am »
thanks for that RR ZonkĀ“s, its always interesting to see new places and different perspectives. That bridge looks like something out of Bridges of Madison County - Clint Eastwood.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline keithk

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 07:21:24 am »
Hey Zonk thanks for the RR , looks like there are many places around your part's still to ride enjoy ! Like the new  scoot , think you need knobbies though  ;D
ROUTE DIFFICULTY:1 = tar
2 = good gravel /pillion friendly
3 = interspersed with sand, mud, sand , bush / not pillion friendly
4 = lots of sand, technical riding
5 = expert only (we are not worthy, still to meet one)

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 07:50:22 am »
Excellent exceeletn

as i was looking at hte pics an myrtle beach i skeemed i hope he went to the KISS choffeeshop .... did you go in?

amazing place ....

but then i am/was a huge fan of Kiss
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2008, 08:05:28 am »
Hey Zonk

Thanks for the RR... You should take a tent with next time so you can pitch it outside the bar and have a good few so you don't have to drink and drive hehehehe :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Nice to see you on two wheels again.

About the long hair. Get it cut soon man the grey is showing through too much and only Harley riders have long grey hair  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
KTM 1190 ADV R

dustsucker

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2008, 08:10:58 am »
shweet report couzzin....looking at that police car and chickens on the ponies makes it feel like i am watching a Yanky movie. More piekkies in future will do nicely.

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2008, 02:44:10 pm »
Hey Zonk

Thanks for the RR... You should take a tent with next time so you can pitch it outside the bar and have a good few so you don't have to drink and drive hehehehe :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Nice to see you on two wheels again.

About the long hair. Get it cut soon man the grey is showing through too much and only Harley riders have long grey hair  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

What grey hair? Your arse man. I am getting younger ever day. thanks for the support a while back Fun. But I am going for gold now with this midlife crisses thing. Ear studs and all.

shweet report couzzin....looking at that police car and chickens on the ponies makes it feel like i am watching a Yanky movie. More piekkies in future will do nicely.

Ja, I did take very little pic'ies this round. But the travel goes so slow (45 miles/hour on 720Miles trip only tar). It is very slow going in some places. Highways better, but small town roads very very slow. even got a 20 ml/h limit in one town. I don't wanna loose my license now so I listen.

"chickens on the ponies", well, there were some Hot Wings on some of those horses and next to the road. If it was not for the police, there would have been some serious tasty marinated breasts, chicken breasts that is  ;), photos
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 02:49:06 pm by Zonkelnut »
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2008, 03:08:43 pm »
Lo Zonk

Great having you back on two wheels and posting RR's. So shebeen runs is not good in the US? Shame man must be difficult for you. :biggrin:
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 03:22:29 pm »
Are the police really that harsh and visable in the states? It must be so frastrating when you see a stretch of twisties ahead and know you can't scratch the pegs through it. :(

Offline Beagle Boy

• Big Time Beagle (167-671)
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2008, 03:42:59 pm »
Nice Ride report there, always great seeing other countries.

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2008, 04:46:01 pm »
Lo Zonk

Great having you back on two wheels and posting RR's. So shebeen runs is not good in the US? Shame man must be difficult for you. :biggrin:

Yes, it is not pretty. Very hard without the shabeens. It is like having sex without a orgasm.  ;)

Are the police really that harsh and visable in the states? It must be so frastrating when you see a stretch of twisties ahead and know you can't scratch the pegs through it. :(

Hi Mark. Yes they are visable but there were stretches where I did not see any police. But currently I have to stay clear as I need to work on my insurance rating. In NC they see me having the same car and license experience as a 16 year old that just received his license. They do not take in account all my years of experience in SA. Nothing. So the insurance is moer high. After a year it drops (taking in account no tickets) and after 3 my rates are normal.
So I take it easy and will save lots of money in the longrun. Try to find out what is your insurance when you are 18 in SA compared with someone without any claims after 21 years. it is a huge difference, same here. I only could affort Liability and nothing else. So in a accident the other person will be paid by I get nothing. Like only having 3rd party insurance. It sucks.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2008, 05:17:39 pm »
Well done Zonk, good to see you back in the saddle.
You shouldv'e shown that shop dude your RR's on the WD forum, he would have taken you seriously. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hi Kurt, ye , I was shocked when he told me that it is not strange to get a 3 year old bike trade-in with only 3000 miles on it. Understand that it is just the Day weekend ride for some oaks. It seems. And there are so little bars in between and drinking and riding is out. So no real insentive to ride and kuier along the way. not that i am saying drinking is the only reason, but rather the "kuier" in between. that that is what i think. I will however ask some riders why this is the case.

Goes to show.....Yanks are WOESES!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
3000 miles in 3 years??
In Sa you buy a bike on Friday, book a service appointment for Monday and the guy takes you seriously....the way it should be. 8) ;D Unless you buy a Harley..... :pot:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2008, 06:31:19 pm »

That's prolly why they all ride cruisers.

Offline DaCat

• Bike: Piaggio (all models)
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2008, 09:57:09 pm »
ZN, nice to see you enjoying the place. Thanks for the head's up on the coffee joint, I will make a plan to visit it when I make it over there one of these days  8)

KISS Rocks :headbang:

When in doubt, Gas It! It may not solve the problem, but it WILL end the suspense! 

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2008, 04:41:09 am »

Hi Mark. Yes they are visable but there were stretches where I did not see any police. But currently I have to stay clear as I need to work on my insurance rating. In NC they see me having the same car and license experience as a 16 year old that just received his license. They do not take in account all my years of experience in SA. Nothing. So the insurance is moer high. After a year it drops (taking in account no tickets) and after 3 my rates are normal.
So I take it easy and will save lots of money in the longrun. Try to find out what is your insurance when you are 18 in SA compared with someone without any claims after 21 years. it is a huge difference, same here. I only could affort Liability and nothing else. So in a accident the other person will be paid by I get nothing. Like only having 3rd party insurance. It sucks.

Understandable but just plan nasty aswell

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2008, 09:46:53 am »
What struck me about your photos was how clean organised & sanitised it all is.  Then you found a ratty bar & felt right at home.  How about making that your mission over there -  finding all the Yank shabeens?  Somehow I believe you would enjoy the quest.  I would be interested in seeing photos of them - those franchise eating parlours in this report are horrifying; show us the antidote that you felt so at home in.

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2008, 10:18:29 am »
ZN, nice to see you enjoying the place. Thanks for the head's up on the coffee joint, I will make a plan to visit it when I make it over there one of these days  8)

KISS Rocks :headbang:

This is the location of the joint (N33 43.163 W78 52.907). It really ROCKS!!! Next to it there is a Rcok shop that sells 'memrobelia' and hard rock music. The Who, Black Sabbath, etc. I have to say i was in there way to long. The vibe is amazing.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2008, 10:32:38 am »
What struck me about your photos was how clean organised & sanitised it all is.  Then you found a ratty bar & felt right at home.  How about making that your mission over there -  finding all the Yank shabeens?  Somehow I believe you would enjoy the quest.  I would be interested in seeing photos of them - those franchise eating parlours in this report are horrifying; show us the antidote that you felt so at home in.

Not a bad idea. I will then post it on my website www.nomadrace.com. No, I only got the URL so no content yet. But I will now take the responsability to do that. For me that is the true America. Not the fancy places, but the biker bars, truck stops, etc. Where the reall American worker hangs out.

So ok. I will do.
100001 110010 1101010