Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: So what is Peru like? - Revisited in 2013  (Read 5301 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
So what is Peru like? - Revisited in 2013
« on: July 03, 2008, 10:53:58 pm »
Seeing as photobucket stopped working for me I thought I would update this post with fresh pictures.

*I was asked to do a bit of a show &  tell on Peru because many of you have never been there but would love to go; and

*This plan of working here was somewhat driven by the idea that Peru would be good base to spend a few years biking South America from

I figured I would write a taster of what is to come, and perhaps a couple of words of advice for those wishing to come out here sometime. So forgive me for the lack of biking stuff at the moment, but I promise it will get better in time to come. So here goes:

Peru is a bikers paradise so long as you donīt spend too much time in Lima. You think the traffic is bad in South Africa? Forget it. Put it this way - The average cage driver in Lima would be killed by roadrage within 10 minutes in Jozie. Iīll never have a problem with taxis in SA again. The traffic here is terrible, not only are the roads totally overcrowded but people like to turn left accross four lanes of traffic without indicating. Its got to be seen to be believed.

Lima is on the coast, and is very similar to Johberg actually, nice areas that would put Sandton to shame, surrounded by poorer areas with not much of a middle class.

If you dont have so much money, you can always live in Communist blocks ;D

The local golf course is excellent, but it costs $30,000 to join so that the cheap people canīt get in. A 250m apartment will set you back between $100-600k depending on your taste, but transport and food here is relatively cheap. We got a house for $450k, interest rate only 8%, fixed for 10yrs in 2007, I have been told its value is up by 30% since then:

Some other houses, nice spanish influence:

These guys pride themselves on their entrances:

The food...ahh the food, its excellent, and the choice of resturants & cuisine here is unparalled.  This was our first taste of a peruvian raw fish dish: "ceviche" which I think is very nice, its serve with lemon jouice squeezed over and some chilli. Daleen hates it ;D

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:53:18 am by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
Re: So what is Peru like?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 11:11:24 pm »
The weather in Lima at this time of year is like Swakokpmund, only its a fog with a lot more smoke in it.

You wont see the sun between May and November and this is the same time of year, the mountains have beautiful blue skies. This photo is taken from one of the mine entrances where I work. Its at 4,600m above sea level.

Well most of the time. Up there the rest of the time, its freezing rain, snow, light polystyrene like hail and sleet.

Looks like lesotho, except this is 5,000m up  :eek7:

Llamas (Pronounced Yamas), actually these are Alpacaīs

Mountain farmhouse

The roads into the mountains are pretty awesome, as is the famous railway line built in 1901. This is the same railwayway you see in that Tintin comic, Prisoners of the Sun.

The beaches are about an hour to the south of Lima and in the summer there is a migration of perhaps a third of Limas population of 8 million to these beaches, not ulike the annual CT & durb migration back home. Further to the south you get beaches to yourself. In this photo you can see rocks on the beach that have fallen from the cliffs after that earthquake measuring 8.1 back in 2007.

Here is a red beach if you want a change.

There used to be an arch like in the Eastern cape (only bigger) which collapsed in that earthquake. This is what is left.

There is an awesome desert running along the coast.  :drif:  I plan to do a "lewensgevaarlike" RR with Mrs BB here in the next couple of months.  :mwink: Just got to get her used to sand

Being South Africans, we love lewensgevaarlik. Here is a fellow bluebull supporter taking a chance on a piece of rock that did not fall 100m into the sea below in the earthquake. Pissies will never be heros  :biggrin:

Im a mountain type person so thats where I prefer to go. It helps that my job involves travelling to mines at high altitude away from people. Ive done a few RRīs but here are some more general pics.

Bike herding dog ;D

Village Square (plaza las armas)

Mountain market day
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 05:53:58 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 11:38:08 pm »
Im battling to embed the pics properly in the text, sorry. <fixed, thanks!>

Here are some pics of the road to Cerro de Pasco, one of the mines where I work used to work, at an altitude of 4300m above sea level.

Its Peruīs answer to the Gulag, a communist type culture here inherited from the late seventies and eighties. Kids playing in the lead found naturally in the ground in the gardens of thier houses biult around the mine. This mine is propably the most famous mine in Peru, having started back in the early 1600īs, and the silver, lead and zinc found here is responsible to the development of Lima, the railway system in Peru, and also funded a couple of wars against Chile and Ecuador.

Some orphans of Cerro de Pasco.

Most kids look 5-10yrs older than they are, adults look 20 yrs older. Thats what living at altitude does to you. Life here is grim, very cold and miserable. These people have nothing, no bedding, no pillows, no heaters, nothing. Theyre often hungry.

Yet still people here are proud of their heritage and past, and are very nationalistic. Its refreshing.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:36:05 pm by BlueBull2007 »

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:38:47 pm »
More please. I have long dreamt about riding the lenght of South America. What is the country like away from the cities and how are the locals. Whats the economy like and the work situation.

cheers

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 11:58:49 pm »
Its going to take me a while to update a better and full picture, but I will come back to you on your QÂīs, Mark.

The mountain roads are AWESOME!!   :drif:  :drif:  :drif:  :drif:

You have passes that climb up to 5200m above sea level. Most of them are dirt, and some of them very rough. Imagine, driving for 3-4 hours to get to the top up something like Sani pass or Prince Albert pass.  Often you end up with cliff on one side of the road and 400m drop on the other. It takes character to ride in a cage on these roads, the biggest vehicle wins, and this would make any biker knuip a bit on the bends! I wouldnt try sliding round all these corners.

There are plenty of bikes here, but theyre mostly the crap from Taiwan and china, nothing above 125 cc. I rode a state of the art RTM  :biggrin: which was more a Honda look alike with zero oommph and squeaky suspension, no balance and let me tell l you Im not going to do it again! Not on these roads anyway.

They dont have BMW  bike dealer here, but there is a KTM and Honda Shop. A new 450 will set you US$9,000 (no way...! WAY), and 640 KTM can be bought for cash with discount for only USD17,000. Forget it. Id rather buy a couple at home and ship em out here for 5 sticks. yep that 5,000 dollars. Then there is import tax...anything between 3000 and 7000 dollars on a BMW 800 GS, if you do a importe temporal, you only have to give them a bank gaurentee for this amount, which you get back when the bike leaves the country. Its not cheap, but looking at these roads it is worth the pain.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:38:15 pm by BlueBull2007 »

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 12:18:47 am »
Locals are friendly, but 99% of them dont know a word of english. The local economy is doing very well, in many ways its similar to SA, in that there is boundless potential. Corruption is here, but not too prevalent. The crime situation is safe compared to SA. There are your usual crime stats in the cities, but there is a very very heavy police presence (something we could learn about back home) that ensures that peace prevails. Peru has big time drug problem, and guess what, most of the drugs go out from here to South Africa and Holland. My mate in interpol picks up a south african donkey here about once every two weeks here at least, and there must be over 100 south africans jailed here each year for shipping drugs via Sao Paulo. Consequently if you are South African, you are associated with drugs or smuggling. One needs to be aware of that.

Work is good: Businesses are required to pay 10% of their post tax profits to their employees, its 8% for mining companies. You get 15 salaries, company medical aid, and pension deductions, along with 30-38% tax. VAT here is 19%.

I really see this country booming in the next ten years, it has gotten over the terrorist issues, they are on the verge of siging a US trade agreement, and tourism is really underdeveloped compared to SA. To give you an idea of the potential, there are 3500 visitors to Macchu Picchu every day, and the average spent per tourist for the day is around USD500. They have a bit of white water rafting, trekking, boating, climbing, ice climbing, jungle walking, surfing etc, but there are simply not enough hotels about, and much of the tourist activities are rustic, and reasonably disorganized.

More coming soon....
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:43:19 pm by BlueBull2007 »

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 12:28:57 am »
Could someone explain to me how to embed the pics in the text please? Fixed, thanks!

On the Amazon side of the mountains you regularly get washouts and roads slide down mountains.

Of course this is where you see Peruvian driving at its best  ::)

The bus drivers on the main roads are lunatics. Lunatics. People regulary fall into gorges or hit other trucks/busses on the blind corners. Its a good reason to stay off the main roads.

On the amazon side of the mountains the river begin to swell:

Rivers the size of the Vaal and Orange are very common, even the tributaries to the Amazon are 3-15km wide. There is a serious amount of water here. Its a bit overwhelming for us africans.

This is a picture of Tingo Maria, known for its cocaine growing and its famous ridge overlooking the jungle town that looks like the "sleeping woman"  :patch:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:54:26 pm by BlueBull2007 »

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 05:16:01 am »
Thanks so much for posting, You need to use Photo Bucket or similar to do whole imbeding thing. Go to www.photobucket.com and register/open an account (it's free). Makes loading photos abreeze and you are able to embed your pics where you want in your RR's.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 05:28:35 am »
Thanks so much for posting, You need to use Photo Bucket or similar to do whole imbeding thing. Go to www.photobucket.com and register/open an account (it's free). Makes loading photos abreeze and you are able to embed your pics where you want in your RR's.
Sorry, Im a bit dumb with these things: So once Ive registered, then do I cut & paste the url in the "insert image" thingymabob thing or what?

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 06:03:15 am »
Sorry, Im a bit dumb with these things: So once Ive registered, then do I cut & paste the url in the "insert image" thingymabob thing or what?

Once registerred you upload the images into PHOTOBUCKET using the "CHOOSE FILES" simply open the file and upload, to embed in your report cop and paste the IMG Code under the Image.
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 06:21:29 am »
Thanks ou boet  :P

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 06:26:36 am »
Here's a step by step guide by MellowYellow

Step1
Log on to an image hosting Web site, such as Photo Bucket (http://www.photobucket.com/). This requires setting up an account, but only basic information is needed.
Step2
Click on "Browse". This brings up a window that allows you to access your saved photos. Double click on the file you want. It will automatically appear in the box next to "Browse". Once you see it in green, click "Upload".
Step3
Look for the photo to appear below the upload box. Next to it, you can see 4 lines of codes. Each code has a specific function, but the one you want is "HTML tag" and begins with "< hrefâ?Ķ?.>
Step4
Copy and paste the code into the text box of whatever you are posting. If it's a MySpace comment, place the cursor where you want the picture to appear and paste the code at that point. If it is for a blog, you may have to paste it and then re-arrange the positioning based on that particular blog site's directions.
Step5
Re-size the picture if it appears too large or too small. Usually if the picture needs re-sizing it's because it's too big (over 60K). Go back to the image hosting site and choose "Re-size" for the picture. From here you can choose to enlarge or reduce the size. Be sure to check whether you want the newly resized photo to replace the original or upload as a copy. Do this before clicking "OK" so you don't lose your original if you don't want to.

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 07:47:20 am »
Thanks for posting BlueBull2007

Very nice info and pics.
Quick question, do you get to travel much as a tourist?

One of my goals is to travel with my family to Peru to visit Machu Picchu, have you been?
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 03:18:08 pm »
Yes, you cannot come to Peru and not do Macchu Picchu. Its expensive, but it is the one tourist thing that is very well organised.

Cucso is 2-3 days drive from Lima, so most people catch a local flight for about $300.00 The drive is spectacular, and there a lot of things to see on the way.

Then its a four hour train ride down to Agua Caliente, followed by a 30min bus ride up to Machu Piccu itself. The day starts at 6 and ends at 9pm. Its a long day. I would suggest you travel the night before and stay in Agua Caliente for the night, so you can be up early before the crowds to do Pacchu Picchu. If youre early as well, you will have the opportunity to climb that peak you see in the background of all the pictures. Its about a two hour climb and has limit of 400 people per day. Total cost is around $500pp.

I would strongly suggest you have a look at some of the ruins in the sacred valley and around Cusco itself. Well worth it.

Having said that, Cuzco is a bit of a tourist trap. There are some other inca ruins that are much more interesting IMHO and arent nearly as touristic and expensive, but for these you need to spend some time in country.

There is really so much to do here, I think the best way to explore it is on a bike. Make sure if you come over you have at least a month, because Peru really is an amazing place.

I dont get all that much time off to explore at the moment, but I do get two months leave per year  :biggrin: So I have done a fair amount of travelling, for work as well. We are realy waiting for our bikes to come in, and then every weekend we will be doing something.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 03:18:58 pm by BlueBull2007 »

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 09:34:05 pm »
Thanks for sharing.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 05:17:06 pm »
Thanks for that
Very interesting
Rallye

BigEd

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 07:14:11 pm »
Nice one Bloubul! Lyk naais.

O, voor ek vergeet - WP!! ;)

Offline Hoofseun

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Hang on
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 09:33:45 am »
Hi there

Good information, can't wait till you get your trips organised and I believe this will lead to much more interesting information and more photos (now that you have been using Photo Bucket).

Maybe we should seriously consider saving for the 2010 FWC get away from here to where you are.  Best wishes for you and D and enjoy the biking.

Maybe I can also pick-up the photos from your SwaziTrax from PhotoBucket in some way or other, other email it to me, my email can take quite large size attachements.

:ricky:

"You are never to old to learn something new"

Johan Gray
BMW R 1200GS L/C

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 09:53:19 am »
Hola Blou bul! Como estas?

I've only visited Peru twice, but thoroughly enjoyed it.  The people are just brilliant! I'm jealous!

Remember a wild afternoon at the restaurant at the Jockey Club, after the owner (who is also a trainer) had his first win.

When you have time, head far south, into the Atacama.  Beyond the Nazca lines. (although you may stop at Nazca, there's a guy called Mikey, he has won the Peruvian rally title a few times, and he takes people into the dunes (+1000m high!) with V8 powered pipe cars - dune buggies.)  But carry on, until you reach the small fishing village of Lomas (Punta Lomas).  There a widow of an architect running a small lodge/hotel (just a few rooms, not 5 star).  It's brilliant.  Oh, and the olives and the ceviche camarones! Man, I'd go back there anyday, even if my Espanol makes the locals roll on the floor...

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 11:34:22 pm »
Hola Blou bul! Como estas?

I've only visited Peru twice, but thoroughly enjoyed it.  The people are just brilliant! I'm jealous!

Remember a wild afternoon at the restaurant at the Jockey Club, after the owner (who is also a trainer) had his first win.

When you have time, head far south, into the Atacama.  Beyond the Nazca lines. (although you may stop at Nazca, there's a guy called Mikey, he has won the Peruvian rally title a few times, and he takes people into the dunes (+1000m high!) with V8 powered pipe cars - dune buggies.)  But carry on, until you reach the small fishing village of Lomas (Punta Lomas).  There a widow of an architect running a small lodge/hotel (just a few rooms, not 5 star).  It's brilliant.  Oh, and the olives and the ceviche camarones! Man, I'd go back there anyday, even if my Espanol makes the locals roll on the floor...

Howzit,

Thanks for the post and advice. We have driven to Cusco past Nazca, from there you have to turn inland. Have also been exploring up north, but I think our next trip on our bikes will take us down past Punta Lomas. Will definitely stop by there.

Wow, most Safricans have never been here you must be one of the few rare people who have! Aparrantly there are less than 3000 SA citizens visitng here per year. If you are coming back please feel free to stay with us while you are in Lima.