Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: So what is Peru like? - Revisited in 2013  (Read 5363 times)

Offline Padvark (ex Gee-S-rider)

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
Re: So what is Peru like?
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 03:03:28 pm »
Hey BlueBull,

I'm green with envy that you have the opportunity to live there, and most of all bike there. I visited Peru three years ago (not on bike though) and have been longing to ride the great mountain roads. We visited the Manu biosphere reserve for five days of camping and the road leading there from Cusco is amazing as it transverses the mountain range and drops off into the jungle.

Post more pics of your rides, can't wait to see and dream.

Offline GO GIRL

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 12:08:36 pm »
BB what a privilege yep I was in Chile...but not for the pleasure of riding.....

the South Americas is certainly on my wish list to ride in..... :drif: :drif:

Must agree with you the people are amazing....not too mention the cuisine..... :thumleft:

You are very fortunate..... :)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 06:20:57 am »
BB what a privilege yep I was in Chile...but not for the pleasure of riding.....

the South Americas is certainly on my wish list to ride in..... :drif: :drif:

Must agree with you the people are amazing....not too mention the cuisine..... :thumleft:

You are very fortunate..... :)

Well get out here again, sis ;D we welcome WD's at our pad.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline GO GIRL

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 08:17:19 am »
and your missus also did a super trip up ther in the mountains...

How fortunate you both are... :mwink:

tell her to keep travelling and riding..... :thumleft:

Offline urbanXcountry

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 06:21:33 am »
Peru is awesome. It has everything from deserts to snow-peaked mountains and deep jungle. Here's a shot I took in the ica desert last year. I haven't done any motorcycling there yet, but hope to some day. The roads I have been on there are just calling out for a 650.

Offline urbanXcountry

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
Re: So what is Peru like? <updated with new pics>
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 05:46:03 pm »
I love your pics of the mountains & desert. I really need to spend some decent time capturing a few more photos like this. BTW  I updated the whole thread with a bunch of new photos.

More on Macchu Picchu for those of you interested, a taster  ;)

Of course everyone has the famous pic:

For me the scenery is more interesting than the place itself. But it is very remote. Its amazing that people decided to build this city so far from anywhere, no wonder it was never discovered by the Spanish. Actually the whole thing was covered in jungle when it was discovered less than 100yrs ago.

Apart from this there are a lot of really interesting historical sites, less visited by the casual tourist, and in many case far more spectacular. These I have kept back for future ride reports. You need time to visit this country thats for sure.

Here is another site of interest: A graveyard in the desert a couple of thousand years old. Slightly macabre...mummified bodies still with 2m long hair... :o

There are bones that have blown about everywhere...

Close to Lima are the pre-Inca ruins of Pachacamac (try to say that after drinking Brinkīs brandwurm!). It doesnt look like much in this photo but the place is huge.

Really sweet people. This place was used for young virgins selected at 3-5yrs to be "grown" until 15-16yrs of age. Theyre were then sacrificed privately by the priests.

Who knows what abuse these people were subjected to? A once "great" nation that now longer exists. Hmm, food for thought.

Lima is famous for its park of fountains. Theyre very spectacular and one reaches a height of over 82m.

Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline GO GIRL

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 04:38:35 pm »
WoW! Thanks for adding those stunning pics...must do this!!

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 10:41:43 am »
Definately the continent to ride through  :thumleft: Awesome pics
Pass this way once!

Offline The Badger

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Thank you SADF
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 01:39:48 pm »
Awesome report. Thanks and enjoy.
Good friends and fresh mud......

It is not about what you ride...... but WHO you ride with !

Offline fat b

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • BMW R 1150 GS ADVENTURE
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 08:57:00 am »
Very very nice to read ! Very refreshing !  :thumleft: 

THE CHALLENGE MAY NOT BE EASY , BUT IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE.
SO MANY PLACES, SO LITTLE TIME !

MOSSEL BAY

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 09:11:16 am »
Thanks to you I think South America is the mosyt beautiful place on earth.

I could so easily live there.

Offline Kaptein Bos

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 09:12:05 am »
Here is my famous pic as mentioned:  :biggrin:

Offline Kaptein Bos

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 09:13:25 am »
Oh and I was there:

Offline Just Blip It!

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I ride one of these! KTM990R ADV.
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 10:32:51 pm »
Awesome!
Riding Africa's lesser traveled tracks, discovering true adventure!
2012 KTM 990R Adventure.

Offline domstes

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2010, 08:51:08 am »
I just have to go.

BlueBull I am sure you are TIRED of answering all these stupid questions. BUT

Can you rent a good motorcycle there or is it better to buy one and then sell it again?

You say the bus drivers are CRAZY there so what it is the best way to get from ons place to the next if you do not want to drive yourself.

Offline Berm_Rooster

• is childish hooligan, not a
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Mossel Bay every other 6 weeks
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2010, 11:27:26 am »
BB, you gotta give us more man!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 05:05:28 pm »
I just have to go.

BlueBull I am sure you are TIRED of answering all these stupid questions. BUT

Can you rent a good motorcycle there or is it better to buy one and then sell it again?

You say the bus drivers are CRAZY there so what it is the best way to get from ons place to the next if you do not want to drive yourself.

You can rent a DS bike for around USD280/day. Its not so easy to do in practice because no one here wants to hire out their bikes. The smaller bikes KTM450 for about half that. Iīll rent you my 800GS for USD190/day for 1-5 days, or less for a longer period if you like. Im sure I could get a similar rate (maybe) if I speak to my KTM mates for a 990.

If youre going to do a long trip, its definitely better to buy one and sell it again.

The best way to get from A to B in Peru is by plane or bus if you dont want to drive yourself. Buses are cool if youre a locals and or a backpacker. Hiring a car is a good option, if you can handle Johberg traffic. Its worse here, but pissies will never be heros ;) The ultimate of course is motorbikes, and surprisingly I am able to handle the traffic easier on a bike than in a car, donīt be put off by the badass drivers, once you are out of town the main roads are basically empty compared to RSA.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 05:29:40 pm »
Ok this thread has been quite popular so it probably time for an update:

Living in Peru is cool because there are lots of interesting places to visit.

Here are a few photos from our trip last weekend in the Amazon jungle, which forms the biggest and most remote part of Peru by far.

We flew to Iquitos, about 2 hours from Lima, there are no roads to this jungle town, it is a three week journey by boat from the mouth of the Amazon. Or you can fly there. This is what the road in from the airport looks like. Lots of three wheeled moto taxi&acute;s trying to commit suicide everywhere.

Downtown Iquitos has a market with over 70,000 stores hidden in these buildings.

In the middle of the hustle and bustle I notice two small people having breakfast.

The river is really, REALLY huge, In Brazil it gets up to 30km wide. Where we were is was only 7km wide and on average 25m deep. Its hard to appreciate the true size of it, because often you are in one channel which seems like the whole river, and the banks are merely islands. To give you an idea, the difference in high and low water seasons is around 20 vertical metres, sometimes 30m if there is a lot of rain. So choosing where to live is important. Bangladeshis would not last long here.

I thought this was the river, but I was told it was only an oxbow lake on the edge of Iquitos. In the dry season they grow rice here.

We took a high speed boat trip for about hours downstream. Here is a view of part of the river:

We stayed a river lodge which was very nice. Its hot, about 35 degrees C and 100% humidity. The gringoes were all whinging about the heat and the mossies. Except us - Africa has made us tough!  :biggrin:

We went looking for fresh water dolphins. Theyre about 3m long and bright pink. Way too quick for a camera. Here is a typical river transport for the locals, though there are much bigger ships on the amazon too. Take a look at how low it is in the water.

Incidently yesterday they had an overloaded ship capsize about 3 km upstream from where we were staying, 180 people on board, 12 bodies so far. I guess more people can swim in the Amazon than on African rivers.

Here is a Blue Bulls rugby supporter on Saturday preparing to shoot blow darts with the local indian chief.  ;D

The Bulls get support everywhere in the world.  :thumleft: Of course we had to download the game and only watched it on Sunday night. Its hard not to get the result beforehand. But I digress.

I was quite good at the blowpipe thing, and was able to hit a 10cm wide target 30m away - A tree. That poison they have is very cool. Darts are so quiet, and the poison apparently paralyses a person in about one to two minutes. Perhaps I should put up some of these on Ebay to help with the crime situation back home.

These water lilies are 2-3m wide. They grow in about a week, and last a total of 5 weeks. A great anaconda hideout apparently.

Everything in the Amazon is big. From the trees...

This one is about 60-70m high, complete with its own ecosystem of plants, birds, lizards, snakes, monkeys and insects.

..to the spiders. Don0t be fooled by the leaves, this is a plate-sized tarantula:

Theyre fine, until you actually come accross one in the bloody bush!  :o Freaking HUGE and freaking scary. For me anyway.  :patch:
I have a pic of a bird eating spider somewhere too, theyre pretty unpleasant insects. You dont really want to touch them either. Even the hair on those things is caustic.

Walking through the jungle is an experience of note. Every living thing seems hostile and ready to eat you, plants that sting, insects trying to get to you to lay eggs that turn into flesh eating maggots, or maybe just to sting, difficult terrain to move in, thousands of mossies. Millions of frogs, most of the bright ones are highly poisonous of course. It sounds awful but its actually really spectacular and amazing too. It's eat-or-be-eaten country, and its amazing to see how much of it there still is. Hundreds, thousands of kilometers of virgin rainforest still exists in the upper Amazon. Just wear long sleeves and long pants if you go there, it makes life a lot easier. We all survived fine, but some of the group had perhaps 30-40 bites after our little 3 hour jaunt. Repellant doesnt seem to help.

There are also a lot of nice things in the jungle too. Like all the different monkeys, and tapirs and sloths. Here is a baby sloth, its mother was eaten by the locals  ::). Amazingly cool animals to play with. Here, Mrs BB about to hold the sloth. Theyre very clingy animals, she found they bite if their tummies are exposed. Not a painful bite mind you.

We did lots of boating, crusing up tributaries, watching birds, and piranha fishing etc. Its a kid's world allright. And they play alone out there in their boats.

They had caught a baby alligator and a turtle to show us.

Our guide was not impressed at all and told them in all seriousness to find an anaconda for the next group of tourists. I thought that was pretty amusing.

Sunrise over the Amazon:

An old guy doing something, I have no idea what, but he was pretty busy.

This is his house, notice the stilts for the high water.

Some kind of jungle raptor:

Thanks for following along!  :thumleft:

Offline Berm_Rooster

• is childish hooligan, not a
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Mossel Bay every other 6 weeks
Re: So what is Peru like? <updated May 28, 2010>
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2010, 03:04:59 pm »
Nice BB! :thumleft:

Good holiday destination?