So what is Peru like? - Revisited in 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBull2007

Bachelor Dog
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Seeing as photobucket stopped working for me I thought I would update this post with fresh pictures.

*I was asked to do a bit of a show &  tell on Peru because many of you have never been there but would love to go; and

*This plan of working here was somewhat driven by the idea that Peru would be good base to spend a few years biking South America from

I figured I would write a taster of what is to come, and perhaps a couple of words of advice for those wishing to come out here sometime. So forgive me for the lack of biking stuff at the moment, but I promise it will get better in time to come. So here goes:

Peru is a bikers paradise so long as you don´t spend too much time in Lima. You think the traffic is bad in South Africa? Forget it. Put it this way - The average cage driver in Lima would be killed by roadrage within 10 minutes in Jozie. I´ll never have a problem with taxis in SA again. The traffic here is terrible, not only are the roads totally overcrowded but people like to turn left accross four lanes of traffic without indicating. Its got to be seen to be believed.

729046891_Ms8HS-M.jpg

729046725_g2i9s-M.jpg

Lima is on the coast, and is very similar to Johberg actually, nice areas that would put Sandton to shame, surrounded by poorer areas with not much of a middle class.

729046140_MQg7K-M.jpg

If you dont have so much money, you can always live in Communist blocks ;D
729045484_FrnoH-M.jpg

The local golf course is excellent, but it costs $30,000 to join so that the cheap people can´t get in. A 250m apartment will set you back between $100-600k depending on your taste, but transport and food here is relatively cheap. We got a house for $450k, interest rate only 8%, fixed for 10yrs in 2007, I have been told its value is up by 30% since then:

729009943_aE8Zk-M.jpg

Some other houses, nice spanish influence:
729045940_JigQU-M.jpg

729045750_WEwqK-M.jpg

These guys pride themselves on their entrances:
729046255_QFAar-M.jpg

The food...ahh the food, its excellent, and the choice of resturants & cuisine here is unparalled.  This was our first taste of a peruvian raw fish dish: "ceviche" which I think is very nice, its serve with lemon jouice squeezed over and some chilli. Daleen hates it ;D

729010094_2WtdE-M.jpg