Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Regulator for ktm690 and whatever for trip  (Read 579 times)

Offline roburt

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Regulator for ktm690 and whatever for trip
« on: September 06, 2016, 02:33:41 pm »
Hi Guys,

I am planning to come for holiday in SA in december and want to do a quick 2000-3000km trip while i am there on my 690. So now I am in process of getting any possible spares I could need :-) and get it delivered to my dads place in pretoria

1. Fuel pump, this I will get from (http://www.fuelperformance.co.za/)
2. Paniers and bags will get from toys to go
3. Regulator, here i am trying to find out if I can buy somewhere in SA, do you guys know where I could pehaps get one in SA ?
4. Seat, here I am also still thinking if I should get a aftermarket cover like seatconcepts or just some sheepskin cover so still up for ideas here.

Any ideas or comments would be helpfull
GSA 1150,KTM 690,KDX 200

Offline Dux

Re: Regulator for ktm690 and whatever for trip
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 07:15:17 pm »
1. Fuel pump, this I will get from (http://www.fuelperformance.co.za/)
The 690 does not exactly have fuel pump problems that I am aware of , maybe source a spares fuel filter
2. Paniers and bags will get from toys to go
Good idea
3. Regulator, here i am trying to find out if I can buy somewhere in SA, do you guys know where I could pehaps get one in SA ?
Voltage regulator , once again not something problematic I am aware of , but I can source them locally .
4. Seat, here I am also still thinking if I should get a aftermarket cover like seatconcepts or just some sheepskin cover so still up for ideas here.
Seat concepts are great
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 08:32:43 pm »
You've hit onto 2 if the most common 690 show stoppers. The 690 fuel pumps are atrocious, I'm on my 4th.  Get a Pro-fill sock for the pump from Australia, it helps.  I had a RR failure.  Went up to 18 V with spikes beyond that.  I went for a Shindengen Mosfet RR.  Runs much cooler.  I have a spare Chinese copy, but the best is to buy of eBay and have it delivered to your house. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHINDENGEN-MOSFET-FH020AA-REGULATOR-RECTIFIER-KIT-REPLACES-FH012AA-/380704480069?hash=item58a3c15b45

An electronic volt meter helps if you do not want to retro fit the mosfet. That allows you to monitor the OEM RR.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 06:49:35 am by Bill the Bong »

Offline roburt

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 02:41:07 pm »
You've hit onto 2 if the most common 690 show stoppers. The 690 fuel pumps are atrocious, I'm on my 4th.  Get a Pro-fill sock for the pump from Australia, it helps.  I had a RR failure.  Went up to 18 V with spikes beyond that.  I went for a Shindengen Mosfet RR.  Runs much cooler.  I have a spare Chinese copy, but the best is to buy of eBay and have it delivered to your house. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHINDENGEN-MOSFET-FH020AA-REGULATOR-RECTIFIER-KIT-REPLACES-FH012AA-/380704480069?hash=item58a3c15b45

An electronic volt meter helps if you do not want to retro fit the mosfet. That allows you to monitor the OEM RR.

I have read quite a few ride reports and these are the ones giving the most ishues and some cable comming loose (i think it goes to the regulator or similar, luckily there is a fi code to identify)

Have you tried one of these fuel pumps ? I see they say it comes with lifetime warenty and I am also getting a added fuel filter for if I want to ride it up to tanzania (fuel here is super dirty).

Stupid question though, what do you mean a volt meter helps if you dont want to retrofit the mosfet ?
GSA 1150,KTM 690,KDX 200

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 02:59:12 pm »
The cable that comes loose is generally the small wires that lead to the coil.  Either the spade connectors work loose or they break at the crimps.  Also the wires that lead to the IAT sensor underneath the airbox get pulled out when removing the airbox to check the valves.  Also the leads on the battery and the 2 earth points where the wiring common earths are bolted to the frame can work loose.

The pump in your link is the standard Chinese eBay pump.  It works fine until it doesn't.  You can use only the pump in the kit.  The sock filters don't fit either the pump or doesn't fit into the pump receptable.  You need to order the Pro-fill sock.  Even the pipes in the kit are crap.

You use the volt meter to check that your voltage remain in the 13.8 - 14.2 V range.  The ECUs can shut down when approaching 15V (but works fine down to the 7 V range).  If it starts spiking, you need to replace the RR.  My RR was initially located behind the radiator.  It has now been relocated to the nav tower where it gets cooler air.

Offline roburt

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 12:34:57 pm »
OK cool, do you suggest getting one of these handle bar voltmeter jobbies :-), I see some of the gps's also has a voltage meter in them, will see if my model has that future as well.

For pump let me look around online as well for a better quality one. How many km's do you have on to have gone throuh 4 ? I am sitting on 12000km now
GSA 1150,KTM 690,KDX 200

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 08:37:10 pm »
The early tanks were pretty bad at leaching a black substance out of the tank material.  That clogged the filters.  Moving to an external fuel filter that could be easily replaced, solved that.  I also lost one when the tank breather got blocked, it pulled a serious vacuum.  The pumps are also very sensitive to heat (there is a video on the internet that shows how they cut out when heat is applied).  Obviously having a black tank in Upington does not help.

Offline roburt

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 01:52:15 pm »
Beeing up here in Tanzania I sometime miss new places that offer things (like gps4africa I saw for the first time last time i was in sa). I saw the folowing on wildogs http://www.motorradical.co.za/products/motorcycle/ktm/ktm-690-/Pa11143 , has anyone used these ? They look quite good and pricewize not bad. I am chatting to toys2go for there racks but these looks very nice as well
GSA 1150,KTM 690,KDX 200