Solo to Rhodes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Boss Hoss (all models)
When I swapped my KLR for the XR a few years ago, someone told me that the XR is more of an enduro bike than a long distance tourer compared to the KLR, so that is probably the end of my long distance touring. Well I didn't think too much of it, I just enjoyed the XR for what it was, a light-weight KLR on steroids.

So after owning the XR for 4 years the realization dawned on me, apart from one trip to the Snow Valley Bash, I hadn't done a single long adventure ride on my XR like I used to love doing so much on the KLR. The only riding I have done the past 4 years is technical stuff quite close to home, none of the packing a bag with a few clothes and a toothbrush and heading off for a few days.

I decided that I needed to do an overnight trip again and settled on a solo trip to Rhodes, with the aim of avoiding tar roads at all costs.

So Thursday morning at sunrise, just before 06h00 I left Hilton with a bacpack of tools, spare tubes, some drinking water and an empty 5l fuel container which I would nead for later in the trip. The first leg of the trip took me through the plantations of Baynesfield to Byrne, then down to the Umkomaas river to Hela Hela.

DSC05473_zpsmrnbxczd.jpg

DSC05475_zpsefutvyru.jpg

Stopped briefly for a look at the Umkomaas where I have started many conoe races and trips, sad sight, I have never seen the water looking as low

DSC05476_zpsy446cf0o.jpg

DSC05478_zps81q3sn6l.jpg

my trusty steed, fully packed for the trip

DSC05479_zpstaskagky.jpg

DSC05480_zpsyucr25kf.jpg