YAMAHA RECOVERY VEHICLE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRAVELTRAVEL

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Two weekends ago was once again the annual Henties Bay Fish Festival which is normally just another excuse for eating and drinking in copious amounts.

At short notice we decided to attend this and had to scramble around to try and find some sort of accommodation in Henties as this was supposed to be the biggest weekend of its kind in a long time. Fortunately we managed to secure a camping spot and WWH, Flossie , Shimbungu and myself started planning (not too much as it was only 100km up north on a boring good road to get there)

The Friday was a public holiday here and WWH and myself left Walvisbay around lunch time. Met up with Shimbungu in Swakop where I discovered one of the bolts holding the rear brake calliper on my bike had gone AWOL. Hunting around in Swakopmund on a public holiday for a suitable bolt was not easy. As usual I had all sorts of bolts and nuts in my toolkit except the correct one. Fortunately Shimbungu managed to find one from an acquaintance and we were on the road again.

To try and make it a bit more interesting, we used the track next to the salt road all the way to Wlotzkasbaken where we stopped for a beer and a fag.

Next stop was the campsite in Henties where we put up the tents and got ourselves sorted. Flossie still had some work to do and only started riding to join us later on in the afternoon. At about 17h00 I get a phone call from him getting informed that the chain on his XT had broken and he was stuck somewhere close to Jakkalsputz.

Fetching him was not a problem but what about the chainless XT? We did not have a spare chain and the first report was that the chain seems to have damaged the engine casing and jammed itself around the front sprocket.

I remembered all of a sudden a plan that we had made way back in the early 80's while living in Snor City when I piggy backed a friends Suzuki Waterbus on the back of my CB 750 Honda.(I normally struggle to remember what I had for lunch yesterday but way back seems not to be a problem)

Collected some spare straps and this was the result:(Eat your heart out 2SD!!) Anyway , Flossie rode pillion while keeping an eye on the XT and we managed to get back to Henties without any issue. As it turned out , the engine was not damaged but due to lack of suitable spares , the XT went back to Walvis on the back of a bakkie. Apart from this the weekend was a roaring success.

Attachments

• 20160826_161556.jpg
    20160826_161556.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 689
  • 20160826_161604.jpg
    20160826_161604.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 694
  • 20160826_163223.jpg
    20160826_163223.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 688
  • 20160826_174223.jpg
    20160826_174223.jpg