Digitaldan rides Donkerhoek and has lotsa fun !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
It's a sunny Saturday and the DRZ is all gassed up ready to ride. I decided to visit a nearby offroad riding area (Rhino park) to see how the Z would do. So of I went, some 20 minutes later I was ready to have some fun :D

DSCF4749.jpg

DSCF4751.jpg

This area has lots of sand and I think my tyre pressure was too high, I made it through ok but the front went from side to side like crazy. I have a new respect for the guys in the Dakar doing this day after day !
I had to ride home and I forgot my pump at home so I did not want to let the pressure go too low. There were some great dirt mounds to play on and the DRZ went up them like they weren't there. It always amazes me how easy this bike climbs. Now if I can only get comfortable in the sand. Some of the uphill sections.

DSCF4753.jpg

DSCF4754.jpg

DSCF4757.jpg

After the recent rain there were plenty of water as well and not alot of dust. Everyone was on quads or mx bikes but any dualsport should be able to ride here unless it's a really heavy bike with street based tyres.

DSCF4762.jpg

DSCF4764.jpg

DSCF4761.jpg

This little downhill was fun, I did this section three times.

DSCF4755.jpg

This was a very tricky little climb, see the DRZ at the top.

DSCF4758.jpg

There were some nice little open sections as well but lookout for the sandy patches !

DSCF4759.jpg

My favourite picture, she's a beaut !

DSCF4760.jpg

Then it was time to go, I remembered a dirtroad leading to Donkerhoek which I have passed many times so I decided to check it out. It was nice and hardpacked, I stood on the pegs and started humming the Dakar theme song .... I can dream can't I :roll: :wink:

DSCF4765.jpg

You can see just how much rain had fallen the previous day.

DSCF4766.jpg

Bike wash is on the menu.

DSCF4767.jpg

I took a turnoff to Mooiplaats and stopped for this pic of the valley below, nice and green !
DSCF4769.jpg

The cattle agreed.

DSCF4770.jpg

I also noticed the service road next to the train tracks, I have to explore that road sometime !

This was a nice little stretch, I parked the bike and had a drink. There was no one around, only birds chirping, ahhh peace and quiet I love it.

DSCF4773.jpg

DSCF4774.jpg

DSCF4775.jpg

DSCF4779.jpg

My version of an arty farty picture.

DSCF4776.jpg

Now this is dualsport country. Nice open dirtroads that stretched for miles.

DSCF4777.jpg

DSCF4778.jpg

I wanted to do more riding but noticed some storm clouds forming so I decided to call it a day. I had a great days riding. As I'm sitting here my DRZ is still dirty, hmmm good excuse to do some more trails tomorrow !

Also have to mention that my headlight setup and diy little windshield stayed on the bike so I guess they were a success.

Thanks for reading :thumbleft: