Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Crating bikes  (Read 978 times)

Offline Whethefakawe

Crating bikes
« on: September 12, 2016, 06:36:16 pm »
Time to tap into the bottomless well of esoteric knowledge on this forum......and if this is inappropriate for this section, please move it  ;D

I'm in SA on a family emergency, and taking the opportunity to pack up my shit that I sent to Joburg when my job in UAE evaporated with half the world's wealth in 2008. The biggest issue is the 9 or 10 bikes sitting in storage - my Maico, BSA and XR 650 are definitely going, but still undecided about 2 KTM mxers and 4 Honda XR 500's.

I am in Florida, close to Clearwater Mall, on my last SA jaunt the KTM shop there  offered me as many pallet bases as i could haul away, they just toss them when new bikes come in and are assembled. So that's a good start, just need a sturdy box over it and bikes tied down inside. I did it myself in 2008, and have very specific ideas of what needs doing.

Allow me a question or two:
1) I don't have time to do it myself - any ideas or contacts who can crate up a few bikes for shipment? Or anyone on the West Rand with a relevant business or skills/time who can help me out? If all materials etc are on site, no more than a 2 day job depending on how many bikes are going. I will pay well, have no fear  :lol8:

2) I am undecided about shipping back my two KTM's. (Although if I do, I will have a little museum of every KTM I've ever owned. A definite consideration). They are both in pristine condition though old. A 1999 250 SX that's converted to offroad with no money spared - suspension, intake/exhaust, armoured up etc. Maybe 40 hours on it. The other is a 2003 525 SX, with 7 hours. Bought after my big Baja crash and then I fell off it and broke some more bones  :lol8:  Both bikes are set up for a tallboy btw. Any input on prices and interest if I were to sell them here?

i'm really pressed for time, so if anyone has urgent ideas - please text or call me at 076 seven eight eight 3601.

Muito Obrigato.

You been using dogsh*t for toothpaste, Mullet?

Offline FrancoisTz

Re: Crating bikes
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 08:56:08 am »
When I left Dar-es-Salaam I got the KTM Dealer to built a crate from their pallet bases, took them a few hours and they charged me $300.00. Was a BMW 800GSA. Bike arrived in SA without a scratch, unfortunately was stoln shortly afterwards.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline Prototype

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR400
  • Drink something stronger and think again
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 09:30:44 am »
Sent you a PM. Am not a chippie but am handy with tools and have some time on hands and in GP at the moment if you are getting desperate...
In a previous life I rode a KLR.

Not much dust in NZ...

Offline Pom

• Amateur Grease Monkey
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Ducati Hypermotard
  • Non bastardus carborundum
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 11:08:12 am »
Just crated and shipped my hike to the UK. I went to Ducati and 5hey gave me a genuine steel shipping crate which the bike bolted into.  You may need to crate 5hem at the exporter as they will inspect the bike before it leaves. Also make sure you have all the paperwork in order. Police clearance and export permits as well as deregistered off Enatis
Success is a matter of hanging on, after others have let go.
Proudly Ducatisti

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 11:52:50 am »
is it cheaper to crate and ship than to sell and buy 2nd hand again?
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline lecap

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 11:58:39 am »
http://www.woodencrates.org/crating/South-Africa/

Lots of relevant contacts there.

Besides that if you ship as many as nine or ten bikes consider shipping a 20ft container speak to  the shipping co. with regards to loading the container and see what deal you can get. I am fairly sure a 20ft o9ntainer is cheaper than ten individual crates with bikes.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 12:01:16 pm by lecap »
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Online King Louis

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 03:51:02 pm »
If you use a container , no need to crate. Just tie them down properly and nail wooden blocks into the floor to stop the wheels from moving.

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 04:06:47 pm »
Thanks, gents.

The bikes were all imported, so now they'll retrace their steps. No ENATIS or anything. I'll have them crated here, and then picked up by the movers or freight forwarder. I anticipate using a 20 foot, or half of a 40 foot, container. The freight company will determine exactly how much I need. I had a 20 coming this way, but I've culled a LOT of what was in it. Should easily fit in less than 20.

Thanks for the feedback!
You been using dogsh*t for toothpaste, Mullet?