Crating bikes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whethefakawe

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Time to tap into the bottomless well of esoteric knowledge on this forum......and if this is inappropriate for this section, please move it  ;D

I'm in SA on a family emergency, and taking the opportunity to pack up my shit that I sent to Joburg when my job in UAE evaporated with half the world's wealth in 2008. The biggest issue is the 9 or 10 bikes sitting in storage - my Maico, BSA and XR 650 are definitely going, but still undecided about 2 KTM mxers and 4 Honda XR 500's.

I am in Florida, close to Clearwater Mall, on my last SA jaunt the KTM shop there  offered me as many pallet bases as i could haul away, they just toss them when new bikes come in and are assembled. So that's a good start, just need a sturdy box over it and bikes tied down inside. I did it myself in 2008, and have very specific ideas of what needs doing.

Allow me a question or two:
1) I don't have time to do it myself - any ideas or contacts who can crate up a few bikes for shipment? Or anyone on the West Rand with a relevant business or skills/time who can help me out? If all materials etc are on site, no more than a 2 day job depending on how many bikes are going. I will pay well, have no fear  :lol8:

2) I am undecided about shipping back my two KTM's. (Although if I do, I will have a little museum of every KTM I've ever owned. A definite consideration). They are both in pristine condition though old. A 1999 250 SX that's converted to offroad with no money spared - suspension, intake/exhaust, armoured up etc. Maybe 40 hours on it. The other is a 2003 525 SX, with 7 hours. Bought after my big Baja crash and then I fell off it and broke some more bones  :lol8:  Both bikes are set up for a tallboy btw. Any input on prices and interest if I were to sell them here?

i'm really pressed for time, so if anyone has urgent ideas - please text or call me at 076 seven eight eight 3601.

Muito Obrigato.