Pannier advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndlovu

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Ok. I suspect that this might have been discussed here a few times before, but humour me please as I can't find anything.
I'm looking for panniers for my 1190R and was considering the aluminium types. These would probably only be used when my wife tags along, which is quite often. When she is with, the riding is not technical at all. Odd gravel road type stuff. When alone, the riding can get a little technical, for this I am happy with a bag strapped to the seat/top box rack. Chatting to some guys who have had experience with hard panniers they say that these affect the handling horribly and make the bike very bulky. They believe that the frames hold the boxes too far from the bike, which is what causes this. Apparently my options are then to buy these and have the frames modified to get the cases closer to the bike (taking note of exhaust heat) or getting the original KTM plastic ones that clip directly to the frame of the bike. Not so sure I like the idea of plastic boxes though.
Some wise (not wise arsed  ;)) suggestions would be appreciated.