481 km around the Duivenhoks on two "old" Thumpers ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XRRX

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
I needed to go check on the level of the Duivenhoks river Northwest of Heidelberg, after the good rains over the weekend - for work related decisions to be made before Monday morning ...

As the weather was reasonable yesterday after the cold front hit us, I asked BB to join me by bike ... of course ...  ::)

He left his "Fancy multi cylinder modern two-wheeled over-powered complicated equipment"  ::) ::) home, and joined me on his trusty old DR ! :biggrin:

We decided to stretch the distance to Heidelberg a bit ... From PetroSA we took gravel towards Buysplaas and on to Herbertsdale. From here a bit of tar to Gouritsriver Poort, and then gravel all the way to Riversdale - running mostly parallel to the Langeberg. After breakfast at the Wimpy, we crossed swords with the N2 traffic for 20 odd k's before turning right on gravel towards the mountains. After my "site visit" - gaining valuable information, back to Heidelberg for a quick cold one.

Well we didn't want to go back on our previous tracks, so we took the gravel road past Gysmanshoek Pass and Korentepoort dam to Riversdale. From here we took the old postal route - running parallel to the N2 to Albertinia. Quick coffee stop at Engen Aloe garage - believe me - they serve great "Boeretroos" and a bargain R15 oversized Chip roll - and it's good!!!  :thumleft: :eek7:

From here the boring N2, but at the Cooper crossing we went right on the gravel towards Gouritsmouth and Vleesbaai. Then BB led me on an unknown (to me) little "plaaspad" to join up at Vleesbaai. The rest is history - just back home .... :(

What a great day and ride - believe me - there is some wonderful and very interesting dirt roads hidden in the South Coast !  ;)

Attachments

• Blandsdrif.Buysplaas.jpg
    Blandsdrif.Buysplaas.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 524
  • GouritsPoort.jpg
    GouritsPoort.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 529
  • GouritsPoort2.jpg
    GouritsPoort2.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 529
  • Duiwenhoks1.jpg
    Duiwenhoks1.jpg